References images from Journey to the Centre of the TARDIS

Started by type63, Apr 22, 2013, 05:27 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

type63

Have you seen in the new trailer for "Journey to the Center of the Tardis" you can see THE TARDIS SWIMMING POOL! AND CORRIDORS!391171_489798881074808_1095668920_n.jpg

Elvis Gump

Apr 22, 2013, 06:07 pm #1 Last Edit: May 03, 2013, 10:17 pm by Scarfwearer
With a little Photoshopping the foreground destruction out of the way from screen-capping the Next Time trailer, the console takes a "beating" in Journey as well.
journey_console.jpg

DoctorWho8

Feels Star Trekky. Where's Wesley Crusher?
Bill "the Doctor" Rudloff

galacticprobe

Apr 23, 2013, 04:10 am #3 Last Edit: May 03, 2013, 10:17 pm by Scarfwearer
Quote from: DoctorWho8 on Apr 22, 2013, 06:07 pm
Feels Star Trekky...

Really? I was thinking more 'Lost In Space'y, from the original TV series the Jupiter 2's upper deck interior scenes after the crash in the beginning of Episode 4 of Season 2).

Quote from: DoctorWho8 on Apr 22, 2013, 06:07 pm
...Where's Wesley Crusher?

Probably busy with Season 6 of 'The Guild'. ;)

Dino.
"What's wrong with being childish?! I like being childish." -3rd Doctor, "Terror of the Autons"

geminitimelord

Wow we get a nice new high tech console and the go and trash it within 6 episodes!

Kingpin

Apr 23, 2013, 09:36 am #5 Last Edit: May 03, 2013, 10:17 pm by Scarfwearer
It'll be fixed again in the next episode, naturally.

BioDoctor900

I should probably think that it would had been filmed last once all the other episodes inside the TARDIS had been shot, rather than keep on taking it apart and putting it back together. Also I noticed on the panel next to Clara in Hide, there are two Drain covers on the panel. These are probably the easiest part to find

BioDoctor900

Mark

To be fair it doesn't actually look damaged at all. It just appears damaged because of the way it is partially assembled with wires and stuff all over the top.

Well thats what I think :)

galacticprobe

Apr 23, 2013, 03:41 pm #8 Last Edit: Apr 23, 2013, 03:46 pm by galacticprobe
If anyone remembers the 'ST: Voyager' episode two-parter "Year of Hell", they did the same thing to the Voyager sets. They popped lots of panels loose in the corridors, dangled wires and "pipes" (they were cardboard tubes) all over the place along with a few foam "I" beams, and sprayed everything down with black "foam" paint (much like the snow inside the TARDIS in "Amy's Choice", only black).

If you remember that episode, Voyager looked pretty trashed. And my friend who was working on the series then said they filmed the beginning and the ending scenes of the story first. Then the props people took a day to "destroy" certain parts of Voyager, and then they filmed all of the in-between scenes. (Then it was "all hands on deck" to clean up the sets for the next story, and that clean up took almost three days!)

They no doubt did something similar here, and hopefully it didn't take them three days to clean up their "mess". (Remember also how bad the console looked in "The Horns of Nimon". It looked worse than this does, and in the next story it was back to its normal self. Set Dressings: it's a fascinating thing!)

Dino.
"What's wrong with being childish?! I like being childish." -3rd Doctor, "Terror of the Autons"

linkjrep

Apr 24, 2013, 02:19 am #9 Last Edit: May 03, 2013, 10:18 pm by Scarfwearer
I'll delete this if irrelevant, but I thought you guys might enjoy this well lit-up picture of the console in the back of the journey to the centre of the tardis promo.
image.jpg

slidin_sidewayz

Journey to the centre of the earth? Do you mean Journey to the centre of the TARDIS?

watcher

Quote from: galacticprobe on Apr 23, 2013, 03:41 pm
If anyone remembers the 'ST: Voyager' episode two-parter "Year of Hell", they did the same thing to the Voyager sets.

I love that episode! And Voyager is my favourite trek :-)

Didn't you visit the set once?

Whoops! re-engaging drift compensator's!  ;)

galacticprobe

Apr 25, 2013, 03:43 am #12 Last Edit: Apr 25, 2013, 03:49 am by galacticprobe
Quote from: watcher on Apr 24, 2013, 11:32 am
I love that episode! And Voyager is my favourite trek :-)

Didn't you visit the set once?

Just to answer the question and wrap this up so we can get back on topic ;): yes; once when I was still Active Duty Coast Guard visiting one of our Cutters in Long Beach, CA, that friend who was working on 'Voyager' brought me to the studio one day and got special clearance to let me tour the sets. (All of the 'Trek' sets were "closed" sets, meaning that no one, not even the VIP tours, got to see them.) The sets were lots smaller in person. They used a wide-angle lens when filming to make things appear larger, and the actors would take smaller steps to make the rooms look bigger, but on screen it all looked normal. (I'm sure they do similar camera tricks with a few of the 'Doctor Who' sets.)

I paid a heavy price for my treat, though :P. Because I was trapped at the studio until my friend got off work (which was close to 11 PM that night - script re-writes!), while she was working I got the "3rd Degree" from my friend's boss and Brannon Braga (one of the producers) about what I liked and didn't, and what the fans were saying (DS9 was also running at the time so I really got grilled, but didn't get to see any DS9 sets: too much filming going on there; 'Voyager' filming that day was all on a "planet" so I had free run of the ship - other than those buttons in Engineering that I so wanted to press ;D). This was back in December 1996 when the producers really were interested in what the fans thought and I was their perfect captive audience. It was when 'Voyager' was nearing the end of its run a few years later (2001?) that the producers got too wrapped up in the Trek they wanted to make (i.e. 'Enterprise') rather than what the fans were asking for (anything to do with CAPT Sulu and the Excelsior).

Now... fire up those drift compensators!

Any guesses on what sort of interiors this "new TARDIS desktop" will look like? The last one seemed to be just corridor after corridor, with isolation doors, but no doors to any real rooms (other than the archived 10th Doctor console room).

Dino.

Kingpin

Apr 25, 2013, 12:29 pm #13 Last Edit: May 03, 2013, 10:18 pm by Scarfwearer
Well, from the BBC publicity photos and "Next Time" trailer we've seen...

* The TARDIS swimming pool.
* A snow-covered mountain.
* A gothic-style Library, containing a written compendium of the history of the Time War.

I imagine we'll see a few more locales through the episode.

deck5

Let's keep the off-topic kibitzing down to a dull roar, please; stay focused on elements relating to prop/set building.