11th/12th Doctor Tardis Console Parts identification

Started by timewomble, Jan 12, 2013, 12:06 am

Previous topic - Next topic

timewomble

Quote from: wayne venomous on Jan 28, 2013, 10:33 pm
Those handles on the cogs look like bus blind handles (the things the driver uses to change the numbers/destination on the front of the bus). They've got a thing about using old bus parts!

Interesting. I assumed that most of the handles on that panel were from vises, but perhaps it's just the handles with the sliding rods (with balls on the ends).

slidin_sidewayz

That hand wheel on the bottom right resembles a lathe cross slide wheel.

Kingpin

The red knobs near the large crank handle in the "pocket" on Panel 1:

redindicatorknob.png

Diameter - 25mm
Height - 30.5mm (approx)
Thread - M10
Weight - 8 grammes

wayne venomous

Kingpin, those knobs look very similar to 1970's Volkswagen van hazard switch knobs:
2488587.jpg
This is an American market one - the European market version just has the hazard triangle symbol on and it easily rubs off.

kiwidoc

May 10, 2013, 10:23 pm #34 Last Edit: May 10, 2013, 10:27 pm by kiwidoc
From Rubbertoe Replias' Facebook page (Nick Robarto built the console and lots of other new series props):

1: The final piece fitted into the console. -- at The Tardis.
1.jpg

2:  Mapping out the controls . -- at The Rubbertoe Workshop.
2.jpg
3: One of the few scratch built levers on this console, made from brass, aluminium and drain pipe! -- at The Rubbertoe Workshop.
3.jpg
4: The other custom lever was designed with old steam trains in mind, made from turned brass, sheet aluminium and a turned handle. -- at The Rubbertoe Workshop.
4.jpg
5: The concept art provided and the finished console -- at The Rubbertoe Workshop.
5.jpg
6: All finished ready to take to the new studios. Only another five to do. -- at The Rubbertoe Workshop.
6.jpg

slidin_sidewayz

More more more!!! I just LOVE behind-the-scenes stuff!!! Hope you or someone can do a whole article. You listening Crispin?  ;)

Rassilons Rod

Quote from: slidin_sidewayz on May 11, 2013, 08:59 am
More more more!!! I just LOVE behind-the-scenes stuff!!! Hope you or someone can do a whole article. You listening Crispin?  ;)

Members can make their own articles too... It's not only Mods! :)

(Plus Crispin is always under the engine in this place - let's not give him even more to do ;) ).
In the cities in the streets there's a tension you can feel,
The breaking strain is fast approaching, guns and riots.
Politicians gamble and lie to save their skins,
And the press get fed the scapegoats,
Public Enema Number One.

Kingpin

Oh wow, some great photos there... and that concept art piece might help in sizing the templates correctly.

Hope we see stuff like that for the other five panels. :)

Rassilons Rod

Quote from: Kingpin on May 11, 2013, 02:39 pm
Oh wow, some great photos there... and that concept art piece might help in sizing the templates correctly.

Hope we see stuff like that for the other five panels. :)

Yes indeed, I didn't say that in my last post but these are some great photos :)
In the cities in the streets there's a tension you can feel,
The breaking strain is fast approaching, guns and riots.
Politicians gamble and lie to save their skins,
And the press get fed the scapegoats,
Public Enema Number One.

kiwidoc

Okay, Nick 'Rubbertoe' 's facebook page has some new pics of console construction.  I've copied them for you but you might like to become a 'friend' of his and also browse his mass construction of River sonics and a few other prop replicas and shots he has posted.  This is all the console stuff though.

Will probably have to put this up in a few successive posts.

a.jpgb.jpgc.jpgd.jpge.jpgf.jpgg.jpgh.jpgi.jpgj.jpgk.jpgl.jpgm.jpg

slidin_sidewayz

Ever since this lovely console debuted I still don't know if the central column or 'Time Rotor' moves or not. Haven't been able to see anything definite on the show. Did the Rubbertoe guy make it to move?

kiwidoc

Quote from: slidin_sidewayz on Jul 03, 2013, 02:23 am
Ever since this lovely console debuted I still don't know if the central column or 'Time Rotor' moves or not. Haven't been able to see anything definite on the show. Did the Rubbertoe guy make it to move?

Don't know, there's no commentary with the pictures unfortunately.  I'm positive that the very centre moved (slightly) in the The Snowmen when it debuted but I haven't seen any sign of it since.  Seems a shame to lose that element but they did add the giant whirling dials above I guess...

:)

fivefingeredstyre

in one of the episodes you can see the central (non-illuminated) part of the time rotor rise and fall, but its very subtle, and they tend to keep the camera angles away from any focus on the rotor (Which I don't blame them for - if its static it would hardly make for an interesting shot...)

I love this console and room, you can see they've put some real thought into it to make it look as interesting and sophisticated as possible, but the lack of central column action does seem like a missed opportunity to me...

Yeah you have the fairground ride going on at the top, but in order to see that when you are close to the console you have to keep every shot st s low, upward angle...

The actual console itself though is perfect, easily the best since the original :)