Apr 25, 2024, 07:27 am

News:

New, New TardisBuilders!

I'm keeping busy

Started by handofomega, Mar 23, 2009, 10:28 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

handofomega

Mar 23, 2009, 10:28 pm Last Edit: Feb 10, 2010, 09:54 pm by Scarfwearer
As many of you know my Sketch-Up work from the other board, I thought I would show off what I have been doing to keep busy.  

mytardis.jpg

mytardis1.jpg

mytardis2.jpg

mytardis3.jpg

mytardis4.jpg

mytardis5.jpg

mytardis6.jpg

What began as a training exercise to keep improving my skills at Sketch-Up turned into the above.   All in all it is a labor of love, but it also helps to keep my nerves calm after my father's passing.   Enjoy the pics.

Dematerialiser

Jun 27, 2009, 09:34 pm #1 Last Edit: Jan 16, 2010, 06:41 pm by scarfwearer
Hi Omega

I've played around with a couple of the plugins (trial versions) that are listed here:

http://sketchup.google.com/download/plugins.html

Some of the plugins integrate with sketchup - others are standalone applications that basically accept the sketchup file type. I tried hypershot (and I can't actually remember the other one I tried as didn't use it for long before uninstalling - so I at least remembered it wasn't very good  ::) ). I found that hypershot had some pro's (fast render time, ok interface) and some cons (coordinate based positioning of models and fixed lighting options, poor lighting and texture controls) but it's good to play around with if, like me, you're fairly new to 3d.

[Big Meanie PURPLE edited the shot out.  Hope you don't mind Demat, but as this console is nowhere near ready to be presented yet, I've removed it.  In case people are wondering why, I sent Demat a rough doodle Sketchup test that he kindly developed further for me to show me where my construction had gone wrong.]
EDIT: sorry Purp (just to clarify for readers: Purple's sketchup was a console arm from the NST console (but I forgot he'd modified it) - I modelled the rest of the console that was pictured here - don't want people to think I'm taking credit for someone elses sketchuping!  :o  ;).)

EDIT#2:

I've downloaded Irender (http://www.renderplus.com/htm/download.htm) which is by far the best plugin I've used to-date. Good lighting controls and nice results.

Here's my console (minus the arms this time, Purp  ;) ) which is really just a quick afternoon's effort that I did a couple of months ago so that I could experiment with some ideas and test the plugins. I haven't spent much more than an hour tinkering with Irender, but on the face of it I think it can achieve reasonably realistic looking renders, and quite quickly too

irender-console1-1.jpg

The nice thing about Irender (as opposed to Hypershot and another one I tried called VRay) is that you can add lights and move them around in sketchup.

Anyway, I hope you turn some of your mega-console-rooms into rendered versions  :)

cheers
Chris

handofomega

Mar 23, 2009, 10:32 pm #2 Last Edit: Feb 10, 2010, 09:50 pm by scarfwearer
Note to the Mods, I am pretty sure I put this thread in the wrong area.  You guys are more than welcome to move it to it's proper area.

;)

EDIT: Moved to the TARDIS Interior::Virtual and Model Builds section by Scarfwearer :)

atomicgraph

Mar 23, 2009, 11:14 pm #3 Last Edit: Feb 10, 2010, 09:51 pm by scarfwearer
sorry to the passing of your father. the console room looks great its very industrial nice appearance

Scarfwearer

Mar 23, 2009, 11:34 pm #4 Last Edit: Feb 10, 2010, 09:51 pm by scarfwearer
It's very grand and also has a Victorian feel, which seems appropriate. Have you tried inverting the alternate columns of roundels? I'm not sure whether that would look better or not.

It looks like a massive amount of work, anyway.

Having just spent the day on my feet, I find myself looking around it for a place to sit down. :) And I hope that upper deck gets a railing at some point. :)

Stepping into this from a police box exterior would be pretty overwhelming.

Looking forward to seeing more...

Crispin

handofomega

Mar 24, 2009, 02:08 am #5 Last Edit: Feb 10, 2010, 09:51 pm by scarfwearer
Quote from: scarfwearer on Mar 23, 2009, 11:34 pm

Having just spent the day on my feet, I find myself looking around it for a place to sit down. :) And I hope that upper deck gets a railing at some point. :)

Stepping into this from a police box exterior would be pretty overwhelming.

Crispin

Well once it is all put together I plan to have a sitting area or two.  I got to thinking about a Ship that can travel in time and someone like the Doctor who would probably have mementos and seating in his console room.   Hartnell's console room always struck me as appropriate in that respect.

As to the overwhelming aspect of the interior...  let me just say that the consoleroom side of the doors out are rather LARGE.
mytardis7.jpg

Oh and I will eventually put railings on the catwalks.   After all there are door ways to other parts of the ship up there as well.

handofomega

Mar 24, 2009, 02:11 am #6 Last Edit: Feb 10, 2010, 09:51 pm by scarfwearer
Quote from: scarfwearer on Mar 23, 2009, 11:34 pmIt's very grand and also has a Victorian feel, which seems appropriate. Have you tried inverting the alternate columns of roundels? I'm not sure whether that would look better or not.

Crispin

I thought about alternating them and I decided I didn't want to for some reason.   However now that I look at them I may alternate them after all.   For some reason the roundels just look better staggered.   

handofomega

Jun 25, 2009, 10:40 pm #7 Last Edit: Sep 16, 2019, 04:55 pm by handofomega
Well I took a break from my cavernous Console room and was just tinkering in Sketch-Up.  I got inspired by the Hartnell era build going on and decided to take a stab at it but with a few minor alterations.  I absolutely adore the Hartnell console but I always thought that there should be more controls on it.   So I took inspiration from consoles of the past and have been adding bits and bobs.  Take a look!!!

UltimateTARDIS1.jpg

UltimateTARDIS2.jpg

UltimateTARDIS3.jpg

UltimateTARDIS4.jpg

UltimateTARDIS5.jpg

UltimateTARDIS6.jpg

UltimateTARDIS7.jpg

UltimateTARDIS8.jpg

handofomega

Jun 25, 2009, 10:42 pm #8 Last Edit: Feb 10, 2010, 09:53 pm by scarfwearer
Now if I could just stay on task long enough to finish a project or two....

exilea

Jun 26, 2009, 06:05 am #9 Last Edit: Feb 10, 2010, 09:53 pm by scarfwearer
You are truly a whiz at creating console rooms! :D
Ladies and gentlemen and variations thereupon...

Scarfwearer

Jun 26, 2009, 08:31 am #10 Last Edit: Feb 10, 2010, 09:53 pm by scarfwearer
Quote from: exilea on Jun 26, 2009, 06:05 amYou are truly a whiz at creating console rooms! :D

I agree, and I'm looking forward to seeing some photo-realistic renderings of it eventually.

I also like consoles with lots of controls on them - the Baker era one always seemed a bit sparse compared with the Hartnell era.
You console looks satisfyingly full without seeming too cluttered.

I can't help thinking that any real console would have labels on the controls, as they do on jumbo jets. Perhaps after 900 years the Doctor knows the layout so well he's peeled them all off :).

Crispin

handofomega

Jun 26, 2009, 10:38 pm #11 Last Edit: Feb 10, 2010, 09:54 pm by scarfwearer
Quote from: scarfwearer on Jun 26, 2009, 08:31 amI agree, and I'm looking forward to seeing some photo-realistic renderings of it eventually.

Crispin

Crispin, do you have any suggestions of photo realistic programs I should look into???   I am keen on switching over sometime soon now that I am starting to feel confident on the 3D realm.

Scarfwearer

Jun 27, 2009, 09:17 am #12 Last Edit: Feb 10, 2010, 09:54 pm by scarfwearer
Quote from: handofomega on Jun 26, 2009, 10:38 pm

Crispin, do you have any suggestions of photo realistic programs I should look into???   I am keen on switching over sometime soon now that I am starting to feel confident on the 3D realm.

Goodness, I've no idea - hopefully one of our 3D fans will chip in with some advice.
I gather you can turn off the wireframe in sketch-up and get something closer to natural-looking, but I've no idea how.

Crispin

type 83

I love the big metal door thing, the Police Box door thing is good but, your idea is better.
It's in Scream of the Shalka, and it's awesome.

DoctorWho8

Quote from: handofomega on Mar 23, 2009, 10:28 pm
As many of you know my Sketch-Up work from the other board, I thought I would show off what I have been doing to keep busy.   

mytardis.jpg

I see your psychic powers were on as you have the large circle scanner screen just like the current TARDIS console room.
Bill "the Doctor" Rudloff