News:

New, New TardisBuilders!

Doctor IZ's TARDIS

Started by Doctor Iz, May 03, 2006, 03:20 am

Previous topic - Next topic

kiwidoc

Jun 25, 2006, 07:30 am #90 Last Edit: Jan 30, 2010, 02:42 am by doctoriz
Thing of Beauty Jon -
I bet that when you go to bed tonight, your thoughts will still be out in the workshop, thinking about the next step...

Great stuff!   :D

dalethetimelord

Jun 25, 2006, 01:10 pm #91 Last Edit: Jan 30, 2010, 02:43 am by doctoriz
Looking amazing there, Jon - although the Dalek in the front of your last picture's not terribly impressed....

Doctor Iz

Jun 25, 2006, 10:08 pm #92 Last Edit: Jan 30, 2010, 02:43 am by doctoriz
Quote from: kiwidoc board=build thread=1146626413 post=1151220649Thing of Beauty Jon -
I bet that when you go to bed tonight, your thoughts will still be out in the workshop, thinking about the next step...
Great stuff!   :D

Glen,
You are absolutely right.  I went to bed around 02:45hrs this AM after uploading my pics to photobucket and adding the new posts.
It truly is a great feeling working on this build.  I just remember how much I wanted to have a TARDIS when I was a kid and now it's becoming a reality.   Very nice indeed!
Quote from: admin board=build thread=1146626413 post=1151241023Looking amazing there, Jon - although the Dalek in the front of your last picture's not terribly impressed....

Dale, this is your first response on my thread, and I appreciate your comments and your work on this board -- Thank you!
I had laugh when I read your post! :)  I totally agree with you that my Dalek did not appear too impressed >:(, but that's his usual look.  It's hard to find a good Dalek and especially one that is impressed by Time Lords!  ;)  You know how those Dalek's are, not very photogenic!   ;D

I appreciate both yours and glens comments.

I don't know how to post multiple quotes, I hope this worked.
I basically had to open another tab in Mozilla and cut and paste another quote.  Is that you how you guys are doing it?

Cheers,
Jon :D
(http://i67.photobucket.com/albums/h310/jonizdo/Logos/DRIZ_rev20080226copy-2.jpg)

dalethetimelord

Jun 25, 2006, 10:13 pm #93 Last Edit: Jan 30, 2010, 02:44 am by doctoriz
Just to add - something I've said to several stateside people today, that having a passion for something is great, amazing and truly wonderful.  I'm really glad you're going to have your TARDIS, Jon, and thank you for sharing the project with us, it's appreciated.

Doctor Iz

Jun 25, 2006, 10:23 pm #94 Last Edit: Jan 30, 2010, 02:44 am by doctoriz
Quote from: admin board=build thread=1146626413 post=1151273590Just to add - something I've said to several stateside people today, that having a passion for something is great, amazing and truly wonderful.  I'm really glad you're going to have your TARDIS, Jon, and thank you for sharing the project with us, it's appreciated.

Dale, thanks for those kind and inspiring words.
I am glad to have an audience WHO enjoys TARDIS's/British Met Police Boxes, Dr. WHO, K9's, consoles etc! 
I have said a few times on this forum that the nicest people I met are right here on this board.  I wish the rest of the world could have a little more compassion, empathy, integrity and a sense of nobility that I have witnessed here.  We all need a little Dr. WHO inside of us. ;)
In addition, to your passion statement.  I agree whole heartedly.
One thing I wanted to add personally, is that in my life, there are what I call the 3-D's (Desire, Determination & Dedication) that equal success at anything in life.  The fuel or catalyst that inspire those 3-D's is passion.  Passion makes the whole thing kinetic.

These are my words!
Jon

PS - How do you change the font size and colours of your quotes in bottom of your posts?
(http://i67.photobucket.com/albums/h310/jonizdo/Logos/DRIZ_rev20080226copy-2.jpg)

dalethetimelord

Jun 25, 2006, 11:24 pm #95 Last Edit: Jan 30, 2010, 02:44 am by doctoriz
use size= and then what size you want, and colour= and what colour you want, in square brackets [], at the start, and don't forget to close the tags again at the end or it won't work!

For example open bracket size=3 close bracket, then the same for colour and then your text, followed by open bracket /size close bracket and the same for colour again

On June 28, Superman Returns... [/color]

karsthotep

Jun 26, 2006, 12:00 am #96 Last Edit: Jan 30, 2010, 02:45 am by doctoriz
oh my god jon, that is looking absolutely awesome,  You are making strides in leaps and bounds, I can't wait to see more of it,   When will you begin the sign boxes?  Have you settled on what style you are looking for?  Still the 2005 font?  Let me know.. and once again, beautiful beautiful work :)

Karst
I want notes, lists and answers by the time I finish this here Juicy-a-Box! WARNING: I am Thirst-ay! And it is Fruit Punch! And it is Delicious!"

Doctor Iz

Jun 26, 2006, 03:04 am #97 Last Edit: Jan 30, 2010, 02:45 am by doctoriz
Quote from: karsthotep board=build thread=1146626413 post=1151280001oh my god jon, that is looking absolutely awesome,  You are making strides in leaps and bounds, I can't wait to see more of it,   When will you begin the sign boxes?  Have you settled on what style you are looking for?  Still the 2005 font?  Let me know.. and once again, beautiful beautiful work :) Karst

Karst - many thanks!  I am glad to see the progress myself.  I have to place the stiles on the plywood this week.  Looking forward to that for sure.  She's really coming together. ;D
As for the sign boxes, they are up next, right after I place all the stiles into position.  The signage, I still have mixed feelings about what to use after your previous post.  I really want that TARDISie look.  I will be upfront, I really like the 2005 signage look, the font, the background and lettering colour.  I just don't know if it will look right.  I am looking for opinions.  ???
Again, I am following Glen's manual and making modifications with the help of Purp, Colin along with anyone else's suggestions as I go.  I only used Doc Neale's plans for dimensions of the box itself.  In addition, at this point I am only going to make a two step roof instead of three.  I think I might just put the old girl in my home and she won't fit with a three stepped roof.
On page 3 of my thread I posted Doc Neale's plans, as well as Rob Semenoff's plans just for signage comparison, but have not gotten any feed back.  Anyway, anything your can help me with I would appreciate that very much.  Thanks again, you have been a huge asset to my build and an inspiration.  I remember looking on Glen's web site looking for TARDIS plans and spotted your build.  I sent out a handful of emails and you were the first and ONLY person that contacted me back.  Remember?  Seems like a long time ago.  Any new pics of your build?  I've been watching for them.   
Quote from: admin board=build thread=1146626413 post=1151277870use size= and then what size you want, and colour= and what colour you want, in square brackets [], at the start, and don't forget to close the tags again at the end or it won't work!  For example open bracket size=3 close bracket, then the same for colour and then your text, followed by open bracket /size close bracket and the same for colour again On June 28, Superman Returns... [/color]

Dale -- many thanks! Your instructions worked like a charm.
Just to clarify the previous post, you were referencing the SHOP VAC, right?  ???  Not my friend Tim in the background?  He did have a smug look on his face.  He could be a Dalek in disguise!  LOL.  If it is the SHOP VAC, that Dalek was sucking a ton of saw dust yesterday and almost burned out! :o
Oh, another dumb question, what's the deal with Karma?  I have a 5, what does that mean? 

Cheers,
Jon

Doctor Iz

Jun 26, 2006, 03:27 am #98 Last Edit: Jan 30, 2010, 05:09 am by doctoriz
 Ladies and Gent's, a few more pics I forgot to post.  ;)

Tardiswithheader.jpg

Headerofinnerframefordoors.jpg

Why did I cut into the bottom side of the 2x4 header ~ 1"?  Well, the door heights are supposed to be 78" tall on my plans.  I cut my  vertical stud is exactly 78" from the base to correspond with the door height.  I forgot to figure the 1/2" of door that is concealed behind the 3-steps above the door.  So I really should have cut the vertical studs to 78.5" So I made the height of the opening between the header and base 80" to allow for clearance of opening doors.  Also, I had to chisel out a 1/2" on the sides to allow for the stiles of the doors to be concealed behind the corner posts a 1/2". Just FYI!

Headerofinnerframefordoors1a.jpg

Headerofinnerframefordoors1b.jpg

Internalviewofdoorframing.jpg

Just enough room for my auto.  Not enough room for hers though!

Justenoughroom.jpg

Cheers,
Jon

purpleblancmange

Jun 26, 2006, 07:34 am #99 Last Edit: Jan 30, 2010, 05:09 am by doctoriz
Looking good Jon, it's really coming together now.  In the mean time, get a big, fat, felt tip pen and draw those windows and panels on the walls - that'll give you an idea of what it'll be like when you finally cut them out!  In fact, you could really go to town and add all the other details on too... might be a bit of fun.

Hmmm, writing to TARDIS owners on The TARDIS Library and not getting an answer, bar Karst... that's a bit mean.  Mind you, you didn't write to me  :'(

Keep up the great work.

mantamatt

Jun 26, 2006, 10:40 am #100 Last Edit: Jan 30, 2010, 05:10 am by doctoriz
Hey Man!

You mailed me Dr. Iz and I sent you a mail on 4th April directing you here.... did it get lost? Or are confusing your builders  ;)

BTW your TARDIS is looking great keep up the good work

MantaMatt

-----Original Message-----
Sent: 04 April 2006 09:54
To: 'Jonathon Izbicki'
Subject: RE:

Hi Jon

No problem.

My Police Box is a bit odd because I bought it from a company called 'this planet earth' and since then have made modifications. So this is probably not the route you want to go down.

The good news is that there are loads of people doing the same thing as you - building one from scratch.

My advice would be to join http://tardisboard.proboards43.com/ you will find lots of people who could help you there and the answers to the questions you have, which are common questions.

Also check out http://groups.msn.com/thetardisbuildersguild/ . If you trawl through the pictures then you can find plans for different types of Tardis (for there are many)

Check out the links on both of these sites.

One particular link takes you to pages by 'kiwidoc' (http://homepages.paradise.net.nz/~trekker/policeboxes/) a fan from New Zealand who has an excellent website with instructions on how to go about building one - a Tardis builders guide. The only thing he doesn't give you are the plans themselves but you can get these through the other sites (or draw up your own)

I have recently repainted my box Weathershield high gloss Royal blue. I am not sure which pictures you have seen, it has been a number of different shades over the years, possibly french navy.

Best of luck!

Out of interest, which website did you find my Tardis on?
-----Original Message-----
Sent: 03 April 2006 20:45
To: Williams, Matt
Subject:
Hi Matt,
My name is Jon Izbicki.

<snip>....

Doctor Iz

Jun 26, 2006, 12:58 pm #101 Last Edit: Jan 30, 2010, 05:10 am by doctoriz
Purp,
This is how I got started, when I first saw the New Series on SCIFI, I got interested in building a TARDIS.  The New Series brought back a rush of old memories, one of them was to have my own TARDIS.  So, I started goggling Dr.WHO and TARDIS.  One night, I came across, Glen's site.  I did not find his manual that night, but found the page on Replica's.  I emailed those people who had links with emails.  Pete Darrington, Alasdair Dewar,  and Andy Blues if I remember correctly.  I saw pics of your build, but no email, otherwise I would have sent you an email too  ;).  I was quite manic about getting a TARDIS built and needed help on how and where to start.  :o
After going through Glen's site, I saw the manual link and downloaded it.  The next day, Karst sent me a return email and that's how I came to be on both forums and this far on my build. 

I have to clarify here, I did receive an email from Manta directing me to Glen's web site, the TR2 forum and msngroups tardis builders guild as well. I almost forgot, until he mentioned the thing about planet earth and remember checking out the price and decided I would rather build one -- THANKS MANTA and SORRY!  :-[   That's my story!

I like your idea of drawing the windows out on the ply.  What dimensions did you cut your windows?  The recessed panels are 12x15".  I was figuring 13x16" for the windows this way a 1/2" of stiles would be exposed from inside looking out.  Is that what you did?  What about the phone panel dimensions? 
Thanks for following my build and your suggestions.

Cheers,
Jon 

Doctor Iz

Jun 26, 2006, 01:13 pm #102 Last Edit: Jan 30, 2010, 05:11 am by doctoriz
Quote from: mantawrays board=build thread=1146626413 post=1151318414Hey Man!
You mailed me Dr. Iz and I sent you a mail on 4th April directing you here.... did it get lost? Or are confusing your builders  ;)
BTW your TARDIS is looking great keep up the good work
MantaMatt

Matt, dude, I am sincerely sorry and please accept my apology man.  I feel badly.  Soon as I saw your post, I recalled the email you sent.  I appreciate your help.  Back then, everything seemed new and a bit confusing.  I just simply forgot.  I should put it out there, Matt and Karst both have been awesome with support, encouragement and a source of inspiration to get the ball rolling on my build.  Many thanks!  To everyone else following and helping me with my build, a million thanks too.

Matt thanks for your comments and following my build!

Just because I have sometimers disease, sometimes I remember, sometimes I don't; I want to apologize to anyone who might have sent me an email reply that I did not remember. 

My apologies everyone,
Jon  :-[  :-[  :-X  :'(

Sorvan

Jun 26, 2006, 03:04 pm #103 Last Edit: Jan 30, 2010, 05:11 am by doctoriz
Quote from: driz board=build thread=1146626413 post=1151291081what's the deal with Karma?  I have a 5, what does that mean?

Under other people's Karma scores, there's:
[ Exalt | Smite ]

If you click on the Exalt they get +1 Karma, if you click on Smite they get -1 Karma.  Of course the administrators can dish out Karma as they like, so some people have LOTS of Karma.  I believe you can only do this once per day.

Colin

Doctor Iz

Jun 26, 2006, 06:32 pm #104 Last Edit: Jan 30, 2010, 05:12 am by doctoriz
Colin, thanks.  +1 Karma to you then for your response.

Jon