Mar 29, 2024, 04:40 am

News:

New, New TardisBuilders!

Glen ('KiwiDoc')'s TARDIS

Started by kiwidoc, Jun 08, 2006, 10:16 am

Previous topic - Next topic

kiwidoc

Jun 08, 2006, 10:16 am Last Edit: Mar 20, 2010, 08:56 pm by Scarfwearer
Hey weird - I realised that I never posted anything in here about my own build as it was complete before this board was started.  Well the only addition that I've made in the last 2 years was actually today and I've improved my POLICE BOX signs a little, perhaps inspired by Purple and Karsten's recent acquistions.

My signs were made with 'opaque' perspex/acrylic which means that they look like clear glass but anything behind them gets blurrier and lburrier the further away it is.  This is fine for lighting from the inside, but when the lights are off, the letters simply appears as clear instead of whitish and the words are hard to read.  To make up for that I have usually left a sheet of paper a little behind each sign so that there was a light background, but had to remove it before turning lights on...

ANYWAY.... Today I ordered and received 4 pieces of 'opal' perspex whcih is waht is used in most business signs - white looking but allows light through when lit from behind.   I took the fronts off each sign box (they're designed to pry off easily) and wedged the opal sheets in about 2" behind the front sign.   This gives pleasant white background to the signs when lights are off without looking like it's printed driectly onto white perspex, but when the internal light is on, it looks FAB!!!   ;D    The letters are now glowy white which I like - before they looked good but more the colour of the lightbulb coming through, and it has also deepened the colour of the blue surrounds to a more appropriate shade (as per Met boxes).  Very happy alround, it only took $30 (10 pounds) and a few hours to do.    Only took me 2 years to get around to it though.  What's next?...  Maybe I'll finally put somthing behind the PULL sign.  See you for an update in 2008!

- glen

ps:  Mobile phone cameras suck!!  Or maybe it's me...    :-[

2321487497_0.jpg
Without backing
2321488393_0.jpg
And again
2321486345_0.jpg
Mid insertion
2321485577_0.jpg
Good with no lights
2321484041_0.jpg
Good with lights!
:)

doctor007

Sep 25, 2009, 11:35 pm #1 Last Edit: Jan 15, 2010, 11:37 pm by scarfwearer
Yes Glen,
     Did the Doctor tell you what he thought?  Did he feel at home?

karsthotep

Jun 08, 2006, 12:10 pm #2 Last Edit: Mar 20, 2010, 07:20 pm by scarfwearer
I always liked yours Glen, one of the first and one of the ones that inspired me to get more active  in on the boards to begin with.  :)  Love that box.
I want notes, lists and answers by the time I finish this here Juicy-a-Box! WARNING: I am Thirst-ay! And it is Fruit Punch! And it is Delicious!"

dematerialiser

Jun 08, 2006, 12:59 pm #3 Last Edit: Mar 20, 2010, 07:20 pm by scarfwearer
yeh - nice one Glen. I'm going for the same kind of perspex for mine in the end. And good to see your box is still alive and well - it's a  favourite of all builders everywhere by now I would think!  ;)

cheers
Chris

TG

Jun 08, 2006, 02:33 pm #4 Last Edit: Mar 20, 2010, 07:21 pm by scarfwearer
Hi Glen
I have a picture of your TARDIS on my wall - and I love it   :-*
I wouldn't have considered building a TARDIS but it was your build that inspired me to try.
It's looking sooooo good, that white background makes the lettering look wonderful.

Big RESPECT  :D
TG

Doctor Iz

Jun 08, 2006, 10:15 pm #5 Last Edit: Mar 20, 2010, 07:21 pm by scarfwearer
Glen,

I was wondering why I never saw a thread with you build posted on it.
I saw Karst's signage yesterday, and absolutely loved the work.

I would agree with the above posts when it comes to your famous build.  You got the ball rolling for the rest of us, who just dreamed of having our own TARDIS's.  You made it a reality!  We could not have done it without you and your manual.  It goes without saying that the rest of the people on the forum are absolute the best in the universe from my perspective.  Only if the rest of the world behaved and was as helpful as you guy and gals are, this planet would be a happier place to live for others.

Okay, enought philosophy.  I look foward to seeing more posts on your thread.

Cheers,
Jon
(http://i67.photobucket.com/albums/h310/jonizdo/Logos/DRIZ_rev20080226copy-2.jpg)

kiwidoc

Jun 08, 2006, 10:29 pm #6 Last Edit: Mar 20, 2010, 07:21 pm by scarfwearer
Aw Shucks guys  ( :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D), but credit where it's due - I came online looking for help in building a box and in those days there was just the MSN TARDIS Builders Guild site and 1 website about a 1/2 size replica (The Blue Box project).  Out of all the builds seen online at the time the most impressive thing I had ever seen were 3 pics of one of the prototypes built for TPE by asibley0909.  I contacted Anthony and he helpd me out and inspired my build in dozens of ways as well as becoming a good friend, so all I've ever tried to do since is keep that sharing feeling going.  In return I've (virtually) met all of you great people and have a reason (an ADDICTVE reason) to go on the net several times a day to see the latest updates.    Yay!!    <Big Tennant Style Hugs for everyone...>

;D

cyberleader1991

Jun 09, 2006, 01:01 am #7 Last Edit: Mar 20, 2010, 07:22 pm by scarfwearer
Quote from: kiwidoc board=build thread=1149761764 post=1149805748In return I've (virtually) met all of you great people and have a reason (an ADDICTVE reason) to go on the net several times a day to see the latest updates.

Whew! Glad to know I'm not the only one who does...  ::)

T

kiwidoc

Jun 09, 2006, 03:58 am #8 Last Edit: Mar 20, 2010, 07:22 pm by scarfwearer
I'm checking this from work right now...     

And when I posted something earlier.

and about an hour before that...

But I work really hard the rest of the time.....    ::) ::) ;)

Doctor Iz

Jun 09, 2006, 04:24 am #9 Last Edit: Mar 20, 2010, 07:22 pm by scarfwearer
Glen - I believe you!

Keep having fun at work!

All work and no play = no fun!
:)

Jon
(http://i67.photobucket.com/albums/h310/jonizdo/Logos/DRIZ_rev20080226copy-2.jpg)

Scarfwearer

Jun 09, 2006, 08:30 pm #10 Last Edit: Mar 20, 2010, 07:22 pm by scarfwearer
It is indeed a lovely build - and for the curious, Glen's build photo diary is over on the other channel:
New Zealand Build
209 Photos!
Cheers Glen!

Crispin

Doctor Iz

Jun 10, 2006, 02:32 pm #11 Last Edit: Mar 20, 2010, 07:23 pm by scarfwearer
glen, I am getting ready to start the frame work for my doors.
I was checking out your build on the builders guild.  Am I correct that  you have two set of doors, front and rear?

I think I might do the same thing too, just in case I decide to put my TARDIS indoors.

I will posting questions later today on my thread about the framing for sure.

Thanks again.  I welcome everyones input.

Cheers,
Jon