Apr 20, 2024, 01:04 am

News:

New, New TardisBuilders!

Avoncroft Police Box

Started by LMC97, Aug 24, 2014, 03:26 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

LMC97

Aug 24, 2014, 03:26 pm Last Edit: Sep 04, 2014, 06:14 pm by LMC97
One day I was thinking about adding more to my collection of virtual builds and I thought I should try to make the Avoncroft Museum Police Box. That day was a really long time ago, but now it is time. I have made a rough list of things to do.

THINGS TO DO
Base
Windows
'Police Box' signs
Door
Roof
Lamp
Extra(meaning handles and other small detail)

LMC  :)
Next stop, EVERYWHERE

LMC97

Aug 24, 2014, 06:06 pm #1 Last Edit: Aug 24, 2014, 06:43 pm by LMC97
UPDATE  ::)
Added 2 posts to the base, a 'Police Box' sign and currently adding the first wall. The windows will be seperate because a few of them open.
3.jpg
That's all for now

Next stop, EVERYWHERE

LMC97

Aug 25, 2014, 04:05 pm #2 Last Edit: Aug 25, 2014, 04:10 pm by LMC97
OK, I think I might be in a faster time stream because I have already completed the Avoncroft box  :o
DONE.jpg
4.jpg
5.jpg
6.jpg
7.jpg
8.jpg
9.jpg
I may not make a desk inside yet.
That's all for now

Next stop, EVERYWHERE

Mark

Very nice.

Are you using any sort of measurements or winging it?

Either way it looks very well proportioned, and it wouldn't take much work to make an original style of Glasgow box either to add to your collection.

the_prop_maniac

Looks absolutely amazing. Well done!

- Tom
"When I was a young man, I had liberty, but I did not see it. I had time, but I did not know it. And I had love, but I did not feel it. Many decades would pass before I understood the meaning of all three."

LMC97

Aug 25, 2014, 06:59 pm #5 Last Edit: Aug 25, 2014, 07:01 pm by LMC97
Mark, I had a few measurements I got when I went to Avoncroft Museum with a tape measure, which helped. However most of the model I was winging it especially the roof because I couldn't even reach it  :). It was all worth it because it does add my collection of:
-1st Doctor's TARDIS
-8th Doctor's TARDIS
-9/10th Doctor's TARDIS
-11th Doctor's TARDIS
-Type 97 TARDIS (my TARDIS)
-Default TARDIS (no pictures)
and now a Glasgow Police Box
But now what else can I add?  :-\
Thanks for the comments

LMC
Next stop, EVERYWHERE

Mark

Looks like a pretty good guess for the roof, again nice work.

As to " what else can I add ?" - depends where you want to stop!

You have the altered Brachaki (3rd and 4th), the Newbery (4th), the TYJ (4th - 7th), the Cushing box, Barnet box style, Crich box style.....

Food for thought and there are still others :)

the_prop_maniac

If you would like some help on doing the Brachacki Altered LMC, I can send you the body of mine, with hardly any detail, so that you can take measurements, or maybe finish it yourself if you wanted to. Just send me a PM if you want it.

- Tom
"When I was a young man, I had liberty, but I did not see it. I had time, but I did not know it. And I had love, but I did not feel it. Many decades would pass before I understood the meaning of all three."

KIT-KAT

Lovely, your obviously very skilled.
No, not the mind probe!

LMC97

Jun 17, 2017, 09:23 pm #9 Last Edit: Jun 17, 2017, 09:23 pm by LMC97
Quote from: kitkat123 on Jun 17, 2017, 08:38 pm
Lovely, your obviously very skilled.

Thank you. I believe you are very skilled too judging by your work.

Next stop, EVERYWHERE

LMC97

Apr 16, 2018, 03:37 pm #10 Last Edit: Apr 16, 2018, 03:47 pm by LMC97
It's been a while since I've made an update here. For a while, I've been meaning to post a few rendered images of this box but this certain box came across some technical difficulties so I thought I would delay it for a while. After seeing the wonderful work of Lymerence with his police boxes, it made me believe that I shouldn't wait any longer and I solved the technical issues and here is the final result.
first.jpgsecond.jpgthird.jpg
I just had to make a rough night time render too.
night with light.jpg

There are also a few things I changed since the last update I made

• The door is now double sided

• The font in the top signs has been changed

• The lamp has also been modified

• The roof has been shortened

These were the most noticeable changes I made since my last update from...2014. Gosh, it has been a while  ;D

That's all for now.

Next stop, EVERYWHERE

Scarfwearer

Apr 16, 2018, 04:13 pm #11 Last Edit: Apr 16, 2018, 04:18 pm by Scarfwearer
Looks excellent!

There's a picture on the end of this link of Chris Kingbees and I visiting the real thing...
http://tardisbuilders.com/index.php?topic=676.msg1516#msg1516
...quite a while ago now. :)

Not to mention Chris and Doctor Iz further up thread.

chriskingbees

Goodness me Scarfy, that was 2009, we also took Dr Iz and his lovely wife, Lisa, to Crich that day, and Earl's Court the following day
Jon Lisa earls Court.jpg

KB

LMC97

Apr 17, 2018, 09:34 pm #13 Last Edit: Apr 17, 2018, 09:49 pm by LMC97
I've been to the Avoncroft Museum a few times. I especially enjoyed seeing the police box in person. I found it hard to leave. Luckily, me and my family took a few photos and I still have a small poster of it hanging on the wall behind my monitor. I went through the photos and realized a few things I didn't get right.
first.jpg
Firstly, I noticed I made the phone door too big. So I shortened it. I might get around to add in the features of the inside as the box looks a bit empty. It's not even bigger on the inside.  ;D
inside.jpg
I also made the blue in the top signs slightly darker.
top signs.jpg
I have made a few minor adjustments but they may not show in the images.
poster view.jpg

That's all for now.

Next stop, EVERYWHERE

hb88banzai

Apr 18, 2018, 08:46 am #14 Last Edit: Apr 18, 2018, 09:04 am by hb88banzai
Very nice work LMC97!

One small detail it seems you didn't notice, is that the sign lintels had ventilation holes on their bottoms, like the Met Mark 2's (though the number of sides with vents varied with the latter over time, and they were larger in the Met versions). Glasgow Boxes like Avoncroft actually had a pair of rectangular holes on all four sides of the Box.

Here's a photo of Avoncroft's left sign lintel that shows them --

Avoncroft Glasgow Open Door 2--Left Sign Box Vents Crop.jpg

And on the same photo, you can just make out the ones under the front sign (a bit obscured by cobwebs) --

Avoncroft Glasgow Open Door 2--Front Sign Box Vents Crop.jpg

Also of note is that unlike with Met Boxes, the front left window was openable on Glasgow Boxes, as was the right window in every other side, all other windows being fixed.

One last bit - on your speakerphone door sign you have "POLICE" straight across, while on Glasgow Boxes (and Avoncroft) they arched up, in opposition to "AMBULANCE" arching down below.

Avoncroft Glasgow Open Door 2--Speakerphone Crop.jpg

Also note that after "USE" there is a period "."