Mar 28, 2024, 10:29 pm

News:

New, New TardisBuilders!

New Exterior Prop for Matt?

Started by ulsteredz, Mar 02, 2009, 01:59 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

bollo

Jul 20, 2009, 03:30 pm #105 Last Edit: Feb 06, 2010, 03:57 pm by scarfwearer
I always find it's a prop that looks best if you crop the picture so you can only see the front elevation, without the roof - and then squint a bit.
We'll get used to it.

pod

Jul 20, 2009, 05:08 pm #106 Last Edit: Feb 06, 2010, 03:57 pm by scarfwearer
Quote from: zbignievhamson on Jul 20, 2009, 02:56 pmI think it looks more like a toy than ever. Pretty cheap and tacky really. It's exactly how I felt about the new prop back in 2005, although somehow I've got used to it over the last 4 years. This new paintjob just brings back all those feelings again. It looks like something out of an old fanvid from the early 90s or something.

^This.
The first time I saw this new version (earlier today!) I thought it looked like the TARDIS as rendered in the 60's annual comic strips. Cartoony, silly and inaccurate. A friend of mine said it best: "It looks like a really badly made backyard fanbuild."

niktob

Jul 20, 2009, 06:08 pm #107 Last Edit: Feb 06, 2010, 03:57 pm by scarfwearer
What can you say? It's the Tardis!  To me, the worst possible thing that they could do would be completely dtich the Police Box design.  Since they didn't do that, I'm fine with it.  I also think the older look will be partly explained by the redesign of the interior that I've read about it. Looking forward to that pic too!

zbigniev hamson

Jul 20, 2009, 06:42 pm #108 Last Edit: Feb 06, 2010, 03:57 pm by scarfwearer
Much as I love police boxes (obviously) I don't think it would be the biggest crime in the world to ditch it in the series at any point in the future. Having a working chameleon circuit could be quite interesting.

Scarfwearer

Jul 20, 2009, 06:56 pm #109 Last Edit: Feb 06, 2010, 03:58 pm by scarfwearer
Quote from: zbignievhamson on Jul 20, 2009, 06:42 pmMuch as I love police boxes (obviously) I don't think it would be the biggest crime in the world to ditch it in the series at any point in the future. Having a working chameleon circuit could be quite interesting.

It would be like Star Trek ditching the Enterprise, or Blakes 7 ditching the Liberator. Ah...

Crispin

policeboxnut

Jul 20, 2009, 08:24 pm #110 Last Edit: Feb 06, 2010, 03:58 pm by scarfwearer
When I first saw it, I thought it was a practical joke.

But now I come to examine it in more detail, and the initial shock of seeing it has worn off, I only have one thing to say.

It's too clean!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The TARDIS is a battered old Police Box. That picture shows a very very clean looking, non battered police box with shiny brass and gleaming white window surrounds.

No no no no no no no no.

Sorry.
'It's only significant if you find significance insignificant' - Slipback

DoctorWho8

Jul 20, 2009, 10:03 pm #111 Last Edit: Feb 06, 2010, 03:58 pm by scarfwearer
Who is not to say this is a brand-spanking new TARDIS, and the Doctor WANTS it to look clean and tidy.  We have yet to see the console room.  If it is supposed to be more futuristic looking, then it may work better with a clean and tidy exterior.
Bill Rudloff

Quote from: policeboxnut on Jul 20, 2009, 08:24 pmWhen I first saw it, I thought it was a practical joke.

But now I come to examine it in more detail, and the initial shock of seeing it has worn off, I only have one thing to say.

It's too clean!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The TARDIS is a battered old Police Box. That picture shows a very very clean looking, non battered police box with shiny brass and gleaming white window surrounds.

No no no no no no no no.

Sorry.

TG

Jul 20, 2009, 10:08 pm #112 Last Edit: Feb 06, 2010, 03:58 pm by scarfwearer
Blimey, A real fresnel and white windows and a St John badge!
It's what I was hoping for....well no, I wanted it to look like my TARDIS

but it is a step forward, in a NST sort of way
Yep, I have to say I prefer it to the original NST  :)

but as you say it needs to get dirtied down

karsthotep

Jul 20, 2009, 10:46 pm #113 Last Edit: Feb 06, 2010, 03:58 pm by scarfwearer
I approve of it as well, I like the changes that were made and I can live without it being super dirty,  It will get there naturally in time.  I like it. 
I want notes, lists and answers by the time I finish this here Juicy-a-Box! WARNING: I am Thirst-ay! And it is Fruit Punch! And it is Delicious!"

barry

Jul 20, 2009, 11:43 pm #114 Last Edit: Feb 06, 2010, 03:58 pm by scarfwearer
They've managed to make it look like a toy. Maybe that was their cunning plan?

Hopefully it's pristine and new looking due to the story line, otherwise...

I'm just not buying it. Bye, bye, darling.

Barry

Doctor Iz

Jul 21, 2009, 04:11 am #115 Last Edit: Feb 06, 2010, 03:59 pm by scarfwearer
Quote from: chriskingbees on Jul 20, 2009, 02:18 pmWell, here it is

MattsTardis.jpg

I don't know, exactly what to think, at the moment, but, let the discussion begin

KB

Okay,
I am not a guy who likes a lot of change.  This new NST MkII.I appears to be very nice.  Again, I am partial to what I am used to.  I suppose that comes with age.  The colour is quite very nice.  It looks almost like a 'blue' stain vs. an emulsion. 

The white window frames will take some getting used to.  I am sure our Met Police Box fans will enjoy this new change along with the St. John's emblem.  In terms of the window frames, I am surprised they did not make them a bit chunkier.  It's hard to tell from the photos, but it does not appear to be as wonky in construction.  Some minor upgrades, but I am sure they put some more time into this rendition. 

Now, the thing I particularly like is a the Fresnel... That is a nice change!

I know there was some rumors, but what a great surprise.  I wonder what the console room will look like?

Just my two pence worth...

cheers,
Jon
(http://i67.photobucket.com/albums/h310/jonizdo/Logos/DRIZ_rev20080226copy-2.jpg)

dustyfro

Jul 21, 2009, 06:47 am #116 Last Edit: Feb 06, 2010, 03:59 pm by scarfwearer
The lamp looks pretty odd to me.  And I agree that it needs to be battered up a bit.  Put a few battle scars on 'er!

Am I the only one that's stoked about Matt Smith's bowtie?  "He needs to cut his hair and put on a tie" I said.  And so it was!
x Hannah

Rox

Jul 21, 2009, 09:06 am #117 Last Edit: Feb 06, 2010, 03:59 pm by scarfwearer
Quote from: zbignievhamson on Jul 20, 2009, 06:42 pmMuch as I love police boxes (obviously) I don't think it would be the biggest crime in the world to ditch it in the series at any point in the future. Having a working chameleon circuit could be quite interesting.

That's fightin' talk round these parts...   ;)   ;D

You could probably get one, maybe two episodes out of that, but that's all, because...

Quote from: scarfwearer on Jul 20, 2009, 06:56 pm
It would be like Star Trek ditching the Enterprise, or Blakes 7 ditching the Liberator. Ah...

Crispin

As a kid, I remember hating it when the Liberator in Blakes 7 got replaced...  Was the replacement the Scorpio?  Haven't watched Blakes 7 since it was on originally...   :(

Top rule, don't upset the kids...
My pilot's license? That's out back in the Cessna. Or perhaps you're referring to my license to kill. Revoked. Trouble at the Kazakhstan border.

I could give you the details but then I'd have to kill you, which I can't do because my license to kill has been revoked.

lorisarvendu

Jul 21, 2009, 11:05 am #118 Last Edit: Feb 06, 2010, 03:59 pm by scarfwearer
Quote from: pod on Apr 04, 2009, 09:55 amAs for the new police box prop for Matt Smith.... Nnnnnnyeeeah... I highly doubt it. I would LOVE it, but I don't think we'll see it. I'd love nothing more than for the NST to become a "classic" design and for a more trad box to appear, but something just tells me it won't happen.

It's fine to be skeptical, but unfortunately when you're so vociferous, people will quote you!   :)

I personally wonder if the sign has been fixed and now reads "officers" plural.  A small thing I know...but then if I wasn't so picky why would I even be on this board. ;D

nesshane

Jul 21, 2009, 12:54 pm #119 Last Edit: Feb 06, 2010, 03:59 pm by scarfwearer
I have heard another rumour regarding the TARDIS' new clean appearance.

Possible SPOILER (Rumour)

The Doctor due to events in the final special has to grow a new TARDIS (hopefully from a piece of the old one)
and this process re-sets the TARDIS to it's original appearance, this would certainly help explain how over the years the shape and size has changed as the old girl got older etc.. and had a midlife face lift in 2005.

I do agree with others in that it does look like a toy, interestingly the prop suffers from what our own fan built TARDISes do and that is looking different if a flash is involved, one of the images from the UK papers had this new TARDIS looking dark blue, not the almost electric blue in some of the shots.

Anyway Doctor Who is always about change and how it thrives on this...

Cheers - Shane