Apr 19, 2024, 06:40 pm

News:

New, New TardisBuilders!

The Snowmen

Started by Kingpin, Dec 25, 2012, 08:17 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

DoctorWho8

Quote from: DarthMoose74 on Jan 01, 2013, 06:59 pm
The circled part looks to be some kind of tape or band-aid dispenser, but I can not find an exact one.
asd.jpg

They look more like controls you'd see in a jet cockpit than tape dispensers, but that's a good comparison.
Bill "the Doctor" Rudloff

timewomble

It looks like they were still building the console during filming. In some shots in the final Tardis sequence there are two monitors on curved square-section stems, while in others there only seems to be one monitor and it's on a big thick adjustable heavy duty arm. As for the rotor, given the clever camera angles (Madam Vastra blocking the rotor entirely in one sequence), and lots of fast panning, I suspect we'll see the rotor doing a bit more when the series comes back in the spring.

galacticprobe

Jan 08, 2013, 06:05 am #47 Last Edit: Jan 08, 2013, 06:16 am by galacticprobe
Quote from: timewomble on Jan 07, 2013, 10:02 pm
It looks like they were still building the console during filming. In some shots... there are two monitors on curved square-section stems, while in others there only seems to be one... on a big thick adjustable heavy duty arm.

Ah-ha! You're absolutely right! Not only that, but the console's "collar" and the area around the base of the column is also different in those scenes (screen grabs courtesy of Kingpin):
OneMonitor.jpg
A one-monitor scene...

TwoMonitors.jpg
...and a two-monitor scene. Notice how even the base of the column where it meets the console's collar is different in the above two grabs. So you could very well be right; they could still have been building - or at least putting the completing touches - on the console while they were filming the episode. (Good eyes, timewomble!)

Dino.
"What's wrong with being childish?! I like being childish." -3rd Doctor, "Terror of the Autons"

Kingpin

It's a bit of an unintended hark back to the classic consoles being reassembled incorrectly, and not appearing the same in two different episodes. :)

FloppyDiskNinja

Quote from: rob49152 on Dec 31, 2012, 06:45 am
I see the Blogtorwho website has posted scans of the Doctor Who Adventures Magazine New TARDIS interior spread
http://blogtorwho.blogspot.ca/2012/12/another-look-at-tardis.html

Had a good look at the images and found no evidence of neon tube uppy downy mechanism... Ah nuts that would have been cool... :-\

Cool new tardis,

-FloppyDiskNinja

mordrogyn

As I said previously, if you look carefully at the lighted tubes you can see they pass into a clear tube.
If this is not designed to allow the light tubes to slide up and down with the motion of the time rotor, that would be some pretty bad designing/building as they could just attach to the coupling at the bottom.

I believe that we will see them moving in coming episodes.
(http://i50.tinypic.com/20kan9v.jpg)

Kingpin

The clear plastic tubes may be there for safety rather than for rotor motion.

mordrogyn

sshhhh your stomping on my dreams  ::)
(http://i50.tinypic.com/20kan9v.jpg)

Hodge

Wasn't that shot of the console with one monitor on a swing arm from the Coming Soon trailer at the end of the episode?

DoctorWho8

Keep in mind they shot the Christmas special after they filmed two or three episodes that succeed it, so it's possible the console and room got some tweaks over the course of filming the episodes shot before the Christmas Special.
Bill "the Doctor" Rudloff

Kingpin

Having just looked up Tiffany Boxes, I'd say that the lights and Tiffany boxes are either aqua, or a very greenish-blue rather than a full-on blue.

timewomble

Taking the width and spacing of the typical keyboard cap, and applying it to the multicoloured keyboard, I get a horizontal scale at that point of pretty much 1:10. That would make the console about 125 cm on a side. That's nice and round for metric, but it's possible that it's 4' on the side. I'll have a longer look at the pictures when I've a bt more time.

The shot from below shows some plain panels sloping up to meet the console edge, possibly at the same angle as the top panels. That explains some detail I wasn't able to resolve in the "under construction" pictures. It looks like the control panels, their frames and fronts all form part of a "pod" which sits between the thin separators, on a thin strip which runs all around under the pod's bottom edges. The lower panels come up to meet the front of that front supporting strip, sitting behind the panel's front overhang.

I'm pretty sure I know where the coloured keyboard keys are from, but I want to check it out properly before embarrassing myself.

drwho100

Can anyone estimate the dimensions of this console room
please??
Not that perfect I don't mind!

Many thanks
Dr Who100TI 2013.jpg