Apr 19, 2024, 06:15 pm

News:

New, New TardisBuilders!

Post on BBC's WPC56 drama

Started by Dalekoracle, Mar 20, 2013, 06:49 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Dalekoracle

Theres a new daytime drama called WPC56, a series about a lady copper, set in the 1950's.
In Episode 2, currently on iplayer at 22.23 mins into the episode, theres a little sequence with a Police Post, its light flashing, and a copper running to answer the call from the station.
Its set in the Midlands, and I didn't think they had met posts in that region.
Linky: http://www.bbc.co.uk/i/b01rgrm2/

Adding that I'm not one for Daytime Telly, but this series is actually not bad! (reminds me of the Sunday Afternoon Drama's we used to get a while back)

If anyone could arrange some caps, that would be great.

Mark

Scarfwearer

Mar 20, 2013, 10:33 pm #1 Last Edit: Mar 20, 2013, 10:43 pm by Scarfwearer
WPC56.jpg
WPC56-2.jpg

Unfortunately I didn't see a full-length view.

Crispin

vortexion

What you have posted is good! I like the shots.
Vortexion

domvar

Good prop or badly maintained PA3 ?

hb88banzai

Mar 20, 2013, 11:23 pm #4 Last Edit: Mar 20, 2013, 11:33 pm by hb88banzai
Well, first off the door is opening the wrong way. All the PA2 and PA3 Trench type posts I've ever seen (including in the plans) open left to right. The signs are also wrong and seem to be made of paper, though that alone doesn't mean much. The crest above the front top sign also looks quite odd.

Regardless, the door alone suggests it was a prop. It might have been made from the husk of an old PA2 or PA3, but I'm sure starcross would have more to say on that front. Don't think the doors were easily reversible, though, and it further seems to be sitting well proud of the front surface of the Post, like it was tacked on.

Dalekoracle

prop or not, i love the wording on the door! THATS what should be on the current Prop Box IMHO.

Kingpin

The blue lense also looks a little funny...

I believe it could be a refurbished husk, but I'm not an authority.

Senseidale

Just looking at this I have been thinking about a winter project I think I have now found one I am going to build one for my hallway and put a working phone in it. Not sure what the wife will say ?
Dale
"In 900 years of time and space, I've never met anyone who wasn't important"

Mark

I have completed a sketchup plan of one for my police post project that I will start in earnest shortly, if you want a copy? Starcross has some excellent plans and stuff if you visit his flickr account.

starcross

Quote from: hb88banzai on Mar 20, 2013, 11:23 pm
Regardless, the door alone suggests it was a prop. It might have been made from the husk of an old PA2 or PA3, but I'm sure starcross would have more to say on that front.

It is indeed a Prop, no real police posts were harmed during the filming of this production.

The "steps" under the wrong lantern glass are wildly out of proportion for the real thing.

Under that is the curved section that is clearly a cut piece of sheet metal or something, the tabs are visible on the front.

Below that is the M (crown) P which is silly if it were to take place in the midlands because it would have been blank like all City posts. Even so the crown is badly attached it almost looks like its falling off to me, or its just so round it looks wrong. The real crown has pearls on the top half with a cross at the top. which are clearly not distinctly visible. 

Below that is the missing drip edge over the PTO door, I suppose it was too tricky to make. The PA2 posts didn't have that improvement, so its possible that they modeled it on that version. Even so the edge of that panel is still missing a notch taken out of the vertical edge of the panel. Even the PA2s had those.

Then there is the trim around the paper looking signs, which are slightly undersize and the wrong shape.

The side panel is short by maybe 2" the "police" sign is hugging the edges far too much.
I don't see any flat head slotted bolts either, but if this were a PA2 then its forgivable.

The PTO sign is all wrong as well, the font looks good, but the text size is all wrong. 

the door opening on the wrong side isn't such a big deal, yes its wrong but it just means they didn't need to detail the interior.

As for people building one, I have a method of cutting and gluing sheets of wood together to produce a replica of these posts. I haven't had a chance to try it myself as I lack the required table saw to cut the 8' sheets into the correct panels. But if someone wants to give it a go, I will be happy to share.