Apr 20, 2024, 09:49 am

News:

New, New TardisBuilders!

Old Police Box Pictures

Started by chriskingbees, Jun 26, 2009, 02:26 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Scarfwearer

Quote from: oracle on Feb 14, 2012, 06:41 pm

Thanks for posting this Chris. And thanks for directing me to the forum (but for some reason the software here didn't let me use the Dalek prefix of my dalekoracle online name. So "oracle" it is)

Ah, that would be my fault... back when I was admin we were getting masses of new members with very similar names: doctor who, doctor_who, 1stdoctor, doctorwho1, tardis1, tardis10, tardis42, dalek1234, etc, so I put 'tardis', 'doctor' and 'dalek' on the reserved name list to try to get people to be a bit more imaginative and pick something less easily confused with other users. It's a bit of a blunt tool though.
If you want to change your account to dalekoracle, just contact the staff - they can lift the restriction and allow you to change your username to that. Or you can just change your display name if that will do.

Nice to see you here - I've been a fan of your dalek history research for a long time.

Crispin

Dalekoracle

Quote from: chriskingbees on Aug 03, 2009, 04:01 pm
I reckon it might just be the picture, Pete.
Have you seen this one:

HamptonHill.jpg CopyofHamptonHill.jpg

All I know is, the lady (As she is undoubtedly now) is called Brenda, and it's Hampton Hill.

KB

Chris knows this already, but to share with you all...... his pic was taken on the high street in Hampton Hill. Judging by the width of the road, and the width of the pavement that Brenda was standing on, and taking into consideration that the photographer would have been standing around 8 to 10ft in front of Brenda, this photo would have been taken from the spot my desk now occupies in my office. I see the same building accross the road when i look out of the window.
I like little coincidences like that!

:-)

Mark D

galacticprobe

Feb 15, 2012, 06:15 am #62 Last Edit: Feb 15, 2012, 06:16 am by galacticprobe
Yet another box with blue window frames and this time a blue frame around the Phone Panel door.

(I still say this is why the TARDIS got stuck - too many choices - and how it can explain the change in the TARDIS' look as the Classic Series progressed: first from the white window and phone panel frames [Pilot] to the blue phone panel frame [early series], then to the blue window frames [starting at the end of the Hartnell era], then going blue even with the Phone Panel sign in the Troughton era. The Old Girl kept trying to get it right, but never quite got there.)

Dino.
"What's wrong with being childish?! I like being childish." -3rd Doctor, "Terror of the Autons"

Mark

Some nice pictures there Mark. How spooky about that last photo and the position of your desk! Brilliant.

gerald lovell

Quote from: oracle on Feb 14, 2012, 06:54 pm
Shep Bush Green.jpg
The Sheperds Bush Green Box
Mark D

Just a thought, but I wonder if this is the box which inspired the appearance of the TARDIS in the first place, according to one of the legends as to how Anthony Coburn/C. E. Webber et al came up with the idea . . .

Dalekoracle

Feb 18, 2012, 11:54 pm #65 Last Edit: Feb 18, 2012, 11:57 pm by oracle
Back to Hampton Hill... been meaning to post this....

I took this photo the other day from the window next to my desk. I overlaid the photo of Brenda onto it. Everything lined up. Kerbsides, windows, buildings. Drainpipes. I was sitting at my desk at the time. (Mark, can you close the window, as its a little chilly - said my boss....)
It actually spooks me a little so i entitled it "the Ghosts of Hampton Hill".

Enjoy!

ghosts of Hampton Hill.jpg

Mark

That is well spooky. Especially as I have just closed the window...

domvar

I had a dream last night.  I had perfected my metbox mold and was driving around london in the dead of night sneakily putting boxes back where they had been removed from.

Mark

That's a brilliant idea! Could you imagine the look on the face of the Met, the Beeb and pretty much everybody else. pmsl

I'll hire a lorry, you find a crane

Kingpin

"TARDIS Police Boxes rematerialise on London streets!"

fedora

I am sure i heard this before in 1996 when the  earls court box was erected.
But it was just a police box !

Dalekoracle

A photo of the often mentioned but rarely seen / documented "Blackwall Tunnel" Southern end (on Greenwich Peninsula) Red Police/Fire Box has been submitted to www.policeboxes.co.uk for inclusion on the map. (its the "sister box" to the other Blackwall Tunnel box on the Northern approach (often referred to as The Mile End box... though its not actually in Mile End, its Blackwall. (never can understand why its called the Mile End box, but hey ho....)

I've emailed Gavin (policeboxes.co.uk) and the guy who took the photo and asked if its OK to upload it here.

Fingers crossed!

Mark D

Dalekoracle

Feb 26, 2012, 12:04 am #72 Last Edit: Feb 26, 2012, 12:16 am by oracle
Over on Francis Frith, you can just make out the Heston Town Centre Police Box, the roof and light poking up over the top of a hedge to the extreme right of the photo. Damn shame its the only view of the box on there.....

HESTON.jpg

Mark D

Dalekoracle

Hi All,

With huge thanks to Paul Mitchell for this photo, and also to Gavin Rymill @ www.policeboxes.co.uk for putting me in touch with Paul, I'm pleased to share Pauls photo of the Blackwall Tunnel South (Greenwich end)  Police / Fire Box.

Blackwall Tardis Greenwich.jpg

Like the "Mile End" Box (more correctly the "Blackwall Tunnel North" Box) this box was adopted by the Fire Brigade, painted red and used by them until the mid 80's.

As Paul says:

This scan of a Polaroid photo was taken in 1980/81 near the Blackwall tunnel when i was 11 yrs old at the approach leaving greenwich side & i remember seeing the other red one you have on your map from east india dock rd. I remember the 108 bus route used to stop below a bridge/flyover before or after(can't remember correctly) tunnel approach & there was a blue box that was in a sorry state on a bridge or a flyover,can't remember. Many Thanks Paul Mitchell

Regarding how the photo can be used, Paul kindly says:

Hi Mark, Please feel free to add the red box photo to said forum & wherever else you want to add it. Many thanks for your reply, Paul Mitchell

If you do reproduce, please can you credit Paul for the photo (I have added a copyright watermark)

Mark D

lorisarvendu

Feb 27, 2012, 10:43 am #74 Last Edit: Feb 27, 2012, 10:45 am by lorisarvendu
At last! The prodigal son returns.

I haven't been able to find any indications that anyone knows exactly where this box was, so I'm going to make a provisional stab myself.  Apologies if everyone already knows this.

From the look of those shadows the sun is low and coming from the west, which means we're we're approaching the tunnel from the Greenwich end, and it's probably late afternoon - which confirms what Paul remembers.

So the box is on the left-hand approach road, next to a wall that's about 7ft high (it goes up to the box's windows), and if you enhance the brightness of Paul's picture you can see that it's a brick wall.

blackwallsouth2.jpg

The road just ahead bends to the left, and there's some kind of low curving wall with grass or vegetation on top, which could be a roundabout.

Google Street View does give a good candidate here.  There's no building over the wall just behind where the box might have been, but there is a demolition site.  And there's a roundabout.  It's difficult to get the right section from Street View, and the box was probably much further back than I've indicated, but if anyone's in the area, the presence of a BT manhole cover would pretty much confirm the exact position.

blackwallsouth.jpg

Does this look feasible?