Apr 19, 2024, 01:52 pm

News:

New, New TardisBuilders!

Yale lock

Started by chainsaw, Jul 02, 2009, 08:47 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

ironageman

Aug 09, 2006, 04:22 pm #75 Last Edit: Jun 07, 2010, 02:07 pm by scarfwearer
In the pilot episode it looks to me as if the Doctor turns the lock and it pops out an inch or two: then he continues to turn it this way and that, like a combination lock.

>>[police boxes] seem to have also used ETAS locks (Crich) as well as Yale.
The Barnet one had an ETAS lock, and I seem to remember seeing an ETAS lock on one of the police telephones at Avoncroft.
leonard cohen  1934-2016  standing by the window where the light is strong

BioDoctor900

Just so you all know the David Tennant TARDIS lock is an ERA. If you freeze the inamg on the Lazuraus Experiment (Series 3) you will see he puts a ERA key into the lock.

BioDoctor900

philipw

Eccleston and Smith as well.

linkjrep

So, just got home from Home Depot with this lock
image.jpg

Did I just make a horrid mistake????
Also, if I needed to paint the lock to look silver, how does one go about that?

kiwidoc

Looks fine to me.   If the colour of the lock hardware on the inside of your door bothers you it should be fine to (carefully) paint it, but I'd proably be inclined to distress it with black and make it look grimy and old rather than going silver.   Depends on what interior look you're going for (if any), ultimately.   Personally, the inside of the box is all about function for me so making it work, no matter how rough and then slapping black over everything is my default mode inside the shell

:)  Glen

linkjrep

I meant the outside of the lock but I looked at the tardis and I realized that it DOES have a gold lock so now I guess it doesn't matter :p
and that's a very good default *claps* when I mess up, the default is "make it look intentional."
Thank youuuu :)

kiwidoc

You didn't post a picture of the outside so I assumed you mean the latch part.   Yes the classic series was generally painted over (eg Blue) and Eccleston/Tennant locks were brass/gold painted blue then mostly rubbed/scratched off again and Matt Smith went silver.

linkjrep

Smith went silver?!! oh great!
Do you think acrylic will last? (why do I feel like it's gonna scratch off)

DoctorWho8

Get some automotive silver paint in the small bottles.
Bill "the Doctor" Rudloff

lastofthetimelords

Okay, this may be a stupid question but I am building a 2010 styled TARDIS and I'm wondering if the Yale Lock is the right style for it. I think so but i want to be sure before i buy one.

galacticprobe

Sep 09, 2013, 01:45 am #85 Last Edit: Sep 09, 2013, 01:48 am by galacticprobe
As my late Uncle George always said, "The only 'stupid' question is the one that isn't asked because it doesn't get answered." Between the Yale locks, the ERA locks, the brass-finished ones, the silver/chrome-finished ones, and the brass locks with the silver/chrome bezels - some with and some without markings - this is one aspect of the TARDIS that even I have trouble keeping track of!

The lock and key are "Yale"-style, and have been for most of the TARDIS' renditions (the late Pertwee, early Tom Baker, McCoy's last season lock, and TVM versions excepted). The 2010 TARDIS (I think) changed locks, or bezels, or both, at some point, and some images show the lock-face with an ERA logo, others don't (though I think the ERA lock is confined to the 2005 and later TARDISes).

Have you looked in the http://tardisbuilders.com/index.php?board=87.0 sub-board under the http://tardisbuilders.com/index.php?board=29.0 board? And there are also loads of photo references of the TARDIS prop herself in the http://tardisbuilders.com/index.php?board=50.0 sub-board under the http://tardisbuilders.com/index.php?board=24.0 board.

I hope these are of some help. Others have made in-depth studies of the locks used and I'm sure they'll chime in (especially to correct me if I've made any mistakes in my post).

Dino.
"What's wrong with being childish?! I like being childish." -3rd Doctor, "Terror of the Autons"

linkjrep

I think it's a "night lock" style of lock, the one with the turny knob for the back.....but I'm not sure.

lastofthetimelords

galacticprobe

Sep 10, 2013, 04:52 am #88 Last Edit: Sep 10, 2013, 04:53 am by galacticprobe
Quote from: linkjrep on Sep 09, 2013, 07:28 am
I think it's a "night lock" style of lock, the one with the turny knob for the back.....but I'm not sure.

Very close, linkjrep! Reading back through some of the discussions I've seen it referred to as a Night "Latch" lock. (But I think that if you went into a hardware store and asked for a Yale/ERA "Night Lock", it's close enough that one of the sales reps for the locks section would know what you were talking about.)

Dino.
"What's wrong with being childish?! I like being childish." -3rd Doctor, "Terror of the Autons"

The14thDr

Does anyone know how thick/deep the lock should be? I'm working on a 3D print model for my TARDIS console room's doors, but the one thing bothering me is how thick to make the lock. ???

Also, am I right in thinking that the 2010 TARDIS used a 40mm lock?

Kind regards, The14thDr :D
"Would you like a jelly baby?"