Mar 29, 2024, 05:14 am

News:

New, New TardisBuilders!

2005 NST TARDIS Lamp

Started by chainsaw, Jul 06, 2009, 03:22 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

galacticprobe

Jul 13, 2011, 04:35 pm #120 Last Edit: Jul 13, 2011, 04:38 pm by galacticprobe
I found only one Ronda Lantern seller when I Googled it and just the price is 24.99 GBP ($40.18 US) and that's without shipping, but the Amazon order form should give you a total to include shipping when you review your order in the next-to-last step of the ordering process. And if the price is too much you can always back up and remove the item from your cart. You don't have to click that final submit order button. It's another option; you've got nothing to lose by trying it, and a lamp to gain if it's not too expensive.

Dino.
"What's wrong with being childish?! I like being childish." -3rd Doctor, "Terror of the Autons"

superrichi1a

Hehe, my thoughts exactly.
I'm very tempted by this, but at the moment I don't have the spare cash, and I'm not planning on converting my build until next summer at the earliest (and when that happens it will be a MAJOR revamp, not just lamp and paint, but a new roof, new windows, reshaped doors etc, so I'm not tempted to commit to that just yet).
Isn't it how ironic that we have to think of solutions out of the box, in order to build our boxes a lot of the time?

merry

Quote from: superrichi1a on Jul 13, 2011, 10:14 am
Merry you are an abseloute star! Now all I need to do is see if I can find a supplier in the United States of Kingdom.

Glad to help out. 

Since it looks like a good match, I went back today to check it out more closely.  The one thing I didn't notice yesterday is that the cylinder isn't glass, it's clear midweight plastic.

galacticprobe

Jul 14, 2011, 05:03 am #123 Last Edit: Jul 14, 2011, 05:05 am by galacticprobe
That's a good thing. The plastic panes means there's hardly any chance of breakage. When I ordered one of these from another place late last year, it came with almost every pane shattered because they were glass, so I'm ending up replacing them with clear plastic panes anyhow.

The wife did contact the company about it, and sent them photos of the broken glass and the crushed inner box it arrived in; the outer box was perfect with plenty of padding between the two boxes which means the lamp was shipped in that damaged condition. (You can't crush a well-padded inner box while keeping the outer box pristine.) The company was so horrified that such a thing happened that they sent a second lamp and told us to just keep the broken one to do with as we pleased. This was a good thing because the wife liked the look of the lamp so much she confiscated it. So she gets the good one with all good glass, and I get the one that needs new panes to modify and paint blue.

So the plastic panes are definitely a plus in my book.

Dino.
"What's wrong with being childish?! I like being childish." -3rd Doctor, "Terror of the Autons"

lorisarvendu

Well glass panes were actually a plus in your book, because you got two lamps out of it!

galacticprobe

Jul 14, 2011, 03:13 pm #125 Last Edit: Jul 14, 2011, 03:13 pm by galacticprobe
Quote from: lorisarvendu on Jul 14, 2011, 07:36 am
Well glass panes were actually a plus in your book, because you got two lamps out of it!

Well, when you put it that way... ;)

Dino.

copernicus

Just ordered my lamp from Capital Gardens - £25 including p & p they only have 1 left and this has now been discontinued

copernicus

Lamp arrived yesterday, it's a beauty.

policephotobooth

Thanks to the group here is my finished lamp, Tennant style (now working on a Matt Smith Version.)

I'll post photos of making it in my Tardis build diary soon.

Philipfinished lamp.JPG
Great scott it's a TARDIS

galacticprobe

Aug 23, 2012, 01:21 pm #129 Last Edit: Aug 23, 2012, 01:21 pm by galacticprobe
Fantastic job, Philip! Looking forward to seeing your build diary on this one.

Dino.

DoctorWho8

Sweetness and "Excellent"!
Bill "the Doctor" Rudloff

jiggy_josh

Nice job Phillip, and thanks merry.  I'm starting my build tomorrow, and I have been stressing about the light.

policephotobooth

Just made my Matt Smith Version matt light.jpg

Philip
Great scott it's a TARDIS

evil bob

galacticprobe

Sep 04, 2012, 10:41 pm #134 Last Edit: Sep 04, 2012, 10:42 pm by galacticprobe
Very nice! What did you use for the "rods" that connect the top section to the bottom? They almost look like door/drawer pulls.

Dino.