Apr 20, 2024, 02:42 pm

News:

New, New TardisBuilders!

Tara's TARDIS

Started by tardis-tara, Jul 06, 2006, 06:15 am

Previous topic - Next topic

ThisJustinOnline

Jul 31, 2006, 06:39 am #30 Last Edit: Jun 07, 2010, 12:27 am by scarfwearer
Is this about her avatar? Cause I can see that just fine....its tennant with "Did you miss me?"...

Scarfwearer

Jul 31, 2006, 12:03 pm #31 Last Edit: Jun 07, 2010, 12:28 am by scarfwearer
Well, firefox says:

"The image "http://i60.photobucket.com/albums/h36/tia_tarina/10th.jpg" cannot be displayed, because it contains errors."

I think what's going on is that you've saved the image from Mac photoshop and named it as a JPG, when infact it's something else, maybe some Mac photoshop format. You could try getting Photoshop to export the image as a JPG, rather than saving it.
It must be something like that.

Primrodo, are you on a Mac? If you are this may explain why you can see it and most other people can't.

EDIT: This would also explain why it looks fine to Tara and not anyone else...

Crispin

Sorvan

Jul 31, 2006, 02:53 pm #32 Last Edit: Jun 07, 2010, 12:28 am by scarfwearer
Your avatar is using CMYK colour space which isn't recognized by a lot of Windows programs.  I've converted it to RGB for you here:

10th.jpg

Just download that and stick it in your photobucket account.

Colin

ThisJustinOnline

Jul 31, 2006, 03:14 pm #33 Last Edit: Jun 07, 2010, 12:29 am by scarfwearer
Aha that would be why! I am on a PC, but I am a Graphic Designer, so my computer reads CMYK just fine :)

Scarfwearer

Jul 31, 2006, 03:35 pm #34 Last Edit: Jun 07, 2010, 12:29 am by scarfwearer
Wow, I had no idea that jpeg supports multiple colour spaces!
You learn something new every day...

Crispin

dalethetimelord

Aug 01, 2006, 12:00 am #35 Last Edit: Jun 07, 2010, 12:29 am by scarfwearer
Tara - I've had a fiddle, and you now have your avatar, hosted on my phtobucket account.  Enjoy. xx

Dale.

Doctor Iz

Aug 02, 2006, 03:45 am #36 Last Edit: Jun 07, 2010, 12:29 am by scarfwearer
Dale, you're a swell chap indeed!
Your karma continues to grow - well deserved I might add.

Tara - your avatar is very nice. 

Cheers,
Jon
(http://i67.photobucket.com/albums/h310/jonizdo/Logos/DRIZ_rev20080226copy-2.jpg)

tardis-tara

Aug 02, 2006, 05:26 pm #37 Last Edit: Jun 07, 2010, 12:29 am by scarfwearer
Wow.

Very confused here, but thanks to all who helped!

I take it you can all see the avitar now?

I don't have to do anything except save future things in RGB?

Can y'all see the build pics I've posted?  They were saved in the same format as the avatar. . .

*wanders off scratching head*

Doctor Iz

Aug 03, 2006, 05:44 am #38 Last Edit: Jun 07, 2010, 12:30 am by scarfwearer
Tara,

Dale and Colin got your avatar situation resolved.
Dale uploaded the pic (changed file by Colin) to his photobucket account to get your avatar issue fixed.  Nice job lads!
I can see it.  Very nice.
Kudos to Colin and Dale - swell chaps!
Giving out karma is a good thing!

Cheers,
Jon
(http://i67.photobucket.com/albums/h310/jonizdo/Logos/DRIZ_rev20080226copy-2.jpg)

Sorvan

Aug 03, 2006, 06:05 pm #39 Last Edit: Jun 07, 2010, 12:30 am by scarfwearer
Quote from: tara board=build thread=1152166537 post=1154539571I don't have to do anything except save future things in RGB?

I'll try to explain the whole colour space thing (and probably fail, confusing everyone).

If you have a red, a green and a blue light all shining at the same thing the separate lights will combine and create white light.  In old TVs you can see this working, as up close you can see tiny red, green and blue spots which from a distance blur together and look like other colours.  Since our computers also display with light, an efficient way to describe colours is by giving each colour a value of red, green and blue - aka RGB.

Working with ink or paint is different however.  Instead of combining colours to make white, we're combining colours to make black.  Equal combinations of red, green and blue don't make black however.  The colours that do are cyan, magenta and yellow.  If you have a colour printer, these are the colours that the printer uses to combine into all of the colours the printer can print (look at the cartridge(s)).  Unfortunately, it's really hard to mix cyan, magenta and yellow into pure black, so colour printers also have a pure black cartridge in the mix.  These together are CMYK (K standing for blacK).

Computers can usually switch between these two colour formats with no problem so if you send an RGB image to a printer, the printer will automatically convert to CMYK, and if you try to view a CMYK picture on screen, the computer will display it as an RGB picture.  Many programs think that RGB is good enough and  don't know what to do if you give them CMYK images (Internet Explorer being one example).  In truth, images stored in CMYK mode are rarely used by people who aren't involved in graphic arts, so most people never have to worry about it - all their images are in RGB colour space and they never run into a CMYK image.

Now, colour space isn't the same as file format.  You can have a JPEG formatted picture in RGB or CMYK or greyscale, etc.  Since you managed to produce a CMYK image, in your paint program it will have the option to change the "Color Mode" to Black and White, Greyscale, RGB, CMYK, and several others (Image->Mode in Photoshop, Image->Color Mode in Corel Photo Paint).

No, I won't even try to explain Lab colour.  Let's just not go there.

Colin

Doctor Iz

Aug 04, 2006, 03:13 am #40 Last Edit: Jun 07, 2010, 12:30 am by scarfwearer
Colin has been known as the Forum Lumberjack, more recently the Forum Mason (with his basement concrete work) and now the Forum Artist.  A jack of many trades or just metrosexual.  LOL.  ;)
Seriously, nice explaination.  Made sense too me!
And yes, I remember the old tellies with the tiny red, green and blue spots.  I didn't think anyone else noticed.

Jon

mitty

Aug 04, 2006, 04:21 am #41 Last Edit: Jun 07, 2010, 12:30 am by scarfwearer
Great explanation Colin.  I had no idea about this, new it was something to do with colours but never bothered to find out why :)

Sorvan

Aug 04, 2006, 06:04 pm #42 Last Edit: Jun 07, 2010, 12:30 am by scarfwearer
Quote from: driz board=build thread=1152166537 post=1154661193A jack of many trades or just metrosexual.  LOL.  ;)

Metrosexual would imply that I actually give a damn about my appearance which makes me laugh as I go to work in t-shirts and shorts and I haven't shaved in a few days.  I might like to think of myself as a polymath, but fear that I'm more of a know-it-all;D

Colin

Doctor Iz

Aug 05, 2006, 12:51 am #43 Last Edit: Jun 07, 2010, 12:31 am by scarfwearer
Quote from: sorvan board=build thread=1152166537 post=1154714673
Metrosexual would imply that I actually give a damn about my appearance which makes me laugh as I go to work in t-shirts and shorts and I haven't shaved in a few days.  I might like to think of myself as a polymath, but fear that I'm more of a know-it-all;D

Colin

a polymath is someone already in possession of great knowledge.

Few people can genuinely be called a polymath (see List of polymaths). Even fewer can be called a Pantomath (from the Greek "panto" meaning all). A pantomath, is a person whose astonishingly wide interests and knowledge span the entire range of the arts and sciences.  Sounds like you.   Just winding you up!! Joke!

Jon

tardis-tara

Jun 07, 2010, 01:37 am #44 Last Edit: Jun 07, 2010, 01:37 am by tardis-tara
Well, here I am, back again!

I did finish my TARDIS and she's been to Gallifrey One, twice, and Dragon Con once.

I'll try to dig out my old pictures of how we finished the Old Girl.

She's been quite popular, with over a thousand pictures of her out on the net now.

She's been signed (inside) by Colin Baker, Nicola Bryant, Fraizer Hines, Daphne Ashbrook, Yee Jee Tso, John Levine, and others.

If you're in L.A. next February, feel free to stop by and give her a look over.

I'm the one in the hat.  :)

[attachid]TARDIS.jpg[/attachid]