Apr 20, 2024, 10:08 am

News:

New, New TardisBuilders!

TARDIS Wardrobe

Started by steveski74, Oct 16, 2014, 07:14 am

Previous topic - Next topic

steveski74

Oct 16, 2014, 07:14 am Last Edit: Jun 15, 2017, 12:04 am by steveski74
A friend offered to design and build a TARDIS wardrobe for my daughter.  The design, tailored to be cut on a large CNC router and easily assembled took around 8 months of casual tinkering.  All up the cutting and build took 22 hours.  Painting is still on the todo list as well as finding some windows, door handles and print up some signs, maybe even cut a door for the phone.
The design was scaled back to fit within the low ceiling of my flat.  The height is 2.4m to the top of the light and the width is 1.2m.

We started with a Melamine Chipboard carcass.  This is just a plain box with no detailing, just shelf support holes.  Around this base we clad it with Melamine MDF which has pockets routed to provide all the door detailing.

This isn't a completely faithful reproduction.  As I'm planning to put in a mini console, it seemed more practical to have the doors opening outwards.  Shelves occupy the rear third of the depth where my daughter will put her various Doctor Who bits and pieces and perhaps use it for some clothes.  I suspect it's mostly going to be a DW shrine / cubby house :)

TARDIS-Complete-Iso.jpgTARDIS-Complete-Steve.jpgTardisDone.jpgTARDIS-4.jpgTARDIS-2.jpgTARDIS-Roof-Skeleton.jpgTARDIS-Roof-Finished.jpg

galacticprobe

Oct 16, 2014, 07:42 am #1 Last Edit: Oct 16, 2014, 07:42 am by galacticprobe
Nice! That's one lucky little girl you've got there!

Dino.
"What's wrong with being childish?! I like being childish." -3rd Doctor, "Terror of the Autons"

kiwidoc

Very nice, and a perfect fit-  well done!   Oh, and to have access to some of those tools... :P

This will look great(er) with a paintjob, looking forward to your updates!

steveski74

Thanks kiwidoc.
My mate runs a custom furniture factory, been in the business for over 20 years and was able to just push through the build process.  Was a very intense two days though.  My biggest constraint was I had to drive 700km to his factory in Melbourne to do the job.  I'd hoped to get it done in a day, but after 14 hours and things not fitting quite right, we decided to call it quits for the day.  Problem was he couldn't continue that weekend so I had to go back a month later.  Was good to get it sorted on round two :)

I helped another friend build a small bootstrapped CNC router and we dabbled in some cutting, but to see an massive machine running was fabulous.
I've got some videos of the some parts being cut, I'll see if I can post them here or at least put them on YouTube and add links.

steveski74

Jun 14, 2017, 01:26 pm #4 Last Edit: Jun 15, 2017, 12:04 am by steveski74
Well, after a long delay I finally got around to painting and re-assembling after moving house 2 years ago.
Here's the finished product..
TARDIS-ISO.JPGTARDIS-Front.JPGTARDIS-Happy Girl.JPG

russellsuthern

That's class!
How I would have loved a TARDIS wardrobe when I was a kid.... Your daughter must be over the moon!

Russell

Scarfwearer

House moves can get in the way for a time. But not forever.

It looks fabulous and she looks delighted!

Thanks for showing us how it ended up. :)