Apr 25, 2024, 12:19 am

News:

New, New TardisBuilders!

the masters tardis

Started by atomicgraph, Feb 03, 2009, 12:57 am

Previous topic - Next topic

atomicgraph

Feb 03, 2009, 12:57 am Last Edit: Feb 14, 2010, 11:23 pm by Scarfwearer
hello everybody, before i jump into my big console room project i thought i might need a little practice. i've always wanted a grandfather clock but the price is a little hard to get past (all at once) so i'm gonna replicate  the masters tardis as it appeared in "the keeper of traken". i  searched the net for images and i only found one. so i pulled out the dvd and took a couple snap shots of it.

hiegthshotvh0.th.jpg

clockhiegthrh3.th.jpg

trakenpart4vv3.th.jpg

themasterstardisyw7.th.jpg

i chose  this version of the grandfather clock because it looks the easiest to reproduce. my plan of attack is to build the case and find a clock with the same look and place it in the opening. now the front of the case looks like it has rounded edges running down the length on both sides the top i'm not to sure about the edges. also the height in one of the images above, the top of the masters head looks like it would hit right around the nine o'clock. this is just the way it looks to me and i know things on screen can look pretty distorted. i guess my starting point would be to get the height of the actor that played the master at the end of the episode. does anyone have any information on this prop or the height of the master ??? i guess a lot of this is gonna be guess work but any information will be greatly appreciated. thanks in advanced

emil

meantimebob

Feb 03, 2009, 02:13 am #1 Last Edit: Feb 14, 2010, 11:21 pm by scarfwearer
ooh, I look forward to seeing how this comes along. This clock is one of my favourite Tardis shapes that the Master had. Good luck with it! :)

atomicgraph

Feb 07, 2009, 02:07 pm #2 Last Edit: Feb 14, 2010, 11:21 pm by scarfwearer
thanks meantime bob, i always liked the clock too.... the older grand father clock was way out of my skill level but this style looks pretty straight forward :)

so i've been doing some searches on the net and i found a couple of prospects for the clock face

domeclockblack2pk2.th.jpg this one looks pretty close, but is from the UK.... and i try not to use credit cards so getting something off the web is probably not gonna be an option.

v1216705adfx6.th.jpg this one looks pretty good too. the numbers are arranged wrong but they are raised which looks correct to the screen shots of the clock. i'll go around today and see what some of the local stores have in stock.

i've also been playing around with the dimensions. i scaled my drawings to fit a 12 inch clock face and the over all height of the clock came out to 5' 8". that has to be two short. then i tried a 15 inch clock face which put the clock at 7'8".... maybe . a 14 inch clock face put the clock at 7'2" again, maybe. at least i kinda have an idea of what kind of clock size i'm looking for now and that is a starting point.

atomicgraph

Feb 09, 2009, 08:01 pm #3 Last Edit: Feb 14, 2010, 11:21 pm by scarfwearer
 finding a clock even close to the one i need is near impossible so i had to make my own. and here is a quick lesson in screen printing to boot  ;D.

first i made my clock face i cut out two 141/2" circles (i made two incase something went wrong while printing) and painted them black.

clockfacesgs6.th.jpg

i then made a template on the computer and printed it out on clear film with the sizes and positions i needed. then i taped the film on a silkscreen coated in emulsion

filmandscreenjj6.th.jpg
the part exposed to light hardens into a plastic while the shadowed areas from the film will wash out with water after being exposed.

preptableoy3.th.jpg

onpresskp5.th.jpg
i lined it up on the press and i was ready to print
printedclockfacesb5.th.jpg
well they turned out pretty good looking to me:)
my numerals are not the exact font but pretty close in hind sight i should have tweaked them  more but i wasn't even sure this was going to work

meantimebob

Feb 09, 2009, 09:26 pm #4 Last Edit: Feb 14, 2010, 11:22 pm by scarfwearer
Wow - you're really racing ahead with this - brilliant!

atomicgraph

Feb 10, 2009, 12:05 pm #5 Last Edit: Feb 14, 2010, 11:22 pm by scarfwearer
thanks again meantime, i fear my progress will slow to a crawl. i probabbly won't get a chance to do anything else this week but last night i was able to get my measurements figured out

mailjd8.th.jpg

if anyone sees anything in the measurements that doesn't look right please let me know

dalethetimelord

Feb 10, 2009, 07:54 pm #6 Last Edit: Feb 14, 2010, 11:22 pm by scarfwearer
What a wonderful project!  I've been thinking about the Rani's TARDIS from Mark of... recently, but very nice idea, a wonderful aside from the old blue box!

atomicgraph

Feb 10, 2009, 11:36 pm #7 Last Edit: Feb 14, 2010, 11:22 pm by scarfwearer
 hey thanks dale, there is no substitute for the "old blue box" though. this tardis is a lot more compact and will be easier to manage ;) plus it tells time aside form just traveling through it  ;D

meantimebob

Feb 11, 2009, 04:05 pm #8 Last Edit: Feb 14, 2010, 11:23 pm by scarfwearer
I actually really like the computer bank that the Master's Tardis was disguised as during The Time Monster. If I had room, that would be a really nice retro "objet" to have and it could easily double as a big cupboard or wardrobe.

willytron

Sep 22, 2009, 02:49 am #9 Last Edit: Feb 14, 2010, 11:23 pm by scarfwearer
This is great. 

type55tardis

Jun 11, 2010, 08:28 am #10 Last Edit: Jun 14, 2010, 12:23 pm by type55tardis
Great Idea,
Nice to see someone else using their imagination ,all the other Tardis`s seem to be ignored but they are part of who history I`,m thinking of building the stone altar used by the monk and it will be a bit less cumbersome than the undisguised shell,or maybe just get an old fashioned cupboard as the Rani`s Tardis was disguised.
I think the idea of building the computer cabinet from the time monster would be great!!
After all this is The Tardis Builders site not the Police Box Builders site and if there had been more money about when Doctor who first appeared on our screens the Tardis would not have been stuck in the shape of a police box .
so let me get this straight,A thing that looks like a Police box standing in a junkyard,It can move anywhere in Time and space ?