Apr 24, 2024, 02:31 am

News:

New, New TardisBuilders!

Beryllium Chip

Started by The14thDr, Dec 04, 2014, 08:05 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

The14thDr

Dec 04, 2014, 08:05 pm Last Edit: Nov 14, 2016, 01:52 am by warmcanofcoke
Does anybody have any decent high-res or close-up images of the beryllium chip from the 1996 TV Movie? I've done a bit of searching but all I can find are a few grainy screenshots.

Kind regards, The14thDr :D

NDVD_095.jpg
"Would you like a jelly baby?"

galacticprobe

Dec 04, 2014, 08:35 pm #1 Last Edit: Dec 04, 2014, 08:35 pm by galacticprobe
Well, unless someone can get a good screen grab from the DVD, your best bet would be to see how the 8th Doctor's screen-used Restoration Team built a replica of the beryllium clock chip for the restored console here: http://tardisbuilders.com/index.php?topic=3413.4. Of course, there are bits of that clock chip's build through out that restoration (http://tardisbuilders.com/index.php?topic=3413.msg37434#msg37434), so I would start with the link above first (where I think most of the replication starts), but peruse the entire restoration to see what other places in it have a reference to that clock chip.

Their replica did come out First Class!

Dino.
"What's wrong with being childish?! I like being childish." -3rd Doctor, "Terror of the Autons"

davidnagel

1. Buy the DVD
2. Screengrab the DVD

:p

Or find someone with, or buy yourself a copy of "Regeneration" the book of the TV Movie, that features a few pieces of concept artwork - but strangely not a picture of the finished thing.

Looks like the DVD or Dino's links above are the best bets :)
Regards
David

galacticprobe

Dec 05, 2014, 05:06 am #3 Last Edit: Dec 05, 2014, 05:07 am by galacticprobe
Yeah, I thought about mentioning the Regeneration book, but I couldn't find a decent image of the beryllium clock chip to scan so I just missed it out. (Then again, I was just leafing through it looking for a decent image. Maybe I'll sit down and have a proper refresher look through it, and scan and post an image of the chip, if no one beats me to it... though I won't complain if someone does! ;) :D)

Dino.
"What's wrong with being childish?! I like being childish." -3rd Doctor, "Terror of the Autons"

Davros Skaro

Oct 19, 2016, 04:20 am #4 Last Edit: Oct 19, 2016, 06:00 am by davros skaro
there's 18 shots, so pick & choose what you want:

NDVD_087.jpg

NDVD_088.jpg

NDVD_089.jpg

NDVD_090.jpg

NDVD_091.jpg

NDVD_092.jpg

NDVD_093.jpg

NDVD_094.jpg

NDVD_095.jpg

NDVD_096.jpg

NDVD_097.jpg

NDVD_098.jpg

NDVD_099.jpg

NDVD_100.jpg

NDVD_101.jpg

NDVD_102.jpg

NDVD_103.jpg

NDVD_104.jpg
Chris.

galacticprobe

Oct 19, 2016, 04:43 am #5 Last Edit: Oct 19, 2016, 04:46 am by galacticprobe
Erm... you may want to go back and double-check your post davros skaro. None of your images came through. There are just 18 little blue boxes with white "?" inside them. (Make sure you use the "Save Draft and Continue >>" button after selecting each image. That way you can avoid bogging down the Forum software when posting multiple images, which is what may have happened here.)

Oh, and you can delete your "Oops" post in the other thread; since you've deleted the images and reposted them here - or are trying to - I've deleted my post about moving the images.

Dino.

Davros Skaro

hope fully these worked, I could see the first lot, but that means little, being new at this, I need to familiarize myself with it all, thanks for your patients.  :)
Chris.

galacticprobe

Oct 20, 2016, 05:44 am #7 Last Edit: Oct 20, 2016, 05:45 am by galacticprobe
You got it, davros skaro! Those images are amazing! Thank you so much for taking the time to grab them and share them with us. And yes, it can take some getting used to when posting images and learning how the Forum works (or some of its quirks). That's why we're all here - to help each other out: new members with new ideas; veteran members with little tricks that can help new members with difficulties. (Once again quoting from Red Green: "Remember, I'm pulling for you. We're all in this together." ;D)

Dino.

Davros Skaro

here is a really good close up of it,

NDVD_097.1.jpg
Chris.

galacticprobe

Oct 30, 2016, 06:29 pm #9 Last Edit: Oct 30, 2016, 06:29 pm by galacticprobe
That case looks to be a lot smaller than any case for an old answering machine cassette tape I've ever seen. (I'll have to look back through that Article on the 1996 TVM console's restoration and see what they used to make theirs. I want to say it was a Tic-Tac container, but I can't be sure. The size of it would be about right, though.)

Great close-up grab, davros skaro! Thanks for posting it.

Dino.

Davros Skaro

Oct 31, 2016, 08:49 am #10 Last Edit: Oct 31, 2016, 08:55 am by davros skaro
here's a few more shots that are at different angles enlarged.

NDVD_098.1.jpg

NDVD_099.1.jpg

I'm also trying to find out what the bits inside are, they look like they're made of brass, & not circuit boards at all, but I could be wrong.
Chris.

Davros Skaro

Oct 31, 2016, 09:02 am #11 Last Edit: Oct 31, 2016, 09:03 am by davros skaro
NDVD_104.1.jpg

NDVD_104.2.jpg

NDVD_104.3.jpg
Chris.

warmcanofcoke

Oct 31, 2016, 12:14 pm #12 Last Edit: Oct 31, 2016, 12:27 pm by warmcanofcoke
The connectors on the back of the chip probably match the plug hole on the Atomic Clock circuit board.
NDVD_095.jpg

(Don't know if this was mentioned before... is early ... still booting up.)

Quote from: davros skaro on Oct 31, 2016, 08:49 am
here's a few more shots that are at different angles enlarged.

NDVD_098.1.jpg

These clips probably power the flashy lights on the prop.
why doesn't the Guide mention them? - Oh, it's not very accurate.
Oh? - I'm researching the new edition.

warmcanofcoke

why doesn't the Guide mention them? - Oh, it's not very accurate.
Oh? - I'm researching the new edition.

galacticprobe

Jun 04, 2017, 06:35 am #14 Last Edit: Jun 04, 2017, 06:35 am by galacticprobe
Nice find, Nate! And it's adjustable so you can tweak on it until you get it as close to having one LED flash per second as possible (so the "right" LED will flash once per second, and the "left" LED will flash once per second - making it a "Flash - and - Flash - and - Flash..." pattern, like the real prop). Cool!

Dino.
P. S. Now, if only we could find something to make the 2008 Mustang KITT 'Knight Rider' scanner bar that didn't cost almost $300 US, I'd be happy. I don't need anything as elaborate as the 2008 KITT had with 480 LEDs - 240 per side - but something smaller with the same pattern would be nice. My van would love it.