New, New TardisBuilders!

Hudolin Movie Prop Plans

Started by lespaceplie, Oct 02, 2009, 04:21 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

lespaceplie

Oct 02, 2009, 04:21 pm Last Edit: Mar 03, 2018, 12:00 pm by Scarfwearer
Here's the start of the plans for the Richard Hudolin box for the 1996 movie:
http://www.doctorwhoscarf.com/drwho/moviebox.pdf

This one looks the most solid of them all to me. I'm not sure the base or lamp are right - each is a guess based on mediocre photos.

lespaceplie

Oct 18, 2009, 07:18 pm #1 Last Edit: Jan 17, 2010, 08:45 pm by scarfwearer
I haven't added anything (mostly studying Newbery prop at the moment). I'm very confident about the basics for this prop, though. I'll add the roof dims shortly.

DoctorWho8

Oct 03, 2009, 01:40 am #2 Last Edit: May 09, 2010, 09:27 pm by scarfwearer
I think you are pretty darn close.
Bill Rudloff

anita

Oct 17, 2009, 05:47 pm #3 Last Edit: May 09, 2010, 09:28 pm by scarfwearer
Any updates on the various plans you are making Gene?
Feel free to send me any measurements you have so I can create Sketchup drawings with them.

It's definitely the fastest way to see if the dims look right in 3D...

lespaceplie

UPDATE: The top down view has been added but still no labels. The post caps have been modified. Note that the quarter round molding on the caps is .5" instead of .75" like it is on the edges of the posts. The lintels stick out 2.5" but might need to be even more.

sanguinewolf

thankyou so much for the update :) now to finshing texturing my 2 remaining tyj ones then on to the hudolin :)

superrichi1a

Ooooohh, been a=waiting for some good Hudolin plans for a while, in case I ever decide to build one lol (well, mcGann was my favourite Doctor :) )
One thing that always confused me though, arent the dimensions mean't to be very close to the original Hartnell box? Except the box turned out looking a bit bigger? I've always thought that they used Hartnell plans but recessed the planels slightly and extruded the sign boxes some more, but then, the rest of the box doesn't look all that Hatrnell-ie does it?
Aaahhh, well, lovely plans, very clear and look very accurate to me :) Sure about the base though? I've been told before the props base was 52" wide, this looks slightly bigger. Doesn't matter lol. Great work!
Isn't it how ironic that we have to think of solutions out of the box, in order to build our boxes a lot of the time?

DoctorWho8

They were based off the Season 18 plans, as that were the last set the BBC had at the time.  Even then, they modified it to make it more like the earlier TARDIS props and had issues with some of the timber stock being the wrong size (hence why the vertical stiles on the doors and sides are narrower than previous TARDIS props).
Bill "the Doctor" Rudloff

the dalek empire

What are the dimensions for both the small door and the door sign for the 1996 TV Movie TARDIS in inches? I plan on building the basic dimensions of this sort of TARDIS, with a twist...

lespaceplie

Nov 22, 2010, 04:28 pm #9 Last Edit: Jul 03, 2019, 03:34 am by warmcanofcoke
The outer dimension of each panel is 13.5 x 15.5. The phone panel is inset by .25 all around making it 13 x 15 framed in 1 inch timber. The sign, then, is 11 x 13. Well, probably...

Actually, the phone panel seems to have a .25 bevel trimmed from the inside). The sign plate looks to be .375 deep. This detail needs to be added to my plans.

Speaking of the panels, it is important to note that the bevels are not a simple angle. One of he following explains the weird shape:

• router shape leaves a little edge

• doors were laminated in 1/8 inch over the fronts

• bevels were glued in angled trim

See the cross section below.

bevelsection.jpg

Avadh

One of my favourite tardis police box props for sure. This box is a mixture of the Tom Yardley Jones season 18 tardis and the original Brachaki tardis which Philip Segal asked the prop makers to resemble in design and dimensions it seems. The box seems to share some of the dimensions with the Brachaki prop such as the corner posts width, the base width, the sign boxes length, and the overall height of the box. I can certainly see those similarties there and I hope this prop and the replica stunt prop for the motorcycle sequence still exist to this very day.

lespaceplie

Not to put too fine a hair on it, but the Hudolin prop's dimensions are somewhat loosely derived from a redraft of the general layout sketch produced for either the conception of the Yardley Jones prop or its refurbishment. This sketch seems to be the source of the trim on the sides of the doors where they hinge to the corner posts (a detail that also appears on the Newbery and NST). In order to give the box greater dimensionality, the doors were set deeper and the lintel boxes extended more outward than the Yardley Jones prop. Some of the door timbers are a little narrow due to the building materials supplied.

The Hudolin box has the narrowest corner posts (6") of any box prior to the NST 1. The Brachaki and Yardley Jones boxes were most likely 6.5" give or take a little fiberglass shrinkage.

hb88banzai

Nov 24, 2010, 08:30 am #12 Last Edit: Nov 24, 2010, 08:41 am by hb88banzai
The plans provided to the production company by the BBC were of the original Yardley-Jones prop, dated 25 Feb 1980, and actually drawn by Tom Yardley-Jones.

Of note on those plans is that they show quite a few erased lines where Mr. Yardley-Jones changed his mind. And this particular early set also shows the doors all opening OUTWARDS like the Cushing box. There were also no details regarding the Phone Door other than the text, so it's understandable that they got things turned around - they probably took it from a picture of the Troughton sign in one of the stories where it was arranged left-handed.

Here's a snapshot of them (zoom in to see more details like those erased lines) -

Yardley-Jones_1980_Plans.jpg

ionsith

I'm making a 3D model based on the plans on the board and I just want to check something about the windows. Working on an assumption here that the bevels around the windows (and panels) are half an inch... if so, the only way the dims work out (given the area is now 15" x 13") is for the windows to be 6.5" x 3.5", the outer frame at .25" and the two verticles and one horizontal piece to be 1" thick, which is much wider than I would have anticipated. Does this sound right?

galacticprobe

Nov 19, 2014, 05:20 am #14 Last Edit: Nov 19, 2014, 05:30 am by galacticprobe
Well, those are the Yardley-Jones plans you've posted, so it's hard to tell. But judging by the "1/2"" measure at the top indicating the height of the lamp's square base, and comparing that to the two verticals and one horizontal of the window frames, they look about the same thickness. So maybe those are also only 1/2" thick, and not 1".

Have you taken a look at this thread http://tardisbuilders.com/index.php?topic=3694.0 ? The first post has a link to a PDF drawing (I think one that lespaceplie made?) of the Hudolin prop. The lamp's base is 1-inch tall, and the window verticals and horizontal (I forget what they're actually called - someone mentioned it somewhere) look more like 3/4" wide. So while they're thicker than the TY-J plans (Mk I from the looks of it) - which the Hudolin was based on - they're probably not a full inch thick. (That does seem to be thicker than normal.)

DoctorWho8 and lespaceplie are the ones with better knowledge of measurements since both have done some FAB drawings with measurements of several of the props. So maybe they can add to what I've said (and no doubt correct me if I'm wrong).

Dino.
"What's wrong with being childish?! I like being childish." -3rd Doctor, "Terror of the Autons"