Apr 25, 2024, 02:15 pm

News:

New, New TardisBuilders!

GEMINITIMELORD's TARDIS

Started by geminitimelord, Aug 04, 2008, 03:30 am

Previous topic - Next topic

DoctorWho8

Scott, I noticed the sides of your sign boxes are showing exposed wood.  Might want to fill those up too.
Bill "the Doctor" Rudloff

geminitimelord

Quote from: DoctorWho8 on Jul 07, 2010, 02:06 am
Scott, I noticed the sides of your sign boxes are showing exposed wood.  Might want to fill those up too.

That is the slot to slide the Signs out of the boxes. I am filling them with Latex Caulk and painting over them I just was waiting til the end to do so. they were not painted as I didnt want anything to restrict the sliding of the signs but yes they will be sealed.

geminitimelord

Jul 07, 2010, 04:41 pm #257 Last Edit: Jul 07, 2010, 04:43 pm by geminitimelord
Sorry I couldnt resist this but I cannot help but be reminded from the Waters of Mars.... WATER ALWAYS WINS! Aint that the TRUTH....DOCTOR

No pictures today, still have Rain attacking my Box! Forcast calls for clear skies and less humid conditions after tomorrow morning. I will be glad as I can see where the leaks are and I hope I can get them plugged up for good and put another coat of paint over the fixes.

One thing I encountered today that I will share for those building a box that will be outdoors. The walls of my build are connected at two points one about a foot from the top of the wall on both sides and about a foot from the bottom on both sides. I started these attachments by going fancy at first and using Window Latches with the intent that my box was going to be easy to disassemble. Unfortunately cheap window latches are no match for the weight of these walls. I then moved to some regular bolt latches but they do not apply the pressure needed to keep the walls firmly against the corner posts. So finally I bought some Metal Strips that have pre drilled pilot holes. One Strip bridges the crack between the wall and the corner post. Two screws pull that wall tight.

The issue is that in the 5 or so feet between these connections I noticed the wall is starting to bow and pull away from the corner post. I put a good bead of caulk on the ouside edge but this morning I saw a crack in the caulk and the sun was shining thru into the box. When I am complete I plan on some detail photos of my box interior but for now I will say you need to have multiple points of contact up and down the wall to keep the stability of the wall against the corner posts if you want to maintain a water tight seal. Also DO NOT USE WOOD PUTTY for any JOINS. So far the Putty covering the Nail and screw holes is fine but where the cladding joins I am getting a bubble in the paint as the putty expands into a wet chalk. Again simple to scrape off, apply Latex Caulk and then Paint but had I know before I could have saved myself effort and Pain.

With Sunny Skies forcast for this week I hope to have some good Hi Res photos of her completely done and in the Gallery for all to enjoy. On another note I did get the Yale Lock and all the Handles installed!

deck5

Quote from: geminitimelord on Jul 07, 2010, 04:41 pm
Also DO NOT USE WOOD PUTTY for any JOINS.

The one-part putty is likely to fail that way.  Two-part epoxy putty would be a much better choice for anything that might get wet; it's very stable.  QuikWood is one such, comes in a stick.

mordrogyn

MIGHTY PUTTY!

you get 3 sticks of the stuff for $10 and it goes a long way, I've used it for all kinds of jobs and it sets fairly quickly, though don't kneed more than you need (did you see what i did there) at any one time, it starts to harden in 5 minutes.
(http://i50.tinypic.com/20kan9v.jpg)

geminitimelord

Yes unfortunate but the weather situation today called for a quick and drastic measure to protect her from any more water leaking over the Sign Box.

IMG00171.jpg

The major downpour was so heavy and so fast it turned my street into a small lake. Fortunately my house sits about 5 feet above the street level.

IMG00172.jpg

geminitimelord

Finally I got a few good days of good weather so I could get the Joins and cracks caulked good. The box has been painted again and all the attachments have been added. So here she is.....

DSCF2890.jpg

I am going to post some good Hi Res photos in the Gallery. I also plan to continue Updates on this thread where I will show the interior as I get it painted and Modifications.

mordrogyn

Is it the sun that makes it appear lighter than before?
(http://i50.tinypic.com/20kan9v.jpg)

DoctorWho8

I remember it being asked about the color of the Hartnell TARDIS.  While I can't find (nor would there be) ones from the original Pilot, this one from Marco Polo (I think) shows the color very well.
william20hartnell20doct.jpg

geminitimelord

Yes the Sun does have that effect. It is the same colour. Also these photos are with a 5.1 megapixel vs my Blackberry camera. Higher definition.

DoctorWho8

Hartnell is TARDIS Stealing again!
stardis.jpg

geminitimelord

LOL, BILL I LOVE IT......

DoctorWho8

If you ever decide to go with a darker blue, now you have a guide to go from.

geminitimelord

Quote from: DoctorWho8 on Jul 15, 2010, 03:48 am
If you ever decide to go with a darker blue, now you have a guide to go from.

You know its funny I was just thinking that looking at the photo. I wonder what Colour that is? I like it alot it makes me have second thoughts. Unfortunately it would be alot of work to make any changes since I clear silicone sealed the windows. Would involve lots of prep to protect but still a thought for down the road.

The colour isnt really that bright, only in the sun.

geminitimelord

Aug 23, 2010, 12:22 pm #269 Last Edit: Aug 23, 2010, 12:26 pm by geminitimelord
Go to http://qconline.com/archives/qco/display.php?id=506995 to see it! (FYI this will only be available ONLINE for 7 Days from Today)
They mention tardisbuilders.com in the article :)

print-logo.gif
    Posted Online: Aug. 23, 2010, 12:00 am
TARDIS in the yard: Moline man channels Dr. Who
By Seth Kabala, seth@sethkabala.com

drwho.jpg
Photo: Seth Kabala
Scott DeBruyckere, ready to go anywhere any time in his trusty TARDIS (time and relative dimensions in space) police box.
Standard issue backyards usually come with lawns, grills and maybe some patio furniture, but for one Moline man, a backyard comes with a chance for time and space travel.

Or at least the thought of it.

Scott DeBruyckere, 43, brought an iconic television image to life by building a TARDIS (time and relative dimensions in space) from the 1963 BBC show "Dr. Who" in his back yard. His love of the original and modern 2005 versions of the show inspired the project.

"I've been a fan of the show Dr. Who since I was a teenager," he said. While a lot of kids his age were into Star Wars and Star Trek, he chose universe-travelling-via-time-machine and Dr. Who.

In the show, Dr. Who could use the TARDIS to travel to any time or place, but to the outside world, the blue structure was known by another name: a British Metropolitan Police Box.

"Back in the 1950s, 1940s, in London before they had police cars and two-way radios, this would be like the sub-station for the police." He said. "They would have this on the different street corners.... You could actually phone and get them to dispatch a police officer for help." In addition, officers could use the police box to store supplies or temporarily lock-up prisoners.

Though Dr. Who's time machine occasionally took other forms, blending into the environment to match its surroundings, it mostly stayed a police box, because "the ability for this particular time-machine to change its form was broken," Mr. DeBruyckere said. "So it's always a police box. It got stuck as a police box. That's just kind of been the iconic thing of the show," he said.

Though he'd never attempted a woodworking project of this magnitude before, Mr. DeBruyckere found everything he needed to know online. "There was a website called tardisbuilders.com," he said. "That website has people who have built these boxes across the world." He used it as a resource to learn how to do the sign boxes, corner posts and other features of the box.

The plans he found came with a set of rough dimensions but little else. "I just kind of went from there," he said. "I just used the information I had from other people (who had built) these things and what they'd done that was successful and kind of combined that with my plans."

"I had to self-teach myself fine woodworking," he said. "I'm here to say I have all the respect in the world, after going through this, for people who work with wood and can do perfect cuts." Aligning all the different parts to be plumb and square was a challenge, he said.

When his lack of previous woodworking experience created problems, Mr. DeBruyckere tapped his network of friends from across the U.S. and England for help. "There was a point where I would be on the web talking to people and saying, 'Hey, I got to this point. How did you resolve this issue?' And I got three different ideas on how I could tackle the problem."

Mr. DeBruyckere worked an average of one or two days a month for two years from start to finish. "It was pretty much a weekend-type build," he said, adding that detail work, such as hand-crafting the window panes, took the most time.

He built most of it in his garage, and finished a lot of the detail work in his kitchen.

The hours were long and the cost was high, so given the chance would he do this again? "Yes," he said. "It was a fun project."

He likened his decision to Star Wars fans building replica Millennium Falcons, Back to the Future fans DeLoreans and muscle car enthusiasts 57 Chevys from stock parts. "Why would people do that? Well, that's what they want to do," he said.

Mr. DeBruyckere has been happy to show off his finished product to others, but made it clear he built the police box because he wanted to both challenge himself and honor the show. "I put my creation in my backyard where I can enjoy it," he said. "If I was doing it so the neighbors would come by and say something, I'd have it sitting out in front of the house where everyone in the world could see it. It's hidden back behind my garden because it's mine."