Apr 24, 2024, 08:25 am

News:

New, New TardisBuilders!

Doctor IZ's TARDIS

Started by Doctor Iz, May 03, 2006, 03:20 am

Previous topic - Next topic

karsthotep

May 06, 2006, 05:47 pm #15 Last Edit: Jan 30, 2010, 02:04 am by doctoriz
Wow, you are doing an awesome job, I am glad you joined up and you really look like you have a handle on this project, good job, I am eager to see more of your progress, You are going to be completed before my fiberglass one is even done.  Rockin job.  We need to have a North America TARDIS rebuilders get together.  I am in Vermont,  I really need to post more its just tough with work, planning a wedding, buying a house..etc.  Anyways good job.  What plans are you using by the way? Standard season 18? 

Karsten
I want notes, lists and answers by the time I finish this here Juicy-a-Box! WARNING: I am Thirst-ay! And it is Fruit Punch! And it is Delicious!"

Doctor Iz

May 06, 2006, 08:11 pm #16 Last Edit: Jan 30, 2010, 02:04 am by doctoriz
Tom thanks for the pics that helps.  Your Tardis looks totally awesome.  I'll make sure the dowel screws are at different heights to avoid wing nut collisions.  LOL.  DId u use wing nuts on the bottom the corner posts to lock them down like the walls? 

Karsten, I took all the plans that you gave me an sorted thru them.  I am using Doc Neals plans for demensions, then using the Tardis Manual for the rest.  I am looking at the plans that you sent that had the soccer ball night light for the lamp fixture as well.  I did get the fresnel light, I had to buy the whole light for like 60.00 US.  I also per your recs got the Yale 706 Night latch from the UK, which was about another 60.00 US.  I am starting the corner posts probably tomorrow.  Tom was nice enough to send me some pics of how he mounted the posts to the wall.  The people on this forum are absolute the nicest people I've talked to in a long time.

I agree about a North America Tardis Rebuilders get together.  We will all wait until your live settles down a little.  I've been there, it's a bit crazy for a while, then life settles down some!

I'll keep you posted on my progress and I apologize up front to everyone for my long posts and questions.

Jon
(http://i67.photobucket.com/albums/h310/jonizdo/Logos/DRIZ_rev20080226copy-2.jpg)

cyberleader1991

May 06, 2006, 11:06 pm #17 Last Edit: Jan 30, 2010, 02:04 am by doctoriz
Quote from: driz board=build thread=1146626413 post=1146946300DId u use wing nuts on the bottom the corner posts to lock them down like the walls?

No, those screws just slot in, the whole rest of the box (I hate calling it that) just sits on the base.

QuoteThe people on this forum are absolute the nicest people I've talked to in a long time. Jon

I think we all subconsciously want there to be as many replica TARDISes as possible so the rest of us don't look crazy/daft/mad etc.!!! :P

T

Sorvan

May 07, 2006, 02:20 am #18 Last Edit: Jan 30, 2010, 02:05 am by doctoriz
Quote from: karsthotep board=build thread=1146626413 post=1146937636We need to have a North America TARDIS rebuilders get together.

It's an interesting idea, but I don't think it's terribly feasible.  Perhaps an east coast or west coast gathering, but I'd be pretty surprised if any of us were willing to travel half way across the continent for a little get-together.  The UK has it easy because it's such a tiny little country. ;D  Sure, they did manage to rule a large portion of the world at one point, but the US is 39.3 times the size of the UK and Canada is 40.7 times.  My home province (Manitoba) is 2.6 times the size of the UK by itself. :o  It might be nice to meet some of you at some point, but I imagine that any such meetings would be as a result of other activities which would draw me into the area.  I can imagine that the Pennsic War might draw me into Pennsylvania one day and a stop in Erie might not be out of the question.  It's also theoretically possible to go to Washington state while visiting my parents in BC.  I can't think of any reason that I'd be going near Vermont, though.  If anyone is passing through Winnipeg for some reason, let me know. ;D

One thing that I don't think has been mentioned here before is the Frappr Map that someone on the Tardis Builders Guild set up to see where the various builds are located.  There are a few people listed, and it shows how far away they are.

Colin

Sorvan

May 07, 2006, 02:23 am #19 Last Edit: Jan 30, 2010, 02:05 am by doctoriz
Quote from: cyberleader1991 board=build thread=1146626413 post=1146956793I think we all subconsciously want there to be as many replica TARDISes as possible so the rest of us don't look crazy/daft/mad etc.!!!

Um... Tom...

Is that you in the Darth Vader costume, with your kid running around in the Cyberman helmet?   I think it's too late for you to start worrying about that. ;D

Colin

cyberleader1991

May 07, 2006, 03:01 am #20 Last Edit: Jan 30, 2010, 02:05 am by doctoriz
Quote from: sorvan board=build thread=1146626413 post=1146968616Um... Tom... Is that you in the Darth Vader costume, with your kid running around in the Cyberman helmet?   I think it's too late for you to start worrying about that. ;D Colin

lol!

Doctor Iz

May 08, 2006, 02:12 am #21 Last Edit: Jan 30, 2010, 02:06 am by doctoriz
I have to agree with Colin on the North America Tardis Rebuilders get together.  It's a great idea but hard to do.  The only thing I can say is that if anyone is traveling through Northwest Pennyslvania, I welcome the visit and that's all I got say about that! LOL.

Jon
(http://i67.photobucket.com/albums/h310/jonizdo/Logos/DRIZ_rev20080226copy-2.jpg)

Doctor Iz

May 08, 2006, 02:44 am #22 Last Edit: Jan 30, 2010, 02:06 am by doctoriz
I started on the corner posts this evening.  I basically got the materials cut to dimension and started setting up the corners.  Suggestions, should I use four clamps along the length of the post, use Liquid Nails, then tightly clamp then wait and drill pilot holes then screw corners together for additional support?   Here are some pics.

LEFT PICTURE:
The left side of the left picture shows 12 planks of 4" x 89".
On the Right side of the left picture shows a total of 4 planks of 5" x 89".  All Pine is 1" thick.  I used this in place of MDF. 

RIGHT PICTURE:
Jon and Tim ripping 1" x 12" x 96" Yellow Pine to make corner pieces for the picture on the left.
CornerPostStock.jpg

JonTimrippingCornerpost2.jpg

Corner Construction:
I have yet to use Liquid Nails and screw corners together.  Anyone with final advice before I glue and screw these pieces together.  I am first starting with the 5" butted up against the 1" side of the 4" wide plank.  I then will add the remaining  1" x 4" to make the 6" corners.

Squaringupcornerpoststep1a.jpg

Squaringupcornerpoststep1.jpg

Inch by inch life's a cinch, yard by yard, it's very hard.  I am taking this one step at a time.

Jon  :)

cyberleader1991

May 08, 2006, 11:46 am #23 Last Edit: Jan 30, 2010, 02:07 am by doctoriz
Quote from: driz board=build thread=1146626413 post=1147056296Anyone with final advice before I glue and screw these pieces together.  Jon  :)

I'd drill all the screw holes first, glue, clamp, then screw. If you let the glue dry, then install screws the glue seam will crack, defeating its purpose. And you have to drill holes for the screw to pass through the first piece of wood, or it will just push the two pieces apart. I had about 7 screws running down one half of one corner post.

T

purpleblancmange

May 08, 2006, 11:51 am #24 Last Edit: Jan 30, 2010, 02:07 am by doctoriz
Adding to Tom's comments, I'd also stagger your screws left and right so that they don't run the length of your corner posts in a straight line.  Having them in a straight line can cause problems later on, with the swelling and contracting of the timber, cracks can form and having the screws in this formation will allow the crack to grow.

Staggering them tends to prevent this from happening.

Doctor Iz

May 09, 2006, 12:42 am #25 Last Edit: Jan 30, 2010, 02:08 am by doctoriz
Tom and Purple, thanks for the advice. 
I'll post some more pics when the corners are done.

Peace,
Jon

P.S. - Tom I love ur new pic! LOL ;D

creativeguy

May 09, 2006, 07:27 am #26 Last Edit: Jan 30, 2010, 02:08 am by doctoriz
I used to live not too far from Erie, about 40 miles south of it really. If I still lived there now I'd come up and give you a hand. This thing is looking great!

Doctor Iz

May 09, 2006, 01:09 pm #27 Last Edit: Jan 30, 2010, 02:08 am by doctoriz
creativeguy,

wow, it's nice to know someone knows where Erie PA is located.
Did you live near Meadville?  Man, if you were still living around here, I would certainly welcome the help. :)    I'll keep posting pics so you can see my progress.  Where abouts are you now?
Thanks for the compliments. 

Thanks,
Jon

creativeguy

May 10, 2006, 06:58 am #28 Last Edit: Jan 30, 2010, 02:09 am by doctoriz
For a while I lived about 20 minutes from Meadville outside of a little town called Linesville. I'm way down in South Carolina now. Please take lots of progress pics :D I wish I could be there in person to help and to learn how to build my own. Which version of the Tardis is this?

Doctor Iz

May 11, 2006, 03:55 pm #29 Last Edit: Jan 30, 2010, 02:09 am by doctoriz
I have definitely herd of Linesville, just never been there!
South Carolina weather is much nicer than up north.
I'll keep posting pics as I go.  I am playing on finishing the corners this weekend if possible.
As far as the what Tardis version goes, I am using Doc Neals plans for demensions and Glen's Tardis Manual.  I believe that Glens Tardis is based more off of season 18 - I think!  I'll check into it and let you know.   So don't hold me to it!  ???