May 01, 2024, 10:07 pm

News:

New, New TardisBuilders!

TARDIS Shell w/ Door, 2 walls but no back...

Started by chr0nic, Nov 01, 2009, 11:38 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

chr0nic

Nov 01, 2009, 11:38 pm Last Edit: Nov 27, 2010, 08:47 pm by Scarfwearer
Howdy,

Just had a question for all the seasoned vet's out there... I want to build a full-scale TARDIS to place in front of a doorway. What I hoped to do was have the complete shell against the existing doorway (old door removed) and use the double-doors as an entry to the room.

I know that Crispin has done this with his console room; I guess my question- being a newbie to both TARDIS building and major project work in general- is will I have to reenforce the side-struts to cope with the lack of a rear wall?

Sorry I have to cut this short- I am having all  sorts of computer issues. Thanks in advance for any replies.

Cheers, |chr0nic|

chr0nic

Nov 02, 2009, 09:09 pm #1 Last Edit: Jan 17, 2010, 08:49 pm by scarfwearer
QuotePosted by Scarfwearer on Today at 1:48am - I built a plywood arch that goes through the back of my TARDIS and also through the doorway in the wall. In my case it's mostly decorative, but it also holds the TARDIS steady...

I'll have to re-watch your video and see if I can spot it!

Cheers guys for the help  ;D

|chr0nic|

kiwidoc

Nov 02, 2009, 05:12 am #2 Last Edit: Nov 27, 2010, 08:47 pm by scarfwearer
I don't think you'd need anything special in the sides, the bracing is from the connection of the sides with the base and signboxes and the back wall isn't a big part of it really - which is why the TV props (and my replica) could have opening doors in both front and back and still be structurally okay.  The sides are so heavy that gravity holds TARDISes together quite happil by pulling everything toward the earth, but of course if there is any chance of them being hit from the side, you want to build it so that it has as little sidways sway as possible (ie multiple connections in the Signbox, and the roof sitting inside the top of the walls.

Cheers, glen

Scarfwearer

Nov 02, 2009, 02:48 pm #3 Last Edit: Nov 27, 2010, 08:47 pm by scarfwearer
As Glen says, depending on how you make it, a TARDIS can be quite laterally stable. I built a plywood arch that goes through the back of my TARDIS and also through the doorway in the wall. In my case it's mostly decorative, but it also holds the TARDIS steady...

Crispin