News:

New, New TardisBuilders!

Old police box - new police box

Started by vortexvp, Jun 24, 2008, 10:32 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

vortexvp

Jun 24, 2008, 10:32 pm Last Edit: Jul 06, 2010, 10:44 am by Scarfwearer
Hi all
many moons ago I promised to take a photo of my police box... well what is left of it. It was built for a fan film about 11 years ago and ever since has sat in the back of the garage mouldering away...

Here is a pic

Picture030.jpg

I have recently become involved in another fan movie and dug out the old girl there is an amount of decay as it was built out oh hardboard for speed, cost and ease of transport (weight at least). and well the edges that rested on the ground have got damp at some point and in places rotted.

But I've started work on repairs..... new door under construction
http://i213.photobucket.com/albums/cc41/vortexvp/Picture031.jpg At the momen I'm concentrating on making the main four sides sound and where necessary replacing the panelling.

Anyone who is curious each side is built on a frame and is covered with hardboard. The panelling is more hardboard recessed slightly. Each panel then screws to a larger frame. The rebuild is modifying things slightly in that the sides will bolt onto the frame to speed up assembly and disassembly.

I'm going to have to build a new roof and sign boxes as they got damp and warped out of shape several years ago. I'm also taking time to build some lightweight corner pillars, Originally these were MDF, which not only made the whole thing very heavy but they easily got damaged during transport (splitting along the joints)and again in storage for so long have suffered some damage and would have need significant work.

I did think about starting again from scratch, but my dad helped me build this police box and well he's not here anymore. So the rebuild was the option for me.

THis police box was only ever designed to be a lightweight prop and not one that could grace your garden or patio for any length of time...

avadh

Nov 30, 2008, 11:33 pm #1 Last Edit: Jan 15, 2010, 11:02 pm by scarfwearer
That looks amazing. An amazing tardis build.

vortexvp

Jun 26, 2008, 08:45 pm #2 Last Edit: Jul 06, 2010, 10:31 am by scarfwearer
A quick update for you, remembered to take some pictures this evening as I was working on the old girl...

Have replaced the recess panels and where necessary repaired the bottom edge of the sides, which had got wet, warped and in one case discintergrated whilst being stored.
Picture064.jpg
I've made a new door Phone side, this is now a door which opens, the phone cupboard detail will be added later, but there is no requirement in the fan film for the phone cupboard door to open so at this point it doesn't, maybe later, maybe never we shall see.
Picture065.jpg

And finally got round to making and placing the window frames in situ this eve. They are not secured yet but it is getting there.
Picture067.jpg
Picture066.jpg

Next task is to re build the base, the old one was little more than a large 25mm MDF square, am going to raise it 50mm off the ground annd add a chamfered moulding to the edge. Another day another update. ;)

dalethetimelord

Jun 26, 2008, 10:06 pm #3 Last Edit: Jul 06, 2010, 10:31 am by scarfwearer
that's looking rather lovely, nice to see folk ReBuilding rather than replacing!!

atomicgraph

Jun 27, 2008, 02:31 am #4 Last Edit: Jul 06, 2010, 10:32 am by scarfwearer
awesome thats excatly what she needed a little TLC. looks great !

avadh

Jun 27, 2008, 10:17 am #5 Last Edit: Jul 06, 2010, 10:32 am by scarfwearer
Shaping up very well indeed.

vortexvp

Jun 27, 2008, 08:47 pm #6 Last Edit: Jul 06, 2010, 10:32 am by scarfwearer
Made a little progress this eve, dug out the base, which needed a section replacing... the edge that was on the floor.. the MDF despite being painted has got damp and well exploded.... as mdf does...

Have added 50mm square batons to raise the whole base off the ground... the base has never been so solid... or heavy ;)

A trip to the DIY store is called for tomorrow to get the edge moulding and the wood for the corner pillars. I had intended to get this after work today but alas British summer weather meant it was a "soft day" and as the only way I can carry the timber in my car is to take the roof down, I didn't want to get myself or the upholstery wet... Tomorrows forecast is better. Will post a pic of the base once completed.

Question for those who have built and painted already what colour paint are people using these days? 11 yeasrs ago I used a Dulux colour which was aptly named Merlin, but like all things not available now...

I want a blue which is a dark rich blue, and as I'm going to apply a dirtying wash on completion it need to take that into account.

DoctorWho8

Jun 28, 2008, 03:06 am #7 Last Edit: Jul 06, 2010, 10:32 am by scarfwearer
The popular base color use in the UK is Oxford Blue.  If you look in the newest thread of 2 Week TARDIS, you can see a sample of the color on the box in there.  You can also do a search of the boards to see other people's use and opinions of it.
Bill Rudloff

purpleblancmange

Jun 28, 2008, 08:30 am #8 Last Edit: Jul 06, 2010, 10:32 am by scarfwearer
While Oxford Blue was popular many, many years ago - I wouldn't advise using it as it tends to look very purple / red in certain lights, though of course the choice is yours.

Some years ago, I did a bit of research and the closest colour to the blue as used from the late 70s to 80s was "Wild Water 2" which darkens considerably (as would any colour) when the filth wash goes on.  That said, I've also used "Venetian Crystal 1" and "Venetian Crystal 2" - 1 is darker and is currently what I've used on my build, as has TimeGirl.

anotherwheeze

Jun 28, 2008, 08:40 am #9 Last Edit: Jul 06, 2010, 10:33 am by scarfwearer
Quote from: purpleblancmange on Jun 28, 2008, 08:30 amThat said, I've also used "Venetian Crystal 1" and "Venetian Crystal 2" - 1 is darker and is currently what I've used on my build, as has TimeGirl.

Venetian Crystal 1 is what I used for mine too.

Big thank you to Timegirl for that one as it was agonising trying to decide :)

rizla

Jun 28, 2008, 12:40 pm #10 Last Edit: Jul 06, 2010, 10:33 am by scarfwearer
I mixed my own, for my NST, but it cost a fortune! And a LOT of time. However, the colour is really important to all of us builders, it makes the difference of a really great build and a nearly great build.

vortexvp

Jun 28, 2008, 01:54 pm #11 Last Edit: Jul 06, 2010, 10:34 am by scarfwearer
I picked up the Dulux colour chart including Venetian Crystal 1 this morning whilst atthe DIY superstore...

Well I've finished the base adding a chamfered moulding along the edges, which maked the base very heavy and very sturdy no wobbles here.

As I'd finished the repairs and upgrade  to the base and with the sides finished (except for painting)and I thought why not...
Picture070.jpg

More pics this eve... ;)

vortexvp

Jun 28, 2008, 05:01 pm #12 Last Edit: Jul 06, 2010, 10:35 am by scarfwearer
A couple of hours spare before tonghts episode so some further pics:

The repaired base with added moulding to the edge

http://i213.photobucket.com/albums/cc41/vortexvp/Picture.jpg

To explain you may notice that there is a strip of wood that is screwed to the upper surface of the base (painted blue - well I'm re-using old materials where I can). Rather than have this detail attached to the side panels, on this version it is attached to the base, it made my original construction sturdier to have the side fit up against the strip, and where necessary screw together from behind, but that was never necessary as the fit is very snug.

http://i213.photobucket.com/albums/cc41/vortexvp/Picture071.jpg

A full height shot, well as best I can get my garage is not very big.. I need a Tardis in which to build the Tardis  ;)
http://i213.photobucket.com/albums/cc41/vortexvp/Picture072.jpg
This is currently only three sides as again due to the size of may garage and the positioning of a workbench if I assemble all four sides there is no way to get from one end of the garage to the other, but there is just enough room to paint the assembled sides... ;D

And some shots of the inside.. all held together with two clamps...

Picture073.jpg
Picture074.jpg
Picture075.jpg
Picture076.jpg
You may be able to see the 50mm square uprights which the sides are jointed to these form the main frame to which the whole thing is joined.

Coming soon the corner pillars - which on my build are not integral to the stability or structure... ok a unique way to construct a police box but it works.

rizla

Jun 29, 2008, 11:54 am #13 Last Edit: Jul 06, 2010, 10:35 am by scarfwearer
Cool as.... I know what you mean about photographing the TARDIS, mine I have to walk back a good few metres to get mine in!

vortexvp

Jun 29, 2008, 07:54 pm #14 Last Edit: Jul 06, 2010, 10:36 am by scarfwearer
well another industrious day.. I know the next couple of weeks are not going to be as industrious but am pressing on.. Managed to get the corner pillars made today.

They are hardboard cut to size with a frame made of 50mm x 25mm batons. They are secured to the police box by magnetic cabinet closers... Once the sign boxes are made they will bolt through the pillars for added security.

Picture077.jpg
Picture078.jpg
Picture079.jpg
Picture080.jpg
Picture081.jpg

No roof yet just trying to decide how to build and how many stacks as I am running out of space to work in...

Have also replaced the three layers at the top of each panel (below the sign box) as these were originally made of card they are now wood... The one above the front doors looks a little wonky in the photo will check tomorrow could just be a trick of the photo.