Apr 27, 2024, 05:22 am

News:

New, New TardisBuilders!

Doctorhr2's circa 1970 build (3D)

Started by ionsith, Apr 19, 2009, 03:24 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

ionsith

Apr 19, 2009, 03:24 pm Last Edit: Oct 01, 2012, 08:46 pm by Scarfwearer
This thread is for comments/feedback on my Console and Console Room build.. I'll post pics later but if anyone has any handy reference pics I can use I'd really appreciate it.

Also, if anyone has any tips on the best way to 3D model the roundeled walls, I'm still thinking that one through!

ionsith

Jul 19, 2009, 10:22 am #1 Last Edit: Jan 16, 2010, 07:07 pm by scarfwearer
Cheers Marc.. I'll have a looksy. But I think I'm about 98% done of the modeling/texturing now. Just have to put in the lights.. and then the Console Room!

celation

Apr 19, 2009, 06:14 pm #2 Last Edit: Oct 01, 2012, 08:08 pm by scarfwearer
Great build, doctorhr2! (looking at the picture in the other thread)

Here's a grab from the radiation panel, which shows the structure of these circular displays. (grabbed from another thread)

Image13.jpg

This one is slightly unusual, compared to the others, in that it is a more even shape. The others are more pointed in the centre. But that's just getting picky... :) They're built from old truck lights, so are transparent orange or red, usually sprayed with a pattern in silver over the top.

The other small bit of advice I'd offer is that the large grey lever boxes are somewhat shallower in their sweep, if you see what I mean. That is - it's a shallower segment of a circle.

Looking great, though. Don't think I've ever seen a Pertwee version done in 3D before!

C.

ionsith

Apr 19, 2009, 08:05 pm #3 Last Edit: Oct 01, 2012, 08:08 pm by scarfwearer
Thanks for that. Do you know if the radiation panel was still a feature by the time the War Games or Inferno aired?

ionsith

Apr 19, 2009, 08:13 pm #4 Last Edit: Oct 01, 2012, 08:08 pm by scarfwearer
http://i622.photobucket.com/albums/tt306/doctorhr2/wip2.png

And here's the next piccy. I have remodeled the orange sensor on the left hand panel to tidy it up and make it a little shallower. Still unsure if I should be properly texturing and bump mapping the controls though.

celation

Apr 19, 2009, 08:24 pm #5 Last Edit: Oct 01, 2012, 08:09 pm by scarfwearer
[blockquote]Do you know if the radiation panel was still a feature by the time the War Games or Inferno aired?[/blockquote]

War Games - yes; Inferno - no.

The radiation panel is looking pretty battered by The War Games - the radiation detector itself is loose in its housing, and one of the meters has a smashed front.

The story goes that Pertwee wanted something to tinker with on the console, so one of the prop men came up with a big hammer and made a massive hole in the console which subsequently had to be covered by a large metal plate.

Whatever the truth behind it, the radiation panel had been substantially altered by... Ambassadors (?) ...certainly by Inferno - to feature a large aluminium or steel plate covering most of the console with the exception of the round display seen in the corner of the panel above.

This panel must have been one of the weaker ones on the console; and the right-most meter was, I think, never fully replaced after it was removed for a season 6 story (Mind Robber?) - so it was in a bit of a mess by the time it got to Pertwee taking over. By Claws, all the panels had been refurbished, but the radiation panel continued in its new look.

Edit: that's it on the left of this image from Inferno. (nicked from markofrani's photobucket page...)

p13.jpg

Looking better - I think you could go even shallower on it. The top of the display barely rises above its surround. Once I get my rings through, I'll be able to show you!

ionsith

Apr 19, 2009, 08:48 pm #6 Last Edit: Oct 01, 2012, 08:09 pm by scarfwearer
Brilliant.. Thanks! I'm going for a War Games build, but until the DVD comes out I'm a little stuck for references. I may have to start over.. getting some odd texturing issues, probably because I'm doing it in a peculiar way (modeling, texturing then attaching). When you were doing yours, how did you tackle it? Did you model the console and then concentrate on the texturing?

celation

Apr 19, 2009, 10:01 pm #7 Last Edit: Oct 01, 2012, 08:09 pm by scarfwearer
Model then texture, yes. That's my usual way to work.

Don't quite know what you mean by "attaching". All my components are seperate bits. Just parented in under group nodes.

ionsith

Apr 19, 2009, 10:24 pm #8 Last Edit: Oct 01, 2012, 08:10 pm by scarfwearer
Aaah, I wonder if this is a difference between 3D Studio Max and other packages. In Max you can attach models together as one piece. I can parent them too, but I thought that was only useful for parts that were meant to stay in place when the model was moved, but could be moved themselves (like switches and levers).

ionsith

Apr 19, 2009, 10:29 pm #9 Last Edit: Oct 01, 2012, 08:10 pm by scarfwearer
Here's the latest update. I've started remodeling the controls so I can pay much more attention this time and not rush it!

Wipnew.png

celation

Apr 19, 2009, 10:32 pm #10 Last Edit: Oct 01, 2012, 08:10 pm by scarfwearer
Well, in Maya you can "combine" polys, if that's what you mean. There's not much point though, if you don't need to. I usually only combine when absolutely necessary - prior to merging vertices, etc.. Usually I just parent and group.

ionsith

Apr 19, 2009, 11:20 pm #11 Last Edit: Oct 01, 2012, 08:10 pm by scarfwearer
I see. But when you parent and group, doesn't that mean that if you try to move the main body of the Console, all the rest gets left behind?

ionsith

Apr 19, 2009, 11:56 pm #12 Last Edit: Oct 01, 2012, 08:11 pm by scarfwearer
That might sound like a daft question.. Most of my modeling has been picked up from tutorials and guesswork, so I might be doing things that aren't strictly necessary because my brain tells me to :D

Rassilons Rod

Apr 20, 2009, 08:03 am #13 Last Edit: Oct 01, 2012, 08:11 pm by scarfwearer
You'll want to narrow those black switches and round the edges a bit.

Check out Celations thread for those, he's done a great job of moulding real ones :)

Damn it I can't get into my photobucket right now for some reason... I'll try to upload some pics later.
In the cities in the streets there's a tension you can feel,
The breaking strain is fast approaching, guns and riots.
Politicians gamble and lie to save their skins,
And the press get fed the scapegoats,
Public Enema Number One.

ionsith

Apr 20, 2009, 02:53 pm #14 Last Edit: Oct 01, 2012, 08:11 pm by scarfwearer
Oooh.. I actually used Celation's moulds as a reference, but I will double check them.