Apr 25, 2024, 08:37 am

News:

New, New TardisBuilders!

The TARDIS Hum

Started by the pioneer, Mar 25, 2013, 03:36 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

the pioneer

Mar 25, 2013, 03:36 pm Last Edit: Mar 28, 2013, 12:27 pm by Scarfwearer
I know this is off topic and I apologise. Vortexion, you mentioned: <<the original TARDIS electronic 'hum' found on the extras on 'Web Planet' DVD>>. I can't find it or is it an Easter Egg?

Most grateful

tony farrell

I think Vortexion means that the hum is audible on the introductory scenes set inside the Tardis. It's also heard when Ian and Barbara enter the junkyard. Various wav files are available for download - you could try: www.madmansrealm

Hope that helps.

vortexion

Mar 25, 2013, 07:31 pm #2 Last Edit: Mar 25, 2013, 07:34 pm by vortexion
Hi Tony
Yes I'm positive it is on the extra's as said: It's the same 'hum' in the opening episode 'An Unearthly Child' when Ian approaches the police-box: "Do you feel it? -it's alive!"...

Best

Vortexion

DoctorWho8

Sometimes TARDIS hums are used in the photo galleries.
Bill "the Doctor" Rudloff

galacticprobe

Mar 26, 2013, 05:36 am #4 Last Edit: Mar 26, 2013, 05:36 am by galacticprobe
If you can't find it (or grab it) on the DVD, you can find a WAV of it here: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/TardisSounds/. It's in the Files section, Other TARDIS Sounds folder. (You do have to become a member, like with most groups, but it's free; just sign up.) There are other TARDIS sounds there (as the Group's name implies) so if you're looking for other sounds and are having trouble, check it out.

Hope this helps.

Dino.
"What's wrong with being childish?! I like being childish." -3rd Doctor, "Terror of the Autons"

Rassilons Rod

Quote from: Tony Farrell on Mar 25, 2013, 07:17 pm
I think Vortexion means that the hum is audible on the introductory scenes set inside the Tardis. It's also heard when Ian and Barbara enter the junkyard. Various wav files are available for download - you could try: www.madmansrealm

Hope that helps.

Probably also on the Photogallery too. They usually use sound fx from the story for the photo gallery.
In the cities in the streets there's a tension you can feel,
The breaking strain is fast approaching, guns and riots.
Politicians gamble and lie to save their skins,
And the press get fed the scapegoats,
Public Enema Number One.

madgaz

There was a TARDIS hum noise/effect on the 30 Years at the Radiophonic Workshop CD that was release back in the 90's.
( http://www.amazon.co.uk/30-Years-BBC-Radiophonic-Workshop/dp/B000006YBX/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1364299854&sr=8-1 )
If anyone knows how to export it from a CD so it can be sent I can give it a go - anything to help this awesome console!

Gaz  :)

davidnagel

I do have most of every sound effect going which might be useful. I did intend to put up a post with links to things but then we start entering weird copyright territory. If the 60s hum is required I can try and organise that.
Regards
David

gerald lovell

Yes, I think it's used over the photo gallery on that DVD release.

The other Hartnell sound effect I've noticed is the kind of ticking noise which comes from the console.

marinedalek

If it helps, I've analysed the original effect and recreated the hum from sine waves with a very light touch of distortion. Luckily the original sound is pretty simple; two sets of two sine waves slightly de-tuned to give the beating effect. This is an 8-second loop, the shortest possible while keeping the beat frequencies accurate. The file's quite large because it's DVD-standard audio (48kHz, 24-bit, stereo) although it doesn't really need to be and it's in WAV format to avoid the blip of silence that MP3 adds to the start, which stops it being loopable.

https://dl.dropbox.com/u/69960/TARDIS%20Interior%20Hum%2063.wav [2.2 MB]

And a smaller version in FLAC format for those who can use it:

https://dl.dropbox.com/u/69960/TARDIS%20Interior%20Hum%2063.flac [0.5 MB]

petewilson

That's clever stuff marinedalek !  :)
I wonder if anybody has ever tried  to re-create the Tardis take off sound from scratch  ???

Pete

gerald lovell

Brian Hodgson himself tried to redo it from stratch on the Pescations LP, Pete, but sadly not very successfully.  :(

kert gantry

Quote from: gerald lovell on Mar 26, 2013, 03:42 pm

The other Hartnell sound effect I've noticed is the kind of ticking noise which comes from the console.

Yes, I've wondered about that console sound (vaguely reminds me of the puffing noise Ivor the Engine use to make!).  Was it an intentional effect, or simply the console's internal workings being picked up by studio microphones?

For anyone who's not familiar with the sound we're referring to, ISTR it's particularly noticeable at the end of the Crusade/Space Museum crossover scene.   

marinedalek

I would guess that the ticking sound is relays switching for the various flashing lights on the console, in particular the two circular chasers that turn on when the TARDIS is in flight. I'd imagine that was the simplest way to flash lamps like that in 1963, considering the high inrush current a lamp generates when it switches on.

kert gantry

Sounds right.

Wasn't there an idea to hide microphones under the console grills?  I guess the ticking relays were one of many reasons why that would have been a non-starter.