Apr 25, 2024, 08:45 am

News:

New, New TardisBuilders!

Tenth anniversary console

Started by seanclarke1, Mar 29, 2009, 03:02 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

seanclarke1

Mar 29, 2009, 03:02 pm Last Edit: Nov 29, 2010, 05:17 pm by Scarfwearer
My Console will be ten years old later this year.

Most of you have seen this already but here it is again to avoid taking over someone else's thread.  Perhaps there are some new members for whom this is not 'old news'.

jtardisn.jpg

view2p.jpg

view1x.jpg

trotor.jpg

[noimg width=434 height=292]http://img5.imageshack.us/img5/565/pvortex.jpg[/img]

pbracket.jpg

In answer to Purple's question.  A group did contact me to use the console for a fan film project.  Dates were arranged and rearranged and then canceled within days of the final filming date.  I haven't heard from them since and bear no ill will to them and if they still wished to use it they can.  Mind you this was a least a couple of years ago so the project has probably been shelved or completed.

Best regards,
Sean Clarke.

seanclarke1

Jun 28, 2009, 08:35 pm #1 Last Edit: Jan 16, 2010, 06:33 pm by scarfwearer
Hello,

Back again.

Noticed I hadn't answered all the questions.

The dark brown section is 'copper' hammer finished Hammerite.

The console is errected and still lives in the same place.  The only difference is that just the control panels are visible above a lot of stuff 'that might be useful on day'.  Yes it's stuff that could be used for a TARDIS console.

That's all (I think).

Best regards,
Sean.

greatwazoo42

Mar 30, 2009, 07:52 pm #2 Last Edit: Feb 10, 2010, 10:08 pm by scarfwearer
Now that is a work of art.  I really need to build one myself one of these days.

davidnagel

Jun 03, 2009, 11:52 am #3 Last Edit: Feb 10, 2010, 10:08 pm by scarfwearer
Hi Sean, glad to see more images of your console, it is a wonderful thing and has not had much acknowledgment over the years in the fan community I thought, it is a very good looking build and disappointed it never got a fan film outing! Depending where you are - I'm sure we could arrange something! HAHA

I'm curious, the dark brown section panels, is that just bare MDF?

Does it still sit there? Or is it boxed away somewhere now?
Regards
David

karsthotep

Jun 04, 2009, 07:02 pm #4 Last Edit: Feb 10, 2010, 10:08 pm by scarfwearer
I'll chime in here on this as well. I always loved this console, design and well everything. personally I would love to see more pictures of the rotor, does it light up?   
I want notes, lists and answers by the time I finish this here Juicy-a-Box! WARNING: I am Thirst-ay! And it is Fruit Punch! And it is Delicious!"

Scarfwearer

Jun 04, 2009, 07:54 pm #5 Last Edit: Feb 10, 2010, 10:08 pm by scarfwearer
I've been meaning to ask you, Sean, does the base come apart for transport? And if so, how did you arrange that?

Crispin

seanclarke1

Jun 28, 2009, 08:26 pm #6 Last Edit: Feb 10, 2010, 10:09 pm by scarfwearer
Hello All,

Just checking the new forum layout (which is excellent by the way) when I noticed the interest in my console.

First thank you to Scarf Wearer for moving my console images to the correct gallery.  In my enthusiasm to post the images I misread the section.

The console breaks down into thirty two separate pieces not including the time rotor.  When I moved I was able to transport the console in two car journeys in the boot of my Vauxall Astra Club.  Once the back seat is folded down there is a fair amount of space.  It beat having to hire a van.

The time rotor does not illuminate at present.  The plan was simply to place a battery powered torch underneath.  That way there would be no need for trailing wires near a moving mechanism.

I recently acquired a mechanism for rising and lowering a LCD/plasma TV.  When I get round to it I will attempt to adapt it to fit the console.  It even has a remote control.

The design of the console was deliberately stocky.  The thought was it was some where past the half way mark between the wood paneled secondary control console the main console.

I approached the designing of my console in the frame of mind that it was a prop rather than a piece of furniture.

Don't expect to hear any thing about a moving time rotor any time soon as I tend to have a slightly manic approach (everything or nothing) and at present it's the redecorating that's getting everything.

That's all for now.

Best regards,
Sean.

seanclarke1

May 06, 2007, 07:39 pm #7 Last Edit: Feb 21, 2010, 04:24 pm by Scarfwearer
Hello all,

JTARDISa.jpg

The above image is nothing new to those of you who remember the old TARDIS Rebuilders site.

No new developments to report either.

The main reason for posting this image is that I often attend conventions and other Dr Who events wearing a T-shirt with this image and this site address.

I get the impression that people I have directed to this site expect to see the above image and become uncertain that they have found the correct site when they can't find it.

Just to add I will be attending the Regenerations Convention at Swansea in September and will be wearing the above mentioned T-shirt if anybody wishes to speak to me.

Best regards,
Sean Clarke.

Scarfwearer

May 06, 2007, 10:12 pm #8 Last Edit: Feb 21, 2010, 04:23 pm by scarfwearer
It's a splendid console. It looks like it's on a set or at least in a sympathetic location. D'you still have it set up or is it stuck in the corner of a garage/workshop somewhere like mine?

Crispin

seanclarke1

May 07, 2007, 11:03 am #9 Last Edit: Feb 21, 2010, 04:23 pm by scarfwearer
Hello Crispin,

It's good to hear from you again.

The console still lives in the conditions seen in the photo.

The location is the inside of my shed.  The only difference is the floor space is covered in collected things that; "might be useful one day".

There is just enough room in the shed for me to sit in a chair and watch the console lights blink and pulse.

The central column still does not rise and fall although I have a partially built mechanism I have lacked the motivation to motivate the column.

Like anybody who builds anything I often have the thought that I can do better and have often considered building a totally original console.  The main stumbling block is lack of space and at present I have no wish to get rid of this console.

Am I right in the fact you are back in the UK Crispin?  If so perhaps our paths will cross one day.

Best regards,
Sean.

Scarfwearer

May 07, 2007, 04:14 pm #10 Last Edit: Feb 21, 2010, 04:23 pm by scarfwearer
Quote from: seanclarke1 board=show thread=1178480383 post=1178535825The location is the inside of my shed.  The only difference is the floor space is covered in collected things that; "might be useful one day".

My console room got cluttered like that quite often.

Quote from: seanclarke1 board=show thread=1178480383 post=1178535825Am I right in the fact you are back in the UK Crispin?  If so perhaps our paths will cross one day.

Yup, back in blighty, and yes we'll quite likely meet at a DW event sooner or later, and we can swap stories about strange nearly-30° angles we have cut. :)

Crispin

type 83

The clear bits inside the rotor look like plastic cups.

peterdalek

Actually the Time Rotor is not dis-similar to the Longleat/Blackpool consoles.

Peter

seanclarke1

No Plastic cups were used.

Indeed the time rotor design was inspired by the console I saw at Longleat.

Best regards,
Sean Clarke.

doctor varney

It is a work of art.  Very impressive!