Apr 19, 2024, 08:48 pm

News:

New, New TardisBuilders!

Hand of Omega's Sketch Up TARDIS

Started by handofomega, Feb 20, 2008, 10:36 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

lungman

Jul 26, 2008, 10:23 pm #105 Last Edit: Sep 20, 2011, 08:22 pm by scarfwearer
 :o :o :oI would have to say, without a shadow of a doubt, that this is the BEST custom console I've ever seen!  You have married together a perfect balance of all consoles into one, and that is just OUTSTANDING!!  PLEASE make sure you back it up!!   ;)  Very well done!  ;D ;D ;D

handofomega

Jul 27, 2008, 05:19 pm #106 Last Edit: Sep 20, 2011, 08:22 pm by scarfwearer
Quote from: lungman board=discussion thread=659 post=15281 time=1217111029:o :o :oI would have to say, without a shadow of a doubt, that this is the BEST custom console I've ever seen!  You have married together a perfect balance of all consoles into one, and that is just OUTSTANDING!!  PLEASE make sure you back it up!!   ;)  Very well done!  ;D ;D ;D

One of my main goals in laying out the controls was to have enough on the panals to at least give the impression that this controls something as complex as a time/space machine.   One of the faults of the old series consoles I felt had been that there weren't enough controls on them, at least until the 5 Doctors Console come on the scene.

The new series console while it has the weight and a goodly amount of controls, feels too chaotic to me.   I would really love to see what the console looks like BEFORE the Doctor upgraded it with bits of junk from all over the universe.

Thank you for all the kind words of praise for my design.  It have been a labor of love.   Is there any things I would change...  Sure, but Sketch-up is quite limited in what it can actually accomplish.

Oh and no worries I do have it backed up.   ;D

handofomega

Aug 01, 2008, 04:48 am #107 Last Edit: Sep 20, 2011, 08:45 pm by Scarfwearer
:o :o :oCRITICAL TIMING MALFUNCTION!!!!

Well I have been having some trouble in Sketch-Up.  For some reason I cannot import my Console into my console room.  I had so much detail on it that the file was massive I guess.   SO since I couldn't bring the Console to the room and I couldn't bring the room to the console (console room file is pretty big too), I have taken a new course of action.   I am RE-DOING the dang console in the bloddy room!!!!   But the very best part is I have the old Console for reference so it shouldn't take as long to re-do, AND I have finally learned a few new tricks!!!!   So making a sphere is NO LONGER a problem!!!! ;D

Here is a view of what I have done so far.  All I have to do now is add the hand rails and I can begin laying out the controls.  The controls will probably end up a slight bit different now that I can do spheres, but hopefully the changes will be slight.

NewConsole1.jpg

DoctorWho8

Aug 01, 2008, 12:46 pm #108 Last Edit: Sep 20, 2011, 08:23 pm by scarfwearer
Is it possible you could import your console in pieces instead of a whole object?
Bill Rudloff

handofomega

Aug 01, 2008, 04:02 pm #109 Last Edit: Sep 20, 2011, 08:23 pm by scarfwearer
Quote from: doctorwho8 board=discussion thread=659 post=15416 time=1217594767Is it possible you could import your console in pieces instead of a whole object?
Bill Rudloff

Well.....   I suppose it might be.  I'm not real sure.   The console top and controls are all one part so I might could have imported them.   I'll see.  I would hate to have to do it all again.  But it might be a blessing in disguise to start from scratch.

dematerialiser

Aug 01, 2008, 06:14 pm #110 Last Edit: Sep 20, 2011, 08:24 pm by scarfwearer
Hi omega

I've had this problem with Sketchup and solved it by switching to line-only view (no colours, no textures etc) and then hitting the paste command. It allowed me to position the newly inserted model. The only other thing I did before doing that was cleaning up my existing model by getting rid of guidelines, temporary objects, objects which existed inside other objects (and therefore invisible anyway - usually shapes I'd made as starting points for the final object(s)) and making sure that any hidden layers containing old stuff were all deleted. I hope that works for you..!

cheers
Chris

handofomega

Aug 01, 2008, 09:56 pm #111 Last Edit: Sep 20, 2011, 08:24 pm by scarfwearer
Quote from: dematerialiser board=discussion thread=659 post=15423 time=1217614478Hi omega

I've had this problem with Sketchup and solved it by switching to line-only view (no colours, no textures etc) and then hitting the paste command. It allowed me to position the newly inserted model. The only other thing I did before doing that was cleaning up my existing model by getting rid of guidelines, temporary objects, objects which existed inside other objects (and therefore invisible anyway - usually shapes I'd made as starting points for the final object(s)) and making sure that any hidden layers containing old stuff were all deleted. I hope that works for you..!

cheers
Chris

Thank you for the advice Chris, it is VERY appreciated.   I just can't decide...  Do I find a way to bring in the existing console top, or do I start from scratch and recreate things????  Decisions....

handofomega

Aug 09, 2008, 03:01 pm #112 Last Edit: Sep 20, 2011, 08:24 pm by scarfwearer
Updates.

I have decided that I want to re-do it from scratch.  There were things in the original design that I have since found I don't care for.  The console base being one of them.   SO, since I have been able to replicate much of the designs quickly now that I have already done them, things should move along a LOT quicker.  Plus my mastery of Sketch-up is making things LOADS easier.

Here is the new console base:

Consolebase.jpg

I am quite please with the way it is truning out.  The new base seems to be more at home in the room itself.

Here is an over head shot of the console.  Got the panal layout started.  They will be in a slightly different order around the table but other wise almost exactly the same as before.

NewConsole2.jpg

And this final shot is to show off the spheres that I have knocked up for the panal lights and levers.

NewConsole3.jpg

Enjoy.

the_temporal_mechanic

Aug 12, 2008, 02:07 am #113 Last Edit: Sep 20, 2011, 08:25 pm by scarfwearer
Love the new base. Those struts under the console are great.  I also like the finned detail on the bottom.  It creates a lot of interest along that surface I think.  I see you're showing off your mastery of the sphere in sketchup.  You skilled devil.  Send that link to the  tutorial to me if you don't mind.  Great work man!

handofomega

Aug 12, 2008, 03:38 am #114 Last Edit: Sep 20, 2011, 08:25 pm by scarfwearer
Quote from: jarenelo board=discussion thread=659 post=15678 time=1218506875Love the new base. Those struts under the console are great.  I also like the finned detail on the bottom.  It creates a lot of interest along that surface I think.  I see you're showing off your mastery of the sphere in sketchup.  You skilled devil.  Send that link to the  tutorial to me if you don't mind.  Great work man!

Glad you like it sir.  And thank you for the compliments.  I will send it to you as soon as I get my wife to locate it again.  She was the one who found it for me in the first place, LOL!!!   

handofomega

Aug 12, 2008, 03:42 am #115 Last Edit: Sep 20, 2011, 08:25 pm by scarfwearer
Well my original attempt at the console taught me a lot and with the newly aquired ability to render spheres I wanted to re-do a few things, not the least of which was the central column.   In my humble opinion I think that the one on the original console looks a little clunky compared to this new model:

newcolumn.jpg

As you can tell I was able to fix a LOT of the problems I had before and get the column to come out like I could see it in my head.  Here is a closer shot for some detail.  Enjoy!!!!

newcolumn1.jpg

Top looking down.  Karsten I borrowed you seal of Rassilon idea, I hope you don't mind.

newcolumn2.jpg

handofomega

Aug 21, 2008, 10:55 pm #116 Last Edit: Sep 20, 2011, 08:26 pm by scarfwearer
Well I am putting the console together and it is going pretty smoothly.   I made the recharging port of the Sonic Screwdriver and it got me thinkin....    I needs to have some sort of Sonic in my TARDIS, at least for decoration.   ;D   So that is where this came from:

SScloseup.jpg

Not sure if I posted this in this thread or not, but my idea for the Fault Locator was based on the old ticker tape machines:

faultlocator1.jpg

Well here is my sketch up version in the console room:

faultlocator.jpg

Enjoy!!!! ;D

Now back to work!!!

handofomega

Aug 22, 2008, 02:39 am #117 Last Edit: Sep 20, 2011, 08:26 pm by scarfwearer
2 more and then I am off to bed.

From the Doors looking in:

Consoleroomlights.jpg

and with shadows:

Consoleroomshadows1.jpg