Apr 19, 2024, 06:29 am

News:

New, New TardisBuilders!

GEMINITIMELORD's TARDIS

Started by geminitimelord, Aug 04, 2008, 03:30 am

Previous topic - Next topic

geminitimelord

Oct 18, 2009, 02:13 am #120 Last Edit: Mar 02, 2010, 12:19 am by scarfwearer
Quote from: emil on Oct 17, 2009, 01:53 pmlooks great scott! how did you make your st. johns ambulance badge, they turned out great. your build looks like it just barley fits in you room, funny how big these builds really are.

Somewhere on TR2 I got a .PDF of the St John Badge. The size was pretty blown up so I went to a copy shop and had them shrink it down to about 5 inches diameter. I made 2 colour copies even though it is black and white. Colour Copies make better richer looking black. Then I carefully cut out the badge and placed in a laminating sheet. I plan on carefully cutting out my laminated copy leaving about 1/8th inch rim of laminate. I will then glue the badge to the TARDIS DOOR and I plan on using some clear coat to help cover it. Also contemplating using a router to carve out a 1/16th depth spot so the badge has a place to rest.

OOPS almost forgot. Yes I am running out of room. 9ft ceilings by my calculation I will get the roof on but no Lamp.

Doctor Iz

Oct 23, 2009, 02:29 am #121 Last Edit: Mar 02, 2010, 12:19 am by scarfwearer
Scott,

Now those sign boxes are quite nice in deed.  They can be trick buggers.  The 1/4" square wood stock works out pretty well eh?  Glad to see your on the move.  Pretty soon will be the 'blue' paint moment...aaahhhh... such good memories! 

Been busy working with all the H1N1 flu stuff.  It has hit our area hard.  Just not enough time in a day to see all these people and most of them if they are healthy otherwise, should stay at home for containment reasons.  I hope your well. 

Cheers,
Jon
(http://i67.photobucket.com/albums/h310/jonizdo/Logos/DRIZ_rev20080226copy-2.jpg)

geminitimelord

Oct 28, 2009, 03:14 am #122 Last Edit: Mar 02, 2010, 12:31 am by Scarfwearer
UPDATE 10/27/2009

At this stage of development I see that there are lots and lots and lots of little details that seem to take lots and lots of time. For example these Blasted Sign boxes. To keep the light from squeeking out you end up making well a box LOL.

Another thing I noticed, much to my dismay, is that now as I measure my roof I see where what I thought was a carefully calculated and square build only to discover my roof isnt square. About 1/2 inch off on one side. I also discovered that my corner posts ( built to the specs of Glenn's manual) are not even on one side. Mainly due to the fact that my wood thickness used isnt a true inch. Therefore one side is about 1/4 inch off. Now I could have resolved this better if I would have turned the corner posts so the front and backs were equal and the sides were equal. d**n DAMN d**n. Now I see it, too late. So one side of the TARDIS is 1/4 narrower than the other on the corner post. Sure who will notice? probably nobody but I certainly do!

Now I understand how DR IZ felt when his roof wasnt square. Very frustrated with all the care I took to get it right.

Again I cannot possibly declare how much respect I have for those who can build cabinets and such. What talent they honestly have.

Ok enough crying here are updated photos.
This is a nice shot catching 2 sides of the panels all lit up. She is looking mean now.
IMG00286.jpg

Followed with a nice front shot (Ladder included)
I still have some plugs to make for the sign boxes.
IMG00287.jpg

Here is a close up shot of the Sign box sides.
IMG00289.jpg

Finally an interior shot for those curious how I constructed the sign boxes from the rear.
IMG00290.jpg

I hope to have the roof and windows complete by Friday.

Doctor Iz

Oct 28, 2009, 03:17 am #123 Last Edit: Mar 02, 2010, 12:21 am by scarfwearer
Scott,

Wow, that looks incredible.  I like the fluorescent that you used.  Great idea, boy they look familiar... ;)

I can't wait to see your roof completed and the TARDIS primed and painted... Oh what a feeling!!!

Keep us posted!

Cheers,
Jon
(http://i67.photobucket.com/albums/h310/jonizdo/Logos/DRIZ_rev20080226copy-2.jpg)

Dematerialiser

Oct 28, 2009, 08:44 am #124 Last Edit: Mar 02, 2010, 12:21 am by scarfwearer
Great progress Scott!

Don't worry too much about things being a little off - despite measuring six thousand times, by the time I fitted my roof it was too big on one corner and had to take a hammer and chisel to it and use brute force! The best laid plans eh...
When it's all blue you won't even notice :-)

cheers
Chris

geminitimelord

Oct 28, 2009, 06:15 pm #125 Last Edit: Mar 02, 2010, 12:21 am by scarfwearer
Quote from: doctoriz on Oct 28, 2009, 03:17 amScott,

Wow, that looks incredible.  I like the fluorescent that you used.  Great idea, boy they look familiar... ;)

Yes, well I tried to go with a 21 inch under cabinet for $12 and I didnt like the light. also I was going to have cords running to a center point.  I caved and went your route but YOU WERE NOT KIDDING ABOUT THE PRICE!! Price of one was price of all 4 of the other. But worth it.

avadh

Oct 29, 2009, 08:40 pm #126 Last Edit: Mar 02, 2010, 12:22 am by scarfwearer
Scott your tardis build looks really wonderful I cant wait to see more progress as you go along.

atomicgraph

Oct 29, 2009, 09:26 pm #127 Last Edit: Mar 02, 2010, 12:22 am by scarfwearer
man she looks great, i say keep the brachacki just because of what you said about most builds being hybrids or nst's it'll give the place a little flavor ;)

geminitimelord

Oct 30, 2009, 03:22 am #128 Last Edit: Mar 02, 2010, 12:23 am by scarfwearer
Thanks for the encouragement Avadh

Quote from: emil on Oct 29, 2009, 09:26 pmman she looks great, i say keep the brachacki just because of what you said about most builds being hybrids or nst's it'll give the place a little flavor ;)

Yes Emil, I agree Brachacki it is.

geminitimelord

Oct 31, 2009, 06:27 am #129 Last Edit: Mar 02, 2010, 12:31 am by Scarfwearer
Update 10/31/09

Well I originally hoped today would be the day the Paint was dry and she was moving to the YARD. I feel as though I spend so much time on this project and yet I cringe at the mistakes. Again I cannot express my respect for people that build cabinets and such with wood. They are much better people than I am for sure.

This is a shot of my basement workshop. One of the best things I did in this project was purchase a Table Saw. I discovered the angle slider doing the roof. that was handy!
IMG00299.jpg

This is the center of my roof. Second best thing in the build the Pneumatic Braid Nailer, what a time saver!! I can nail it in place and then follow with a few screws for added strength. OVERBUILDING AT ITS BEST!
IMG00300.jpg

Here you can see the complete roof skeleton. I had a test piece so I could keep straight what side the angles needed to be on.
I also did some research and discovered Scarfwearer's Trigonometry lesson (funny I took Trigonometry and I forgot all about this stuff LOL) the ASIN equation. That gave me the Degree of incline for the roof once I figured out how to use that I set the table saw to 9 degree in my case and I was cutting wood.
Also 3rd best thing for the build the CLAMPS.
IMG00301.jpg

And the final roof.
IMG00302.jpg
Now on the roof I measured 6 times, and measured again cut with the precision as if I were cutting into a Nuclear Warhead and still I had a few gaps in the roof.

Here is the roof in place on the TARDIS
IMG00304.jpg

Once I got the roof in place I discovered that my TARDIS was not square at the top. Off by an inch VERY FRUSTRATING. Oh well I guess I will have to make a shim and get it to work as best I can.

IMG00305.jpg

Well that is all for now. I start a new Job on Monday, finally after 9 months of Unemployment. Not that I am complaining, I was actually getting pretty good at Unemployment.

My lovely companion, Linda, has requested that I get the TARDIS completed by Thanksgiving so we can reclaim the Dining room for the family dinner. I guess I will be working Nights and weekends with the goal of completion Mid November!

Dematerialiser

Oct 31, 2009, 08:31 am #130 Last Edit: Mar 02, 2010, 12:24 am by scarfwearer
Looking great Scott! That roof looks like nice work too - I had the same experience of measuring and measuring again only to have things go astray - in the end you won't mind at all.

Good luck in your new job!

cheers
Chris

Scarfwearer

Oct 31, 2009, 01:21 pm #131 Last Edit: Mar 02, 2010, 12:24 am by scarfwearer
Glad to see the box coming together, and it certainly sounds as if things are looking up generally.
A table saw and mitre saw are my favourite tools these days (after the tape measure and cordless drill). A brad nailer is going on my xmas list. I've never quite got serious enough to invest in air tools. I've rented a butane powered nailer for framing, but it looks like there are some 18V nailers available that look possible...

It's nice to see a Hartnell style box for a change - the only other full-sized one I can think of is Karsten's.
I'm looking forward to seeing further progress.

Crispin

geminitimelord

Oct 31, 2009, 02:51 pm #132 Last Edit: Mar 02, 2010, 12:25 am by scarfwearer
Quote from: scarfwearer on Oct 31, 2009, 01:21 pmGlad to see the box coming together, and it certainly sounds as if things are looking up generally.
A table saw and mitre saw are my favourite tools these days (after the tape measure and cordless drill). A brad nailer is going on my xmas list. I've never quite got serious enough to invest in air tools. I've rented a butane powered nailer for framing, but it looks like there are some 18V nailers available that look possible...

It's nice to see a Hartnell style box for a change - the only other full-sized one I can think of is Karsten's.
I'm looking forward to seeing further progress.

Crispin

Thanks! The Brad Nailer was pretty cheap to do I have a very small 100psi compressor that was about $60 It works just fine. I agree about the Cordless Drill that would be up there! And dont forget the Square!!

Brachacki Box with a few slight mods. I just cannot put my lock on the left side. and I got those nice brass handles from KB so I guess it wont be a True to detail Brachacki but close enough?

geminitimelord

Nov 01, 2009, 12:54 pm #133 Last Edit: Mar 02, 2010, 12:32 am by Scarfwearer
Well I apologize but I just couldn't resist posting these photos. Since the Major portion of construction is done with only some minor cosmetic things to be completed I decided to clean up the Dining room and move the box into the corner so normal life can be somewhat restored in the house.

I got some great photos of the TARDIS with the daylight. I am very excited to get the blue paint on her.

The telly has the Dish Earth channel on. Music channel with live feed from a camera mounted on the Dish Network Satellite.
IMG00309.jpg
IMG00311.jpg

This is a close shot of the roof. Note the front sign box has a scrap piece of wood I forgot to remove. Also the far right sign post cap is just a temp. I was contemplating having shorter caps but decided to be more true to the original Brachacki design.

IMG00312.jpg

Doctor Iz

Nov 02, 2009, 04:40 am #134 Last Edit: Mar 02, 2010, 12:26 am by scarfwearer
Scott,

Incredibly lovely workmanship there!  You are almost to the finish line and I can say, I am quite proud of the work you have done there.  The next step is window frames and then primer... Then the magical moment of the 'blue paint'...  ;) ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

We all know that wonderful feeling!  Keep up the momentum, your almost there and keep the photos coming!

Cheers,
Jon