News:

New, New TardisBuilders!

Soldier's Tardis

Started by soldierblue, Aug 22, 2009, 04:35 am

Previous topic - Next topic

soldierblue

Aug 22, 2009, 04:35 am Last Edit: Nov 29, 2010, 01:22 pm by Scarfwearer
Hello all.
I am new to this site but not to Dr Who. I am old enough to remember seeing William Hartnell's doctor on TV in the early sixties.

First off I'd like to thank the people (you know who you are) who directed me to this site and especially Bill Rudolf who not only provided me his plans and dimensions but gave me the encouragement to begin the build of a series 5 Tardis. Thanks to you all.

Since I have been a life long fan and have never built anything in wood (and I mean nothing) it seemed obvious that I needed a Tardis. It's not merely a case of wanting one. I feel the need to own one. And after seeing some of the remarkable efforts on this site I am inspired.

My Tardis may not come out exact size or be as precise as some but it will be mine and look as close to the real thing as I personally am able to make it within the tight confines of a limited budget.

To encourage continuance and get an instant result. I decided to begin with the signage. But i wanted the signs to look as professional as possible so I merely had them made ( I even found a slight mistake in Bill's dimensions, and Bill was kind enough to say I am the first to notice it :) )

The Police box sign: 4 x Opal Acrylic sign panels with the wording cut of black vinyl for illumination.   This gives a good impression when unlit and I hope will look good when illuminated
DSCN1326.jpg

The door sign : is a brushed alloy acrylic panel with black text.
DSCN1324.jpg

Both these signs need weathering and I may simply leave them lying about in the back garden to see if if that helps make them look aged.

Yesterday I bought the wood (treated- permapine) for the base and the four corner posts.

The plan is to make the four corner posts go invisibly through the base and touch the floor (I hope this gives it the ability to carry the weight better). The posts will be fixed to the base and from this basic frame the rest of the box will be attached.

I'll post back when I have more news.

EDIT: fixed pictures :)

mordrogyn

Oct 25, 2009, 02:56 am #1 Last Edit: Jan 15, 2010, 11:46 pm by scarfwearer
Looking good, and I do like the way you attached those corner posts, through the floor, I never actually though of doing that, but now I am.
(http://i50.tinypic.com/20kan9v.jpg)

kiwidoc

Aug 22, 2009, 05:41 am #2 Last Edit: Jul 02, 2010, 04:16 pm by scarfwearer
Welcome!

DoctorWho8

Aug 22, 2009, 02:39 pm #3 Last Edit: Jul 02, 2010, 04:16 pm by scarfwearer
You're welcome, sir.  Good looking signs.  One thing I want to bring to your attention is that they seem to have switched one of the fonts on the door sign.  The top half in Times Roman is correct, but the bottom half went from VAG Rounded Thin (on the file) to Gill Sans Regular, which is the same font used for the Police Box Signs.  Not sure if that is a big deal for you, but it's not the first time a signmaker didn't bother to use the correct fonts.  However, I think I like the Gill Sans on there.  Again I leave it to be your call whether you take this issue up with the signmaker.  If they are willing to redo it because of the font issue, I can supply an EPS version of the file.
Bill Rudloff

soldierblue

Aug 23, 2009, 02:59 am #4 Last Edit: Jul 02, 2010, 04:16 pm by scarfwearer
Bill I do think the sign maker got a bit lazy and didn't change the font. I too like like the Gill Sans and I may wait until I get them to make the St John's sign before I ask them to redo the door sign.  I intend to put the St John's sign up and paint the window frames white on this Tardis but I am along way off that yet.

next thing is to begin the base.

soldierblue

Aug 29, 2009, 02:39 am #5 Last Edit: Jul 02, 2010, 04:18 pm by scarfwearer
This week the Tardis finally has a frame.

DSCN1329.jpg

The frame is held together at the moment by a brace. I was going to build the base beforehand but decided to build the base around the bottom of the frame and have a slatted floor.

The next picture shows how I have tried to make the base and post together. The floor of course is not yet fitted.
DSCN1332.jpg

This photo shows the interior of the corner posts and shows the pieces where the walls will be attached.
DSCN1330.jpg

And finally this picture shows the exterior of the posts where they join the base.

DSCN1334.jpg

As you may have noticed form the top pic my temporary workshop is cluttered (I borrowed some space from someone I know in their workshop) but it is just enough to build the Tardis.

The idea is the frame touches the ground the Tardis floor hangs off of the frame.

The walls will be made next and they should take some time but once screwed in place they will hold the frame together and I can remove the braces.

EDIT: fixed pictures - SW

Scarfwearer

Sep 14, 2009, 08:50 am #6 Last Edit: Jul 02, 2010, 04:18 pm by scarfwearer
You're storming along there - it's looking great!

I've edited several of your posts so we can see the pictures in place rather than as links. If you go back and click the Modify button to the top right of a post you can see what I did.

Dustyfro recently started a thread on building the phone door: That obnoxious little door!

Crispin

DoctorWho8

Sep 15, 2009, 12:24 am #7 Last Edit: Jul 02, 2010, 04:18 pm by scarfwearer
It's looking good.  My only critique is that the central dividers on the doors and sides look thin.  Are they 1.5in. wide?
Bill Rudloff

soldierblue

Sep 23, 2009, 01:03 am #8 Last Edit: Jul 02, 2010, 04:18 pm by scarfwearer
Bill
I agree the divers do look a bit thin.

I am sure they are 1.5 inches but metric version so should probably buy the next size up. Will probably do them later. I really just want to get the four walls on first.

soldierblue

Sep 23, 2009, 01:12 am #9 Last Edit: Jul 02, 2010, 04:19 pm by scarfwearer
Progress has slowed down but I do have the little door finished.

I couldn't resist putting the door sign on. I don't know how to make the pics show on page so here's the link. (EDIT: Fixed. - SW)

DSCN1350.jpg
[/img]http://s99.photobucket.com/albums/l310/soldierblue123/DSCN1350.jpg[/img]

Here it is with a handle fitted to the door. I still have to work out a way to recess the wood where the sign fits. Will do this later.

DSCN1351.jpg

I know the phone on 9th and 10th Doctors' tardis is merely hanging on back of that little door but for security reasons I though I should enclose that space so I have made a small cupboard instead.

DSCN1354.jpg

Here's the door from the left hand side

DSCN1355.jpg

And finally I couldn't resist fitting the top sign to see what it looked like.

DSCN1356.jpg

dustyfro

Sep 30, 2009, 04:02 am #10 Last Edit: Jul 02, 2010, 04:19 pm by scarfwearer
Ooh, your little door looks nice!
x Hannah

avadh

Sep 30, 2009, 11:22 pm #11 Last Edit: Jul 02, 2010, 04:19 pm by scarfwearer
Soldier excellent work on your tardis very inspiring indeed.

soldierblue

Oct 05, 2009, 04:09 am #12 Last Edit: Nov 29, 2010, 01:22 pm by Scarfwearer
Due to illness work has slowed on the TARDIS.

But I decided to give it an undercoat of paint. I chose Dulux all in one sealer, primer and undercoat. As you can see from the picture blo it's white.

04102009107.jpg

I'll undercoat it as it is then take it to pieces before I paint it blue. Although, I am tempted to slap some blue on to see what it will look like. But, want to finsh the walls and complete the roof asap.

Still don't know what I will do for the glass windows and the flashing light yet but aren't ther eyet so no need to panic just yet.

slidin_sidewayz

Oct 05, 2009, 01:51 pm #13 Last Edit: Jul 02, 2010, 04:21 pm by scarfwearer
Hey hey! Look who I find! :-D Nice pics there Steve! it's coming along well! In fact, you could say you're encouraging me, if you check my Facebook pics. I'm progressing well. I need to repeat what I've done 3 more times and I'm almost there! Anyway, Looking good! Seeya! ;-)

TG

Oct 05, 2009, 09:35 pm #14 Last Edit: Jul 02, 2010, 04:21 pm by scarfwearer
Nice looking TARDIS soldierblue
I like 'The Mind Robber' style makeover!
TG