Every angle you could ever want to see of the current set... on Google Maps!

Started by too_many_cars, Aug 13, 2013, 05:20 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

too_many_cars

A really fun look inside the current TARDIS set, thanks to Google Maps:

http://jalopnik.com/google-maps-has-an-incredible-dr-who-easter-egg-1121878011?utm_campaign=socialflow_jalopnik_facebook&utm_source=jalopnik_facebook&utm_medium=socialflow

Double-click on the police box to enter, then walk around.  There's some amazing high-res shots of the roundels, the controls, and you can even make out scuffs on the pipe insulation entry-way...

--Brian

DoctorWho8

davidnagel

Regards
David

Senseidale

Google maps must have a Dr Who fan in charge of mapping want to shake his hand
its great.
"In 900 years of time and space, I've never met anyone who wasn't important"

Volpone

Quote from: too_many_cars on Aug 13, 2013, 05:20 pm
A really fun look inside the current TARDIS set, thanks to Google Maps:

Double-click on the police box to enter, then walk around.  There's some amazing high-res shots of the roundels, the controls, and you can even make out scuffs on the pipe insulation entry-way...

--Brian

Whoops, you beat me to it.  It is pretty cool, isn't it?
"My dear Litefoot, I've got a lantern and a pair of waders, and possibly the most fearsome piece of hand artillery in all England. What could possibly go wrong?"
-The Doctor.

DoctorWho8

Face the front doors, look up and zoom in on the piping by the B in Box. ;)
Bill "the Doctor" Rudloff

galacticprobe

Some details I spotted were on the walls.
WallDetail(LowerLevel).jpg
Lower levels: The easy ones; blue-painted corrugated piping cradling/straddling what appears to be cool-white LED rope light strings (with some corrugation to the rope covering, possibly more clear wire looming covering the rope lights).

Then there is that wall detail:
Grey walls, with some weathering;
Raised, tan hexagons (almost looks like bare or clear-coated particle board) with that blue and white speckled inlay. Notice the hexagon's left point; this is where the short horizontal "runner" met with one of the wall buttresses. See how the speckled inlay ends in a "flat" edge, not a point as one would expect on an "end" piece.

Now the Catwalk Level...
WallDetail(CatwalkLevel).jpg
Aside from the obvious (no corrugated piping or rope lights, or hexagons), the wall color is about the same but the raised detail is more complex. The raised tan "particle board" detail is also there again, but this time the blue and white speckled detail is raised on top of the tan part, and not an inlay. Also notice that where the speckled detail runs vertically down to where it angles to the right of the image, after that corner where the vertical section ends, the top of the speckled trim is painted to match the tan part, making it look like an inlay. (A closer look at it and you can see that it's painted, and not "sunken" into the tan part.)

That speckled part looks like it would be "relatively" easy to recreate with a splatter-paint technique sprinkling white/light blue paint, or by dry-brush dabbing it, over the "TARDIS" blue paint (possibly while the blue is still wet). This same paint effect is used on the wall buttresses. (When my wife saw this she was thrilled because the new countertop she chose for the repaired kitchen - which is still in an unholy wreck - has almost the same blue and white speckling as this. I knew she was super intelligent!)

Anyway, I wasn't sure where to post these, but I figured since we're still in the "general set detail" part of the discussion this would be a good place to start. I hope this info helps people who are thinking of redecorating a hallway or basement room.

Dino.
"What's wrong with being childish?! I like being childish." -3rd Doctor, "Terror of the Autons"

rob49152

I like that you can right click on the image and have it be displayed in 3D.

Now 4D would have been cooler.

expendable

When I took this picture, I noticed there was a another door tucked beside the main door.

2013_Console_From_Catwalk_1_zps9102ab61.jpg

2013_Console_From_Catwalk_2_zps43631880.jpg

Where do these lead, one wondering.

Rassilons Rod

The shape on the gantry just to the right of the time column also indicates another door.
In the cities in the streets there's a tension you can feel,
The breaking strain is fast approaching, guns and riots.
Politicians gamble and lie to save their skins,
And the press get fed the scapegoats,
Public Enema Number One.

Kingpin

There's a door like that on both sides of the Police Box doors.  So far I don't recall seeing Matt actually walking through them (and I wonder if they're even designed to open at all).

expendable

There's an arched grill on either side of the real world interface - ventilation or an access panel - maybe both. Then there's that door in the outer wall on either side. Makes you curious.

kiwidoc

You can use the Google view to go right up to those 'doors.'  There is one visible in the wall but there is actually another on the side of the TARDIS entrance too (ie at 90 degrees to the one you can see).  Interestingly, they are not well finished since they're designed to be background dressing for TV -  there are still pencil lines from where they were planning to cut the panels out and the silver mesh used to convey metal is a bit askew... Love it!

Mark

Somebody has broken a piece. The panel nearest the door has a bit of edging strip loose from around a set of controls. Vandals!

expendable

Quote from: kiwidoc on Aug 15, 2013, 07:39 amInterestingly, they are not well finished since they're designed to be background dressing for TV -  there are still pencil lines from where they were planning to cut the panels out and the silver mesh used to convey metal is a bit askew... Love it!

The false doors and grill give an excuse for a catwalk. What I think is great about it is the suggestion that there is a whole ship around the real world interface, so 'where' it is doesn't matter.