Apr 20, 2024, 10:50 am

News:

New, New TardisBuilders!

New Exterior Prop for Matt?

Started by ulsteredz, Mar 02, 2009, 01:59 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Rox

Jul 21, 2009, 05:32 pm #120 Last Edit: Feb 06, 2010, 04:00 pm by scarfwearer
If that's the case nesshane, it kind of suggests (as the TARDIS is living) that the Chameleon circuit isn't so much broken but the TARDIS enjoys being a blue box...  :D
My pilot's license? That's out back in the Cessna. Or perhaps you're referring to my license to kill. Revoked. Trouble at the Kazakhstan border.

I could give you the details but then I'd have to kill you, which I can't do because my license to kill has been revoked.

Teletran

Jul 21, 2009, 09:11 pm #121 Last Edit: Feb 06, 2010, 04:02 pm by scarfwearer
Quote from: scarfwearer on Jul 20, 2009, 06:56 pm
It would be like Star Trek ditching the Enterprise, or Blakes 7 ditching the Liberator. Ah...

Crispin

and yet everyone likes star trek 4...

I once put some thought into a continuation of doctor who, prior to the new series, one of the concepts I was floating was that the chameleon circuit was fixed but that the databank that fed into it was still fried so the police box became the default but the doctor could manually input something else if the occasion called for it.
(http://img194.imageshack.us/img194/1360/omni02g.jpg)

anita

Jul 21, 2009, 10:27 pm #122 Last Edit: Feb 06, 2010, 04:02 pm by scarfwearer
Quote from: zbignievhamson on Jul 20, 2009, 06:42 pmMuch as I love police boxes (obviously) I don't think it would be the biggest crime in the world to ditch it in the series at any point in the future. Having a working chameleon circuit could be quite interesting.

That would be as daft as composing a new theme tune!
Doctor Who without a police box shaped Tardis would cease to be Doctor Who.

lorisarvendu

Jul 21, 2009, 10:53 pm #123 Last Edit: Feb 06, 2010, 04:03 pm by scarfwearer
Quote from: doctorwho8 on Jul 20, 2009, 03:09 pmWell, now Matt Smith looks like a mix of TVM Sylvester McCoy and little Patrick Troughton...

Steven Moffatt's almost the same age as me (by 10 days), so I reckon he's got a distant fond memory of watching Pat Troughton when he was a kid.  He'll probably quite like the slightly shabby "Science Teacher" look that Matt is sporting here, and he might have had a hand in directing the wardrobe dept in that area... ;)

Sorry, bit OT there...

niktob

Jul 22, 2009, 02:52 am #124 Last Edit: Feb 06, 2010, 04:03 pm by scarfwearer
The problem with the dirty look vs the clean look is that, like so many other sci-fi shows, the reality of the TARDIS exterior has been explained in contradictory ways over the years.   This has been especially so under RTD's reign.  The hull is supposed to a "plasmic shell" that is indestructible according to the original series.  That's why the outside and inside always looked so different and why it shouldn't have needed any extra shielding as in Parting of the Ways.   

Yes, yes I know we had the lines about the Dalek fleet learning how to fight TARDISes and it becoming plain old wood in Journey's End . . . but come on - that just doesn't make sense!  How can something that just LOOKS like wood actually become wood.  And if the shell was just wood, how was it able to remain dimensionally transcendental?  Like so much of the new series, any science questions (no matter fictional) were often given fantasy answers instead of internally consistent scientific answers. 

Okay, this has turned into a rant - back to the new TARDIS! ;-)  I like the new look and think that based on rumors it will involve some kind of a reset.  And I cannot wait to see the new interior! 

DoctorWho8

Jul 22, 2009, 03:36 am #125 Last Edit: Feb 06, 2010, 04:03 pm by scarfwearer
I saw pics of Matt Smith tossing around a new Sonic Screwdriver.  Seems to blend elements of the Eccleston/Tennant one with the Pertwee/T Baker/Davison model.  But that's another topic.
Bill Rudloff

dustyfro

Jul 22, 2009, 06:17 am #126 Last Edit: Feb 06, 2010, 04:03 pm by scarfwearer
But the real question is: What's it like INSIDE?
x Hannah

bollo

Jul 22, 2009, 11:34 am #127 Last Edit: Feb 06, 2010, 04:03 pm by scarfwearer
Here is a really nice shot from filming, over at http://blogtorwho.blogspot.com/

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_KTJWhtuRLac/SmY0e8XCcII/AAAAAAAAICk/BfjM7U7haps/july21_filming5.jpg

Very Peter Cushing. I'm warming to it.

EDIT: Fixed the picture link - Crispin

zbigniev hamson

Jul 22, 2009, 07:38 pm #128 Last Edit: Feb 06, 2010, 04:04 pm by scarfwearer
Quote from: anita on Jul 21, 2009, 10:27 pm

That would be as daft as composing a new theme tune!
Doctor Who without a police box shaped Tardis would cease to be Doctor Who.

Well feel free to disagree, but no need to call it daft it's only an opinion :p

I personally think it's daft to think that what the TARDIS looks like is the be-all and end-all of Doctor Who. It's usually only seen at the beginning and end of a story, it's not even featured in some stories at all. As much as I (obviously) love it, there's a lot more to the show than the TARDIS, and certainly a lot more than what shape the TARDIS takes.

Also, I can imagine that a lot of the fun for children watching back in the sixties is that they actually saw real police boxes out on the street and I'm sure they got a kick out of that. That's been completely lost on audiences for a long time now, and I'm sure kids today would quite like it if it suddenly looked like something they actually see again.

Obviously it doesn't make sense from a marketing or publicity point of view, but then I'm just a fan not a toy manufacturer so that's not really my concern.

It could even survive a change of theme tune really :p

mordrogyn

Jul 22, 2009, 10:19 pm #129 Last Edit: Feb 06, 2010, 04:04 pm by scarfwearer
Well i have 1 major problem with the new prop as I believe I said elsewhere, the Fresnel lens and the 2005 weather cap just don't look right together.
Either bring back the 2005 Parisian lantern looks or redesign the lamp housing, it looks like it was just thrown together.

Apart from that it looks pretty much the same to me. Hard to tell if the windows are smaller or just look that way with the white framing and lack of internal light.

Well a quick glance at TARDIS builders cleared that up for me lol
(http://i50.tinypic.com/20kan9v.jpg)

Teletran

Jul 22, 2009, 11:43 pm #130 Last Edit: Feb 06, 2010, 04:04 pm by scarfwearer
Quote from: bollo on Jul 22, 2009, 11:34 amHere is a really nice shot from filming, over at http://blogtorwho.blogspot.com/

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_KTJWhtuRLac/SmY0e8XCcII/AAAAAAAAICk/BfjM7U7haps/july21_filming5.jpg

Very Peter Cushing. I'm warming to it.

EDIT: Fixed the picture link - Crispin

I like the one with the soldiers, the proportions look quite good but the scale! its just too big!

Teletran

Jul 23, 2009, 02:09 am #131 Last Edit: Feb 06, 2010, 04:04 pm by scarfwearer
reduce it to 3/4 scale and give it a dirt wash and I'd be quite happy with the new build.

daleknut

Jul 23, 2009, 12:23 pm #132 Last Edit: Feb 06, 2010, 04:05 pm by scarfwearer
OK its the mk3, so anyway overall not keen don't like the colour never been keen on white window frames (sorry to those who do) or the st john's badge even though i'm a member. like the lamp and its over all size though..
I know they change things so people buy new toys like the new sonic screwdriver
but in this case i wish they had just left it alone..

dalekprime

Jul 24, 2009, 07:13 am #133 Last Edit: Feb 06, 2010, 04:05 pm by scarfwearer
The white window frames are just so starkly white against the blue and the (are they really) black and gray windows.  Hmm.  Love the lamp.  Love the costume.

handofomega

Aug 01, 2009, 10:52 pm #134 Last Edit: Feb 06, 2010, 04:05 pm by scarfwearer
I think that it looks very similar to the David Tennent prop overall.  Just minor cosmetic differences of new Windows, St.Johns Ambulance Badge, Lamp and Colour scheme.   I like the changes, but I do hope that they haven't gone completely away from the lit up windows, and signs.   That was one of the things about the new series prop that endeared me to it.   I like that it lit up as opposed to the old series.