Apr 20, 2024, 06:16 am

News:

New, New TardisBuilders!

The 10 Day Tardis

Started by nickdclements, Mar 21, 2013, 06:43 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

nickdclements

Mar 21, 2013, 06:43 pm Last Edit: Mar 28, 2013, 01:12 pm by nickdclements

I am going to build a Tardis... in less than 10 days!

I need it as a part of a marriage proposal! <3
amyfindsring.gif

I finally collected the funds for the build!
001.jpg

Hopefully it will be enough...
002.jpg

I know how I'm going to build it... I have the plans!
003.jpg

Sort-of...
004.jpg
005.jpg
006.jpg
007.jpg
008.jpg

(design inspired by:

&
http://tardisbuilders.com/index.php?topic=4409.0[/i])[/size]

A reference for paint!
(I think I'm going with the 1996/#102372)
colors.jpg

I have my list of what to buy:
009.jpg

The clock is ticking! --
And the best part about a Tardis speed build,
if I don't finish on time,
I can just hop in the Tardis when I do and come back to give myself a hand, and finish it on time ;) !
[/size]

ThisJustinOnline

Volpone

Less than 10 days is a pretty bold call.  Best of luck.
"My dear Litefoot, I've got a lantern and a pair of waders, and possibly the most fearsome piece of hand artillery in all England. What could possibly go wrong?"
-The Doctor.

linkjrep

Mine so far has been technically 3 days so I think you can do it if you work on it hard enough! Your plans are a lot better than mine!! Good luck!!!

P.s. don't do what I did and build the roof to wrap around the outside.  ;) have fun!

nickdclements

Mar 22, 2013, 04:38 pm #4 Last Edit: Mar 24, 2013, 03:01 am by nickdclements
Thank you for all the luck!  ;D
I will definitely need it!

This morning I sketched some more plans.

Refined the half panels concept further.
010.jpg

Reworked out the top a bit more.
011.jpg

I'm not sure if I am going to illuminate the 'POLICE BOX' banner(s) for the '10 Day Build' ...
If I have 'extra' time sure ;)
But I do absolutely need the top lantern to illuminate.
Followed second only by SoundFX!
(But for now, I might just use a CD/iPod and work on installing it in the box later.)
But I want to make sure electrical is factored in, so I sketched up thoughts for that.
012.jpg

And speaking of Lantern, that is currently my largest concern...
creating or finding a decent enough lantern to pass off as a Tardis topper >.<

galacticprobe

Mar 23, 2013, 03:50 pm #5 Last Edit: Mar 23, 2013, 03:53 pm by galacticprobe
If you're making the 2005 TARDIS (Eccleston/Tennant) then you can get a lamp for the room at Amazon:
http://www.amazon.com/Gerson-Everlasting-Lantern-Flameless-Candle/dp/B004EBT7A0/ref=sr_1_7?s=home-garden&ie=UTF8&qid=1310528524&sr=1-7

And it's available with Super Saver Free Shipping direct from Amazon!
http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/B004EBT7A0/ref=dp_olp_new?ie=UTF8&condition=new

And from what I've heard about this model, the top is easily modified, and the bottom opens where the tealight would go to give a round hole for a bright, flashing light if you want.

If you order one I hope it gets to you in time.

Dino.
"What's wrong with being childish?! I like being childish." -3rd Doctor, "Terror of the Autons"

nickdclements

Awesome! Thanks so much! That would work great!

nickdclements

Mar 24, 2013, 03:35 am #7 Last Edit: Mar 24, 2013, 04:23 am by deck5
Caution! Boring text-based entry!

Have I mentioned that I'm currently doing a massive remodel of my basement and have zero time for such a project?! :o But such is life, there is never, ever, enough wibbly wobbly timey wimey stuff!

Anyway, I've been thinking all day about how I am actually going to get the supplies... And I think I will just have to use my car and strap anything that can't fit inside it to the roof!

And with that in mind, I've also been thinking I really want/need to make this Tardis as portable as possible, so I might even have the main supports, split into two parts, and bolt together. I'll post my plans for that soon.

Hoping I will be able to drag myself out of bed tomorrow morning bright and early to get the bulk of the supplies. I'm trying to bribe myself with the promise of Starbucks lol ;)

The build starts bright and early Tuesday morning and continues on Wednesday I'll have the rest of the week to paint and do detail work and then we'll see what kind-a shape it's in by next Sunday... Day#10!

Thank you again for your comments, thoughts, help, suggestions, and just your show of interest in my little endeavor... True, the community here is kinda sorta geared for that ;) but still it's really great. I need all the help I can get and doing this build diary, knowing people are looking at it, is really keeping me on task. :)

P.s. *Words flagged as spelling errors: wibbly, timey, wimey

galacticprobe

Mar 24, 2013, 05:22 am #8 Last Edit: Mar 24, 2013, 05:31 am by galacticprobe
Glad I was able to help locate the lamp for you. Hopefully it will arrive in time for you to "put that cherry on top of the cake" (so to speak). You seem to be pouring your heart and soul into this and I have no doubt that it will be a terrific build. Battle on!

Boring text-baesd entry? Nah! I've seen longer entries and none yet have been boring. And as for the spell-check errors... well... there are many words in the Whovian Lexicon that get flagged (such as 'Whovian', and even Gallifreyan just to name a few). It's hard to keep up with the spell checker, for as one of our Moderators put it, making changes in one area can cause a problem in another. (I've seen this ad nauseam while I was in the military: they do something as simple as add a font, and for some unknown reason ("Aliens"?) now you can't open your e-mails!)

That's why I try to double proof read my posts for spelling before I hit that "Post" button. (I love my dictionary, and Google!)

Dino.
"What's wrong with being childish?! I like being childish." -3rd Doctor, "Terror of the Autons"

linkjrep

Mar 24, 2013, 05:29 am #9 Last Edit: Mar 24, 2013, 05:50 am by linkjrep
Hey nickdclements, I was wondering what your plans for the windows and signs are going to be, since that's where I'm currently stuck.

Also (helpful advice time) locking in with window bolts into the walls isn't going to work. I tried it today with my build and it didn't work out. Like Astrid's build, we are going to need to cut the sides a little bit so it's not completely flush then have the lock on a piece of wood. Look at the part where she is trying different methods; that's what works. Window bolts are still fine, but don't make the same mistake I did and make it flush!!!

Also, check out her build top. It's accurate, it's made to be fit on the inside. I put my roof fit for the outside and it's not right; it's going to give me problems when I go to build my signs (it's slowing me down).

Yoz

Hey I love your idea of a 10 day build TARDIS, in particular the VHS case that is the host for the funding! I thought I could make the basics of mine in two weeks but I was soooo wrong! *First by now half a year later I can finally see and end of it* If you care to do it properly then one idea is to allow it to take all the time it needs. Good Luck :-)
TARDISbuilding is really Wibbly Wobbly Timey Wimey Stuff!

nickdclements

Mar 25, 2013, 01:36 pm #11 Last Edit: Mar 25, 2013, 02:09 pm by nickdclements
Quote from: linkjrep on Mar 24, 2013, 05:29 am
Hey nickdclements, I was wondering what your plans for the windows and signs are going to be, since that's where I'm currently stuck.

If I had more time, one idea I had was to was to adhere letters with removable adhesive to glass/plexiglass and then paint black over top of it - and then peal off the letters. (and paint the back side white or use white plexiglass)

The biggest issue with that would be getting crisp edges on the letters, because paint almost always bleeds :( and i'm not sure if spray paint or a roller would produce better results. First I was thinking a paint-roller, but at the moment I almost think if you did several light coats of spray paint you might get away with it.

However, as I have a strict time restraint, I have decided to print the sign(s) on a laser printer, on translucent label stock and adhere it to the glass/plexiglass. Unfortunately my labels are only 8.5x14 so I will have to tile them, but if I do the splits in between the letters it shouldn't be very noticeable.

Sample print on translucent label stock:
20130325_100220.jpg

Quote from: linkjrep on Mar 24, 2013, 05:29 am
locking in with window bolts into the walls isn't going to work.

Thank you for this warning, I will definitely heed to it.

nickdclements

Quote from: Yoz on Mar 24, 2013, 09:33 pm
Hey I love your idea of a 10 day build TARDIS, in particular the VHS case

Lol, thanks!  ;D

Their original contents may be totally obsolete, but VHS cases can go on to have a great afterlife holding all sorts of awesome things.
e.g. with a couple strips of foam you have a perfect hardrive case!
hdcase.jpg

nickdclements

Mar 25, 2013, 03:19 pm #13 Last Edit: Mar 25, 2013, 03:21 pm by nickdclements
I... did... not! get supplies yesterday >.<
That, is happening... TODAY! at 5:00.
PM!
Standard Eastern Time.

I have my sketch for the split side supports:
013.jpg

Basically just joining them with bolts. I will probably add some metal braces just for a little extra support.

I am also going to heed linkjrep's warning and forgo the window latches and just use bolts and wingnuts.
It makes a lot more sense it will be much more secure and with wingnuts I should still be able to assemble it without tools.

nickdclements

Mar 27, 2013, 12:54 pm #14 Last Edit: Mar 27, 2013, 01:23 pm by nickdclements
MONDAY------------------------------------------

Mondays supply run was 90% successful!
edit1.jpg

I had them cut everything in half so I could transport it with my car lol.
I felt bad for making the guy cut all that, but i did pay for the cuts so >.>
And putting the panels on the roof actually worked great! ha!
I had to climb in through the window though, lol!
20130325_193227.jpg

Everything made it back to the "workshop" aka parents garage safely.
20130325_195342.jpg

The only thing I didn't get was the wood for the 'trim'.
I was going along, loading up my cart when I went to go pick up the wood for the 'trim'...
I wondered, how much of this stuff do I need, and looked at my list... 28! Can that be right?
I did some quick math and figured I figured right :/
I didn't really think about it, but that could get expensive real quick.
To get 28 of the boards I was currently looking at could be close to $80+ !
So I decided to wait on that and just get everything else... I cant burn my budget on the trim...

I found some thinner boards that would only be about $40... but they were only 2½ wide... to thin :/
Then I thought I could rip 2x4's in half for about $30
And then figured I might as well just cut strips out of a piece of plywood or something,
and settled on a nice $11 piece of particle board.
Budget saved! lol

TUESDAY------------------------------------------

Tuesdays build went okay. I didn't get nearly as much done as I would have liked,
but a lot of time was burned running errands, getting the rest of the supplies,
returning supplies (my bolts were to short ><)
Luckily, Lowe's is only about 5 minutes down the road, so that wasn't that bad.

I started by resembling my 2x4 lol.
IMG_0941.JPG
IMG_0944.JPG

My concept for them worked better than I could have hoped, I am very happy.
The 2 bolts alone seemed to be sufficient,
IMG_0942.JPG
and I almost didn't even bother with the third bolt I had planned.
20130325_175946.jpg

I couldn't do a wingnut on this one, because I would be visible from the front.
But I figured I would do it and it worked really well and was way easier than I thought.
So I might even convert the other bolts to hidden ones!

Once I completed the posts, I started on the base, which went together pretty quickly as well.
IMG_0945.JPG

It was nice to at least see some kind of structure at the end of the day.
edit3.jpg

Hoping to get way more done today!
However, I have been thinking about upping the portability factor even more with things like splitting the base in two...
So all that will eat up a lot of time.

I don't know if I will have a finished Tardis by day ten :/
But I'll have something 'Tardisy' for sure lol
But I am confident I can find a way to have it done for the proposal, which is what really matters.
And I can always be lame and add the qualifier 10 "work days" ><

And speaking of proposal, my 'replica' ring box arrived! :)
edit4.jpg