News:

New, New TardisBuilders!

Earl's Court Box

Started by chriskingbees, Jun 26, 2009, 02:03 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

chriskingbees

Jun 26, 2009, 02:03 pm Last Edit: Feb 03, 2010, 07:26 pm by Scarfwearer
Hi All
Here's the police box erected in 1996, outside Earl's Court tube station.

Earlscourt-2.jpg

Please feel free to add your own pictures

many thanks
KB

pod

Jun 26, 2009, 06:34 pm #1 Last Edit: Jan 20, 2010, 07:59 pm by scarfwearer
If it's of any interest to anybody here, I visited this box in december of 08, and took along my tape measure. I spent about ten minutes measuring it, while two cops watched me! Anyway, here are the dimensions:

Door panel width including bevel: 29cm
Door panel width without bevel: 27cm
Door panel height including bevel: 34.5 cm
Door panel height without bevel: 33 cm
Styles above/between panels width without bevel: 10cm
Door centre divider: 4cm
Base width: 143 cm
Corner post width including bevel/dowel: 17.5cm
Corner post width without bevel/dowel: 12.5 cm
Box width: 137 cm
"Police public call box" sign housing length: 122.5 cm
"Police public call box" sign housing height: 17 cm
Height from ground to top of corner post (not including post cap): 233 cm (approx)
Width between centre divider and door panel: 9 cm without bevel
Door width: 47.5 cm

dalethetimelord

Apr 21, 2005, 04:05 am #2 Last Edit: Sep 19, 2011, 04:54 pm by Scarfwearer
Is this box still there?  I know not what became of the wooden updated box, placed outside Earl's Court tube Station in 1996-odd... but the top of the box (where the lamp was) had become a CCTV camera!!

TARDIS01.gif
A black and white blue box.  There's novel.

purpleblancmange

Apr 21, 2005, 09:07 am #3 Last Edit: Jan 20, 2010, 10:23 pm by scarfwearer
Yes it's still there.  I had to go to London a few months ago to meet up with someone and I went there via coach and we got stuck in a traffic jam right next to this Police Box.  Boy is it looking a bit dirty now - it actually has black goo dripping from the roof and running down the walls!  I suspect this reflects living in the big smokey city.  Still, it added details, I suppose.

davidpk212

May 14, 2006, 04:47 pm #4 Last Edit: Jan 20, 2010, 10:23 pm by scarfwearer
UPDATE: It's still there! No alien goo though.

ulsteredz

Apr 04, 2007, 03:26 pm #5 Last Edit: Feb 07, 2010, 12:12 pm by Scarfwearer
I've heard that the Earls Court box has been described by some as oversized. Is this true? I've seen the box myself up close and it does look quite chunky for a met box (that said, it's the only one I've seen for real, so I can't really comment  ;D!).

pod

Dec 16, 2008, 12:05 am #6 Last Edit: Jan 20, 2010, 11:14 pm by scarfwearer
It's been twelve years since I last visited the box, when it was relatively new, but I have to report these days it doesn't look too great! It's no longer visible from the Earls Court tube exit, it's been "boxed in"by other buildings, onl the front and left side wall can be seen, and then only from across the road. The telephone has been removed completey, it's just a normal panel now. No other additional signage is visible anymore (ie track team carpenters plaque, etc), and there's a "No Smoking" sign where the St. Johns plaque used to be. It's also fairly grafitti'd up. I may be mistaken, but I thought the frot "Police public call box" sign had been replaced with a black one instead of dark blue perspex too.
Does wnybody know if this police box acually operates in this capacity any more or is it just a storage cupboard? I took a few pics through the windows and it appeared to be full of junk.

ironageman

Apr 04, 2007, 03:45 pm #7 Last Edit: Feb 06, 2010, 09:18 pm by scarfwearer
I've only seen pictures but my impression is that it's rather compressed vertically - not so much over-wide as under-height.
leonard cohen  1934-2016  standing by the window where the light is strong

peted

Apr 04, 2007, 05:33 pm #8 Last Edit: Feb 06, 2010, 09:18 pm by scarfwearer
I think the problem with the earls ct box looking squat comes from a number of factors - the roof stacks are quite short and the base plate is practically buried in the pavement.

avadh

Jun 14, 2007, 11:05 pm #9 Last Edit: Feb 06, 2010, 09:19 pm by scarfwearer
The earls court police box is one of my favourite police boxes. In comparison to other police boxes such as the crich and barnet bypass and glasgow boxes the earls court box is actually much wider. This box resembles the season 18 tardis in some ways in terms of height, width, and roof stacking.

policeboxnut

Aug 10, 2007, 03:34 pm #10 Last Edit: Feb 06, 2010, 09:19 pm by scarfwearer
I know it's been a while since I last posted - still I do remember seeing some photos of the Earls Court box being installed and the base is perfect - it's just buried about 3 inches in the ground. I did a comparison with the pics I took of the Crich box and there is no difference.
'It's only significant if you find significance insignificant' - Slipback

Mark

Aug 22, 2007, 11:16 pm #11 Last Edit: Feb 07, 2010, 12:12 pm by Scarfwearer
Made a detour specifically to visit this box while on work time, a couple of years ago! ::)

tardis02.jpg

Admittedly I hadn't got my tape measure (or trusty TARDIS Rebuilder Stepladders ;D)), but it did look to be pretty much in proportion to what is normally accepted.

There are quite a few difference though, the most obvious being the odd window arrangements.

The corner posts have a very slight difference in the round chamfer in that instead of the "standard" 3/4 circle, it is more of a circle (does that make sense guys?)

The police box signs are different and the box had (someone has robbed it since) a door knob and a seperate handle lower down.

When first built, the box also had the  St John Ambulance sign on the front Harnell fashion. This too was later robbed.

kyrephex

Sep 24, 2007, 02:56 am #12 Last Edit: Feb 06, 2010, 09:20 pm by scarfwearer
Just a quick story about this box -- I was in London back in May for the first time in a long long time, and the first thing I saw as I came out of the Tube was that box! And I knew it was going to be a good trip -- good luck charm and all that. And it didn't hurt that I saw another box at the Chelsea Garden show :)

doctor wholittle

Oct 12, 2007, 07:18 pm #13 Last Edit: Feb 06, 2010, 09:20 pm by scarfwearer
My fiancee` & I will be getting married next year in the UK & would love to find ANY existing PBs.  We'll be staying in London for the second half of our 2 week stay, so if you can provide any directions that aren't TOO far off the beaten path, please let me know!

Thanks --

The Doctor

throgmorton

Oct 13, 2007, 03:56 am #14 Last Edit: Feb 06, 2010, 09:22 pm by scarfwearer
I was down in London about a month ago now, September 16th.
Heres a pic of the missing panel if that makes sense?  ???

It looks as if its been ripped clean off.  :o

Is nothing sacred?  ::)

I wonder if its in some ones collection or if its just been taken for the sheer hell of it?? Vandals etc.
The door knobs missing too!

DSCF0578.jpg

Pic of Earls Court 'Watch box' with my son to give it scale.

DSCF0577.jpg

Pic of floor 'joint'
(some one previously mentioned this)

DSCF0594.jpg

If similiar pictures have been documented before else were than in this thread I apologise now.
Chris E.