New, New TardisBuilders!

Newbery Box Plans

Started by lespaceplie, Sep 30, 2009, 06:44 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

lespaceplie

Sep 30, 2009, 06:44 pm Last Edit: Oct 16, 2012, 07:03 pm by Scarfwearer
Here's the first stab at the plans:
http://www.doctorwhoscarf.com/drwho/newbery.pdf

Purp tells me despite the metric plans, the prop was built more or less to imperial standards. For this reason I have chosen to draw imperial plans that try to look more like the prop as we have seen it before any major modifications or with the best bits. This means it has a proper fresnel with 3 supports, a beveled door divider but no Logopolis and future redressing.

Please test, render and correct the plans. Later I will add the top view and appropriate dims.

DoctorWho8

Oct 01, 2009, 12:44 am #1 Last Edit: Jan 24, 2010, 10:59 pm by DoctorWho8
You and I seem to be treading the same waters.  I've got mine over in the TV TARDISes section.  Here's mine.
http://billrudloff.com/NewberyTARDIS.pdf
Bill Rudloff

zbigniev hamson

Oct 01, 2009, 09:36 pm #2 Last Edit: Mar 05, 2018, 01:29 pm by Scarfwearer
Just for reference, here are the dimensions I used in my Sketchup build. These were just made assuming a 78 inch door height and estimating the other dimensions as best I could from photographs.

dims.jpg

I know there are at least 3 threads knocking about at the moment that are covering this subject, but I decided to put it here :)

lespaceplie

Oct 18, 2009, 08:15 pm #3 Last Edit: Mar 26, 2012, 04:40 pm by lespaceplie
The plans have been tweaked. The door span is a bit wider. The lintels are a smidge taller. The posts are taller.

Also remember:
panel bevels are 5/8" deep / 45 degrees
lintels and top roof step corners do not terminate at center of posts - they're wider

http://www.doctorwhoscarf.com/drwho/newbery.pdf

DoctorWho8

Sep 29, 2009, 04:15 pm #4 Last Edit: Feb 06, 2010, 06:33 pm by Scarfwearer
OK everyone, thanks to the person who sent me scans of the original Newbery plans. Using that as a template, I made a new one based on what the prop actually became once built. I leave it up for corrections/comments. The plans were in metric, so mine are too and are at a 1/10th scale. http://billrudloff.com/NewberyTARDIS.pdf
Bill Rudloff

DoctorWho8

Nov 29, 2009, 09:13 pm #5 Last Edit: Jan 24, 2010, 11:11 am by scarfwearer
Ah, those were off my old AOL site, which of course is gone.  The originals are on a set of floppies at my mom's house.  Perhaps it's time I go back and remake them, since now there are better quality pics out now versus 12 years ago.  Best I can do is give you the link to the preview image.
http://billrudloff.com/Doc8.jpg
Bill Rudloff

atomicgraph

Sep 29, 2009, 10:45 pm #6 Last Edit: Feb 06, 2010, 06:32 pm by scarfwearer
nice plans there bill. i've always thought that if i did another build it'd be the newbery or the altered bracchacki.

fivefingeredstyre

Nov 29, 2009, 09:23 am #7 Last Edit: Feb 06, 2010, 06:32 pm by scarfwearer
Hi Bill,

I've tried clicking on the link, but it doesn't seem to work... Any chance of a re-up?

Steve

DoctorWho8

Nov 29, 2009, 04:57 pm #8 Last Edit: Feb 06, 2010, 06:32 pm by scarfwearer
Yahoo closed Geocities last month, but it should route my old Geocities links to my new address.  Even so, I went it and updated the link.  Just tested it and it works.
Bill Rudloff

chriskingbees

Nov 29, 2009, 08:01 pm #9 Last Edit: Feb 06, 2010, 06:32 pm by scarfwearer
Hi Bill
Another great plan, but I wanted to see the Moody Blues on Mars,
After all:

#The chances of seeing the Moody Blues on Mars,
are a miilion to one they said#

Seriously, I'm not being facetious, I've been a Moody Blues fan all my life, though I can't hear the music any more and would like to see your images.

KB

PS Jeff Wayne I know, but Justin on vocals

The Other

Hello everyone this is my frist time so I hope Im doing this right. I want to build a Newberry box and when I was looking around the site I notice that the cross beams on the door looked skinner then the vertical ones. Is this ture ??? Thanks 
The Other

rocket

Love the Newberry, after all it's the prop I watched most as a child. If I ever build a Police Box, it'll be this one for sure.
Farewell Sarah Jane, you will be missed.

mechanoid

Nov 06, 2010, 01:35 am #12 Last Edit: Nov 06, 2010, 01:35 am by mechanoid
Quote from: charter on Nov 05, 2010, 03:09 am
Hello everyone this is my frist time so I hope Im doing this right. I want to build a Newberry box and when I was looking around the site I notice that the cross beams on the door looked skinner then the vertical ones. Is this ture ??? Thanks  

Hi there , welcome! I think you may find you may be looking at a lower resolution than 100% in the PDF window. It does distort if viewed below 100%.
They look the same at 100%.
Regards

deck5

Quote from: charter on Nov 05, 2010, 03:09 am

Looks the opposite, to me.  The cross beams appear to be slightly wider than the vertical beams.

lespaceplie

The plans have just been slightly refreshed. The top view is there, and a typo in the door dims has been fixed. There are some subtle changes in the lintel and roof dims, too.