New, New TardisBuilders!

pods first build

Started by pod, May 01, 2009, 11:20 am

Previous topic - Next topic

pod

May 01, 2009, 11:20 am Last Edit: Feb 14, 2010, 11:17 pm by Scarfwearer
podsbuild02.th.jpg

podsbuild01.th.jpg

(EDIT: Message/topic owner changed to Pod - SW)

atomicgraph

May 01, 2009, 11:22 am #1 Last Edit: Jan 14, 2010, 12:27 pm by scarfwearer
hey pod thats a pretty nifty build. it looks like a vrey tidy build too. whatever happened to it?

pod

May 01, 2009, 02:15 pm #2 Last Edit: Jan 14, 2010, 12:28 pm by scarfwearer
Well firstly, a huge thankyou to you Atomicgraph for posting these images for me! As many of you will know, I am a simpleton, and am in awe of people such as yourself who are able to master impossible things like this computer machine.

Well, this build was built by a professional carpenter in 1999, and as you can see, it could be said that it is not 100% accurate, but it still holds a fond place in my heart as my first build! It was supposed to be scaled down to fit indoors, but it actually ended up being a little too squat and wide, which always bugged me. I built the super-high base section in an attempt to make it seem taller, and an extra roof tier to boost that end a bit (not in place in these pics), although with something as fundamental as that, the best thing is just to start again!
I wasn't as pedantic in those days about things like four-holed handles, yale locks and pebbled glass, although later on I did replace the blue light with a fresnel lantern. The glass is frosted with random "rippled" panes (ala McGann), and the sign boxes are based on the earls court box. In fact, I gave the carpenter many pics of that particular box as reference material, so I guess you could say it is based on that box. It never occured to me that i could get signs professionally made back then either, so the door sign and the top signs are hand painted by me.
In the end, I sold her to a lovely lady in tasmania, who treasures her, and I understand the box now resides in her antique shop down there. One day I'll go and visit!
I sold the box to partially finance my new build (I direct you to "pod's build" in the gallery section), but in the end I didn't make any money on it really, she sold for what I paid to have her built in 99. But I didn't mind, as she went to a good home!