Apr 18, 2024, 11:56 am

News:

New, New TardisBuilders!

time rotor's TARDIS

Started by timerotor, Oct 02, 2009, 04:27 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

maverickjsmith

Very nice ;D

I feel like Peter Davison is going to pop out in some of those shots and do his little look-right-look-left :D

Bravo, indeed, bravo.

Maverick
Maverick

timerotor

Sep 11, 2011, 08:11 pm #16 Last Edit: Sep 11, 2011, 08:33 pm by timerotor
HI Guys!
I have had a really nice day today, I had a special visit from one of the coolest members on here who wanted to come and see My TYJ replica for him self with his own eyes! (I'll leave it to him to say, incase he wants to remain a secret for now, he may want to post, himself.)  ;)
Anyway, I was quite interested in his comments on how the colour seems to change with different lighting conditions. I have mentioned this before briefly - but payed no attention to it...
I always take pictures in the day light when its reasonably bright, so it looks quite light, but in the flesh he commented today that it is actually quite dark and thought it looked a little like the Tardis in 'Caves Of Androzani' (which, personally I take as a huge compliment!) Cheers matey! ;D

We also spoke about how some people have taken pictures of the real TYJ Tardis on display at DWE and it looks almost bright baby blue! This is of course due to flash photography and as I painted it with the same paint as mine, and used exactly the same techniques as on mine - logically it should look exactly like mine.
After my friend had left it clouded over and I noticed (for instance) that when it was cloudy and dull it does change colour (or seem to) and I took a picture of it - and was happy to see that it looks considerably darker than usual. see the two pictures below (NO photoshop or colour editing has been done)
P1050260.jpgP1050074.jpg
So as you can see - there's quite a difference in the two colours. Now before anyone tells me 'Mark its darker when the sun goes in and so is everything in the world'... LOL   ... I'm wondering and thinking about how this would have effected the appearance of the Tardis in the show! - due to location shoots and studio shoots - surely the same changes of colour must apply...
because in early season 18 it seemed to be quite dark (full circle) (Meglos) but then in Warrior's gate it looked lighter, the latter having been filmed in a brightly lit studio. I have often thought that it must have been totally repainted in the latter story, but now I think it could just be a trick of the light! Hmmmmm.....

I'm seriously hoping that the real TYJ is the same tone as mine, but having never seen it in broad daylight I have yet to find out (there's something to look forward to! - 'the move')
and just a few more pics cos I don't think I ever photographed the back - which has a subtle difference to the rest of it, PLUS I've changed something on the front and I want to see who has the eagle eyes and can spot the differences! one on the back and one on the front... Ha! - such fun!!!

P1050282.jpgP1050258.jpg

anyway TTFN,
all the best
MBH timerotor :)
living, learning, loving, refurbing, & preserving!

Kingpin

I can't detect what's different about the back, but on the front you've either replaced the Yale lock, or removed the paint.

It's a fantastic build, and looks exactly like what it's supposed to be replicating (which isn't a huge surprise).

timerotor

That's really funny!!!  :D
& yes I took the paint off the Yale lock, but that wasn't what I meant!
Oh dear, two things on the front LOL well spotted!
Okay, the back has thick frames on the signs - not that clear actully, but have another go at the front!
Or not, I've actually added something  :)

DoctorWho8

There appears to be a notch for the center divider on the doors in the third horizontal slat under the sign box.
Bill "the Doctor" Rudloff

timerotor

Well spotted, in fact its a new FORTH step (like in the Tom Baker era) two parts either side of the door divider! nice.

the only problem with it s that it makes it clear how the supporting blocks underneath the left of the structure have slowly been sinking into the soil as the left hand door is now completely off-line and looks wonkier. but I did say that its the wonky Tardis!

I love it! adds to the intricate architectural design and enhances the feel.
P1050290-1.jpg

You have a good eye for detail sir!
MBH :D

watcher

This box is just beautiful, i could look at it all day  :)
And is DOES look just like the TARDIS at the end of "Caves of Androzani"  :D

rustymetaldog

Absolutely gorgeous job, as expected. You've raised the bar far too high now, how on earth can you make it any better???!!!

Nice one :) I want it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Build high for happiness :)

type40

Oct 28, 2011, 08:34 pm #23 Last Edit: Oct 28, 2011, 08:35 pm by type40
:o    PHWOAR!!   What a perfect replica you have built and painted.  I take my hat off to you timerotor. Utterly fantastic!  Best TYJ box I've seen.

policeboxnut

It's the best out there, and the work you did to the actual TY-J must be applauded too; brought a real lump to the throat when I saw the old girl restored to her former glory. Let's hope she stays that way.
'It's only significant if you find significance insignificant' - Slipback

timerotor

Feb 26, 2013, 07:45 pm #25 Last Edit: Feb 26, 2013, 08:41 pm by timerotor
Well after reading through this thread today looking for clues of measurements,
I thought a quick update was due.
It has been in situ, where I first constructed it for over two years now! doesn't time fly!

I thought I would pop a few pictures on here I took two weeks ago, I have to re-waterproof the roof it seems once a year. it's not major work, but it needs to be done.
I added wood to the roof to boost the roof stacks and the water gets in and expands it, then the frost gets in and contracts it, and before you know it its falling apart.
So I sanded it back, made sure it was dry, then re-filled it with outdoor polyfiller, and painted it, and waterproofed it.
so there! 2013 roof fixture. TYJ TARDIS MBH.jpgget-attachment.aspx.jpeg

superrichi1a

Can I just say, Mark, what an abseloute pleasure it is to see this build ;) There have been many incredible replicas over the years, too many to mention (PMC's springs to my mind here as happily his build has popped up again recently) but I have to say your's is my personal favourite. A joy to look at. Spitting image of the prop and parked in a very scenic place to boot. Please keep on adding more pictures! :D
Isn't it how ironic that we have to think of solutions out of the box, in order to build our boxes a lot of the time?

Rassilons Rod

It is rather superb! The paint job makes it look so authentic :)
In the cities in the streets there's a tension you can feel,
The breaking strain is fast approaching, guns and riots.
Politicians gamble and lie to save their skins,
And the press get fed the scapegoats,
Public Enema Number One.

timerotor

Thanks you guys!

I'm just lucky I guess, first I took a risk, bought the 'crap box' - then got time to research experiment, and then landed the actual job - which meant I was able to persuade Mum and Dad that it was for a paying job - otherwise they wouldn't have let me do it, because they want me to concentrate on 'real life' and not escapism!  ;)

Then my Nieces now love it so much that they won't allow 'Grandad' to move it as it's "Uncle Mark's LIght house with the mechanical dog inside" children make it truly magical , especially last month , when the snow came & I reverted to a little child! LOL
P1060579.JPGP1060594.JPG

timerotor

Quote from: superrichi1a on Feb 26, 2013, 08:04 pm
Can I just say, Mark, what an abseloute pleasure it is to see this build ;) There have been many incredible replicas over the years, too many to mention (PMC's springs to my mind here as happily his build has popped up again recently)

am I missing something PMC's - who is this PMC? enlighten me ;-) I'd like to see his thread...
MBH  :D