New, New TardisBuilders!

time rotor's TARDIS

Started by timerotor, Oct 02, 2009, 04:27 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

timerotor

Oct 02, 2009, 04:27 pm Last Edit: Feb 26, 2013, 08:53 pm by timerotor
mytardis2009.jpg
Hi Guy's its been a while...
I have been so so busy with real life issues, jobs, deaths, births and relationships etc, that I forgot about the really important thing in life - ME! I WANT A TARDIS TOO!!!!
so I didn't make this one (don't judge, or throw rotten tomatoes) I would've given it a go - but I have nowhere to do these tardisy things anymore - so couldn't.
I did however find a copy of the BBC's Tom Yardly Jones ( season 18) Tardis and drove all the way from London to Southport, and as soon as I saw it, I knew it was the ONE fro ME! - And I have waited years and years to find a box with my name on it!
Many years ago - when we were the Tardis buiders guild on MSN I posted that I had found an original police box beacon in an old shop  in London (which has now gone), well My last post was that I have the perfect lamp, but nothing to go under it! You can imagine how delighted I am now to have found my dream box.
Its fibre glass with metal and some wood ( just like the real thing) and still needs alot of work to it to bring it upto my high standards(THERE ARE A FEW MINOR THINGS A MIS).
I would like it to look grubby and battered like it did in the show - but not damaged (like the prop is now)_186737_tardis_in_woods150.jpg
its gonna take me alot of time but I will do it and as I do, I will be sure to share it with you guy's!
now all I have to do is buy a house with a garden and blind neighbours, then I can really enjouy it! ;D
all the best my fellow gallifreans.
Mmytardis2009-1.jpg
lamp.jpg
mytardis2009-2.jpg
P1010426-1.jpg
No message is associated with this attachment.
P1050076.jpg
living, learning, loving, refurbing, & preserving!

Scarfwearer

Oct 07, 2009, 05:31 pm #1 Last Edit: Jan 14, 2010, 12:46 pm by scarfwearer
Looks great! For dutch courage, check out Mantamatt's TARDIS mod, and also the first half of that story from the archives: Manta-matt's changing TARDIS.

Crispin

TG

Oct 03, 2009, 10:36 am #2 Last Edit: Jun 03, 2010, 09:29 pm by scarfwearer
Congratulations  :D

Nice TARDIS! so good to have a fibre glass build for the UK weather. I'm looking forward to following your refining project.
TG

rustymetaldog

Oct 06, 2009, 04:40 pm #3 Last Edit: Jun 03, 2010, 09:29 pm by scarfwearer
OMFG!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Congratulations mate, this box looks brilliant, I'm sure you're very proud indeed of it.

Fancy swapping it for my K9? Joke..! But I'm quite envious!

Brilliant mate, you deserve it.

Andy
Build high for happiness :)

timerotor

Oct 06, 2009, 10:47 pm #4 Last Edit: Jun 03, 2010, 09:29 pm by scarfwearer
Ta Rusty Metal Dog!
Im glad to hear from you!!! I have a little idea that might interest you - a project. Ok... I was given a ruff ruff mould of K9. I think its naff as it is and wanted to work on it and make it the Dog's Bollax!!! - would you be interested in helping me?
I have to do a lot of work to the Tardis - so It is kind of RE-BUILDING!!! there are lots of things not quite right and I will probably have to completely re- make the roofand sign boxes, but the over all shape is good! thanks for the kind message.
Catch ya later!
Timerotor

rustymetaldog

Oct 07, 2009, 08:42 am #5 Last Edit: Jun 03, 2010, 09:29 pm by scarfwearer
Interested? Naturally.

If you need any advice about any of it, you know where I am :) email me some pics of the K9 casting?

'Still tinkering with mine...! Next major outing with it will be for Children In Need...

Laters,

Andy
Build high for happiness :)

timerotor

Oct 07, 2009, 11:08 am #6 Last Edit: Jun 03, 2010, 09:30 pm by scarfwearer
CROPABITMARKSTARDIS-2.jpgCROPEDITMARKSTARDIS-1.jpg
This is exactly the same photo, however the first image is how the box actually looks NOW! THE SECOND IS DOCTORED (NO PUN INTENDED)
I plan to take the roof stacks off completely as they are wrong.
In the second picture you can 'spot the difference', this shows what I want to change. the top of the corner post caps, will be remade accurately and added, and the roof totally re-built from scratch. I will add my own Lamp and make the housing less bulky (to match the season 18 lamp) without the block stand, I will fix the sign boxes (they are drooping - I think they also need completely re-building) and change the fonts (any recommendations welcome please!) and add the windows, WHICH at the moment are part of the all in one moulding - I will use a presicion cutter and cut the yukkie fibre glass out - leaving the frames and (when I can get the right pebble glass from reclaim, fit the new glass windows and back them with assitate to get the appropriate colours.
All this is what I would LIKE to do, but as of yet, I have no where to work and its going to have to go to a lock up in london :'( until I can get a workshop hired! AND I WILL HAVE A BALL!!! :) :) :)
TTFN

timerotor

Mar 06, 2011, 07:56 pm #7 Last Edit: Mar 06, 2011, 08:48 pm by timerotor
Hi Guys.
I know I have another thread for this in build diaries, but I thought I would update this page too.
This weekend, I was lucky enough to escape to the country again - and rendevous with my Tardis.... UH hum.... I mean my Family!
Last week I altered the roof stacks and got the post caps on. and today I filled in all gaps left, and made it look better by hiding the joins in the roof stacks and I also added the door dividers above the signs. I tried to clean up the side of the sign boxes - mine were actually signs stuck over signs - which left a layered effect (rather like the pages of a book), I filled it all in and painted it all (again).
I am pleased over-all with the results of my work, but things still occur to me when Im in London, which I feel I can improve on... I am  now thinking about cutting out all the artificial windows (not the pebbled ones) which would leave the 'T' shape, I might put in the same frosted glass - that the TYJ I refurbished has (or near same if I can get some more) - I think it would look better, but I don't want to over do it!
Anyway - GREAT evening for a few photo's, lovely sunset!
back to London again.
till next week,
All the best,
timerotor :)TARDISroof-2.jpgtardisrooftop.jpgMarksTardisMarch20116-1.jpgMarksTardisMarch20119-1.jpgMarksTardisMarch20113.jpgMarksTardisMarch20117-1.jpgtardisrestoration-1.jpg

DoctorWho8

She's a looker!
Bill "the Doctor" Rudloff

galacticprobe

Mar 07, 2011, 05:11 am #9 Last Edit: Mar 07, 2011, 05:11 am by galacticprobe
Wow! That is some amazing artwork (a.k.a. the paint job). And the construction leaves me speechless. Are you sure you didn't sneak that out of the BBC Props Department storage when no one was looking?

Dino.
"What's wrong with being childish?! I like being childish." -3rd Doctor, "Terror of the Autons"

timerotor

HaHa!!! I wish LOL
no, its best viewed from afar, and of course one posts the best pictures.
There are much better builds on here - that beat the crap out of my wobbly old thing ;D ;D ;D, mine just looks like the Tardis used to. Its funny, but I posted those pictures to show the windows are not real, they are solid resin and part of the jelly mould... close ups show the 'stage paint' effect I did to make them look in place, when I really want to cut them out and replace them , this worries me because I don't want to end up accidentally wrecking the window frames... - plus I would probably have to hang blackouts inside. We'll see.
Back to work. Can't wait for next weekend!
CHEERS ALL! and thanks!
Mark :)

timerotor

Last week I made the brave decision to cut out the windows, which were part of the mouldings in the doors and walls of my TYJ replica,
I am trying to match everything upto the standard of the work I did on the restoration of the TYJ Tardis on display at Olympia.
I know I have slagged of my own build as being wobbly (which it is) and in-accurate (which it is), but I'm sure that you'll agree, judging from the very kind comments on my threads that it is quite cool and captures the feeling of the season 18... so I think I might just throw a little more money at it, and make the effort to get it as close as I can to the original, just because. (I love it).
Below are pictures of the process and the work when completed - compared to the original.
IMG_3290.jpgFirst I started by drilling holes into the windows ( looks Like I've been shot at!-wouldn't surprise me! LOL)
IMG_3298.jpgIMG_3292.jpg
IMG_3293.jpg to the left NEW windows to the right OLD fake ones.

comparethetardis2.jpgcomparethetardiscom.jpgcompare the Tardis.com left TYJ REAL, right TYJ replica! from the same paint pot and the signs are identical - so the colour difference is due to lighting. (the door pull sign is slightly different though, and the yellow windows look strangely different in these pictures - they're the same thing indifferent light.)
IMG_3295-1.jpgcroppedcopyoftomyardleyjonesreplica1.jpg

atomicgraph

Your tardis just gets better and better!!! Makes me want to do a new paint job on mine. Looks fantastic

timerotor

Mar 20, 2011, 01:20 pm #13 Last Edit: Mar 20, 2011, 02:09 pm by timerotor
Cheers for that!
I took a tape measure to it  earlier, it turns out that its not so in-accurate at 2 inches (thats an inch either side) smaller, Its my pillars, they are visibly narrower (one inch smaller each), so the base plinth is two inches smaller as well.
The height is accurate but the roofs not as tall by an inch or so... I mean its not important, but the post caps are smaller as a knock on effect of the pillars being under-scale... I'm not bothered... I didn't build it, I bought the basic box, which all came wrong and I've modified it and changed it extensively. The guy who sold it to me said he had measured the BOX at Criche, up in the North but looking at pictures of Criche - he must have had a dishonest tape measure!
Having said that I'm glad that any difference is all minimal because proportionally its very pleasing.
Newberrysign.jpg
I taped an original sign in, its the one I used to make the new signs a s accurately as possible. The font doesn't actually exist. I can see that they were cut quite crudely originally as the letters are imperfect. The blue vinyl or print face had the letters cut out and laid over milky perspex - making the letters appear off white, they were then dirtied down (sometimes). This sign is a little too short to be from the TYJ, and I believe it is one of the signs from the Newberry prop.
I'm not doing anything major this weekend as Im trying to rest, but my Dad has got me planting his beloved Garden... my poor back!

timerotor

Well...

After a very WET summer here in the British Isles, I went back to Bristol to my parents house for two days at the weekend, and found my Tardis had survived pretty well.
Minimal bird crap, and only a little cracking on the roof - where I added the wood to boost the height of the first roof stack to match that of the Tom Yardley Jones appearance.
so I sanded it back, and then filled them again and sealed it all using quick dry pollyfiller and then repainted it and distressed it and varnished it with matt finish.
I can't believe that its almost one year old IT LOOKS 50 years old! LOL - but thats the point. hee hee, :) :) :)
so a picture of the finnished thing as it dries in the sun (rare) and a reminder of how it looked, when I first got it in 2009 yuk.
P1050076.jpg
P1050074.jpgposterinwork018.jpg
see you all again soon.
MBH