Apr 19, 2024, 05:09 am

News:

New, New TardisBuilders!

Season 14 nightstand

Started by warmcanofcoke, Mar 15, 2015, 10:37 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

warmcanofcoke

Mar 15, 2015, 10:37 pm Last Edit: Mar 20, 2015, 06:35 pm by warmcanofcoke
There should be an equation for Tardis Builders, involving the factors of : Room, Time, Money and Desire. Some combination of those will equal a Tardis. I have collections of switches, knobs and assorted wood and plastic bits all throughout my basement and attic. I clearly want a Tardis.
I wish there were an itemized list of everything I need .... but it all comes down to me. I will figure it out someday.

I think I need a table for my room to place next to my bed. So why not turn it into a Tardis Console?
vlcsnap-2011-07-17-13h43m03s112.JPG
AuxCon034.jpg

Here is what I have.

rectangle buttons,
001_zpsxnkpw5fa.jpg

indicator lights that look like buttons, (also, a hole saw to install the buttons and lights.)
002_zpsqfrvfwqa.jpg

knob covers,
003_zps4a6ucgmi.jpg

rubber feet that resemble knobs.
004A_zpsrzgxxrzx.jpg

Lion Charms that resemble escutcheons / decorations,
004_zpsgzrlxcne.jpg

A (broken) ram's head belt buckle that looks very similar to the ram's head decorations on the console,
005_zpsjmk4gost.jpg
006_zpsh2x8xyix.jpg

and wood spheres that would make excellent pedestal feet.
007_zps9reml4yw.jpg

I have a friend who is going to help me cast several ram's heads for the console, we just need to get together when the weather permits.
I have a tutorial on how to make rubber casts http://tardisbuilders.com/index.php?topic=1141.0
why doesn't the Guide mention them? - Oh, it's not very accurate.
Oh? - I'm researching the new edition.

the_prop_maniac

Quote from: warmcanofcoke on Mar 15, 2015, 10:37 pm
There should be an equation for Tardis Builders, involving the factors of : Room, Time, Money and Desire. Some combination of those will equal a Tardis. I have collections of switches, knobs and assorted wood and plastic bits all throughout my basement and attic. I clearly want a Tardis.
I wish there were an itemized list of everything I need .... but it all comes down to me. I will figure it out someday.

Yes, indeed. Those four factors are VERY important, I think, to any Tardis maker. I say, if you have the stuff and you have everything that's required, the only thing that would be holding you back, is you yourself. (When I say that, I mean anyone is holding themselves back, not just he.) I personally think that a nightstand based off the secondary console room would be very interesting. Who knows, maybe you can even put a mini Newbery on it ;)

- Tom
"When I was a young man, I had liberty, but I did not see it. I had time, but I did not know it. And I had love, but I did not feel it. Many decades would pass before I understood the meaning of all three."

Rassilons Rod

Oh Mama......  *drool*
In the cities in the streets there's a tension you can feel,
The breaking strain is fast approaching, guns and riots.
Politicians gamble and lie to save their skins,
And the press get fed the scapegoats,
Public Enema Number One.

kiwidoc

Good lord, what a great start, can't wait to see more!   And how did you afford all those switches - is there a good deal somewhere that you can share?   I've just bought a batch for my (eventual) K9 and even the cost of the plastic lens covers annoyed me let alone the full switches!

galacticprobe

Mar 16, 2015, 04:31 am #4 Last Edit: Mar 16, 2015, 05:00 am by galacticprobe
What rassilonsrod said (and what kiwidoc asked)! :o With all of those goodies you've got there, plus lespaceplie's new dims for this console combined with that Build Diary (more like a tutorial) that scarfwearer left with us, you should have no problem fitting it into the bedroom and having one great-looking set of panels under those panel covers. Wow! And since your friend is going to help you cast some replicas of the ram's head for the corners of the console's belt-line, maybe he can also help you with the added detail on the feet. They are supposed to be ball-and-claw feet, so if you can sculpt a decent-looking claw to grasp a ball using some clay or such, maybe he can make a mould for the claw and then cast claws to go on the feet. Once they're painted they should look like the ones on the actual prop. Worth a think, anyway.

As for that equation you mentioned (since it does involve TARDISes and consoles), try entering into your computer... seven four three eight oh oh oh W eight I one two one two seven two seven two nine double-one E eight E X four one one one three zero nine eleven five: press Enter (and then see what happens ;) ;D).

Dino.
"What's wrong with being childish?! I like being childish." -3rd Doctor, "Terror of the Autons"

tony farrell

Quote from: warmcanofcoke on Mar 15, 2015, 10:37 pm
There should be an equation for Tardis Builders, involving the factors of : Room, Time, Money and Desire. Some combination of those will equal a Tardis.

I think I need a table for my room to place next to my bed. So why not turn it into a Tardis Console?

I've always had a real soft spot for the little Edwardian Console and the room as well; there's something very appealing about a nice piece of wood.

I'm going to watch this build  'like a hawk' (in the nicest possible way)!

T

warmcanofcoke

Mar 16, 2015, 01:20 pm #6 Last Edit: Mar 16, 2015, 02:29 pm by warmcanofcoke
Quote from: kiwidoc on Mar 16, 2015, 12:01 am
is there a good deal somewhere that you can share?

I collect tardis bits. My attic has several shoe boxes, with parts for just about every classic tardis.  (They are not complete collections  ;) ....yet.) I also have some of that black pipping used in the base of the Eccleston/Tennant Console (went dumpster diving for this thing.). These were collected over a long period of time. I've just reached a certain critical mass of tardis switches for this console recently. As for cost - they weren't that expensive - I just went to ebay and typed in "Rectangle Push Button", then maybe a "colour" into the search criteria, and if you're willing to search for a bit you'll start finding the switches from China where you can get them in lots of 5, 10, 15, 20 etc for reasonable prices.... Personally I had to wait several months for orange to manifest at a reasonable price. Set yourself a budget every week. My strategy is to not buy treats and put that money towards tardis parts. You start to make the justification pretty easily . This item is worth 'so many' candy bars, or 'x amount' of sodas from the vending machine. I sell a lot of my Doctor who items from my adolescence on ebay - it's sort of like a trade.

warmcanofcoke

Mar 16, 2015, 01:42 pm #7 Last Edit: Mar 16, 2015, 02:16 pm by warmcanofcoke
25× Rectangle Red Momentary Push Button Switch + DC24V Llight NO-COM-NC 16mm $31.50 - Buy It Now - Free shipping - about the cost of a fancy meal somewhere. Or 2 less fancy meals some where.... or three submarine sandwiches ..... or a DVD, or a game on Steam....

http://www.ebay.com/itm/25-Rectangle-Red-Momentary-Push-Button-Switch-DC24V-Llight-NO-COM-NC-16mm-/191124331991?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2c7fe5ddd7

you can probably find them at an even lower price if you want to take the time.

about $1.26 per switch.

or

5 Pcs Rectangular Orange Cap Indicator Light Accident Signal Lamp DC 24V - $5.56 - Buy It Now - Free shipping -
http://www.ebay.com/itm/5-Pcs-Rectangular-Orange-Cap-Indicator-Light-Accident-Signal-Lamp-DC-24V-/321063847774?tfrom=311016342633&tpos=top&ttype=price&talgo=undefined

$ 1.11 each

The14thDr

Wow!!! ;D
Although it's not my favourite console, and although I haven't seen a single episode of Season 14 (or much of any other Classic season for that matter), I really admire this console as a thing of true beauty. I'll definitely be looking forward to watching this build progress and evolve.

Kind regards, The14thDr :D
"Would you like a jelly baby?"

lespaceplie

Give me a day or two, and I'll have a pdf of the plans with a little more detail. I'll give it priority because I'd love to see this build.

warmcanofcoke

Mar 17, 2015, 09:05 pm #10 Last Edit: Mar 17, 2015, 11:15 pm by warmcanofcoke
Quote from: lespaceplie on Mar 16, 2015, 05:39 pm
Give me a day or two, and I'll have a pdf of the plans with a little more detail. I'll give it priority because I'd love to see this build.

I will thank you  :D ;)

looking at the other bits and pieces I need for the console I decided I'd visit the local Home Despot.

I intend to have three door panels on the base that will open so I purchased some knobs that I think will do the trick.
d4-4m-159%20copy_zpszjtppve2.jpg
IMG_7766A_zps97thapbr.jpg
IMG_7767A_zpson489pmp.jpg

I also picked up some bolts so I can affix the Ram's heads to the console when I have them made up.

Rams%20head%20005_zps1o9hhfxb.jpg[/URL]

Just visited my good friend eBay and purchased some bail drawer pulls and some centre rail supports.  -YES!
_57_zpsomtz1nkw.jpg
_12_zpsyik8ttqy.jpg

tony farrell

Looking good and ..... you've used "centre" as opposed to "center"!  :) In all seriousness however, I'll be interested in your choice of veneers/wood finishes.
T

warmcanofcoke

Mar 18, 2015, 01:15 am #12 Last Edit: Mar 18, 2015, 01:28 am by warmcanofcoke
This build has my mind contemplating all sorts of things. I'm figuring out the complexities of putting in the two drawers, the opening doors, the inlay on the panel covers ....... yeah, I may have to buy a few test varnishes before I find the one I want....... I'm going to look at a few episodes and figure out if the claw feet on the base look like Yeti feet or not.  :P

meantimebob

Quote from: Tony Farrell on Mar 18, 2015, 12:30 am
Looking good and ..... you've used "centre" as opposed to "center"!  :) In all seriousness however, I'll be interested in your choice of veneers/wood finishes.
T

I'm pretty certain the actual prop was merely painted, like the walls of the set, with a paint effect to look like wood. The "inlay" of the panels looks like strips of painted paper. There are tutorials on how to create such paint effects on youtube and the results are stunning.

galacticprobe

Mar 18, 2015, 05:45 am #14 Last Edit: Mar 18, 2015, 05:47 am by galacticprobe
Okay... after getting to this update after reading the topic on the metal fixtures, please ignore what I posted here: http://tardisbuilders.com/index.php?topic=5965.msg72624#msg72624. (That is, unless others might find it useful.)

Dino. (That's me... late again, as usual. :P ;))
"What's wrong with being childish?! I like being childish." -3rd Doctor, "Terror of the Autons"