Apr 20, 2024, 12:46 am

News:

New, New TardisBuilders!

FireAlarmChick's Chicken Coop Tardis

Started by firealarmchick, Mar 08, 2013, 03:19 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

firealarmchick

Mar 08, 2013, 03:19 pm Last Edit: Apr 29, 2013, 01:19 am by firealarmchick
The following post is the first one we posted, which stayed as a draft for months for some reason.  We are still trying to figure how this posting thing works.

I'd like to say that the chicken coop tardis was an original idea, but actually my inspiration came from Daveninja's chicken coop tardis.  I cannot say that I built it as nicely as his, though!
We did not take pictures all the way through because we'd change some things now that we did, and we were embarrassed at our wood skills.  Give me a steel stud or a piece of emt, I'm fine.  My husband and I are rough carpenters versus the trim carpenters and cabinet builders out there on this forum.  Plus, we are using 'gasp' visible deck screws and a circular saw. A table saw would have really helped.....and jigs, and, and skill, and and
Here's what we have so far:

firealarmchick

Okay, pictures didn't come through the first time, so let me try them individually.Tardis Front (683x1024).jpg Here is the front

firealarmchick

Here is the side that has the egg collection doors and will have functional windowsTardis Side (683x1024).jpg

firealarmchick

Tardis Other Side (683x1024).jpg Here is the side with the automatic chicken door. Eventually this will be connected to the fenced in area.

firealarmchick

Tardis Cedar Door Lock (1024x683).jpgTardis Hinge Door (683x1024).jpg I'm getting brave, trying for two pictures at a time.  We had a lot of trouble with the door, using different hinges and plywood in order to get the door, which is recessed, to swing out.  We thought we solved it but I found when I put the trim wood on that the trim prevented the door from fully opening.  So this was our final solution.

firealarmchick

Tardis Chicken Coop Interior Layout (683x1024).jpg Here's a shot of the interior layout.  Originally I had two levels of nesting boxes.  I can still add another level later and still access the top layer from the original egg collection doors.Tardis Egg Collection (1024x683).jpg

firealarmchick

firealarmchick

Tardis Protecting Auto Door (683x1024).jpgTardis Automatic Door (683x1024).jpgTardis Interior Closeup (683x1024).jpg We protected the automatic door string and the mechanism from chicken tampering by adding a wall, also giving us something to hang the roosting bar from.  Originally the roosting bar was on the other side of the tardis, but this would inhibit hanging of the feeders and the occasional visitor who wants to slide into the tardis for a photo opportunity.

firealarmchick

Tardis Interior Bones (683x1024).jpg So here's the bones.  My husband dutifully supported me in my project, although he was bitting his tounge to not ask "why didn't you do this" etc etc.  Turns out I also now regret picking the wood I did for the posts. I was planning to try to do most of this project alone, with deck screws, but soon realized screws are too much for such small wood.

firealarmchick

Tardis Lamp with Cover (683x1024).jpg The top is from a birdfeeder, simply painted.  The rest is from the lamp some of yall have suggested buying. I bought mine, as suggested on one reply of a post, from ?spelling? Menards.  They were much cheaper than the one I saw very similar at Home Depot. My husband is now trying to find the ideal item to get these two to screw together.

firealarmchick

Tardis Windows (1024x683).jpg The working windows are in progress.

firealarmchick

TardisFrontFinished.jpg
Here is the finished product, complete with a nice sign on top, thanks Robert!  If anyone needs to know about Robert, send me a private message.  We did not make the aluminum sign to call for police.  If anyone needs to know about that, send me a private message.

firealarmchick

Here are our two new tardis inhabitantsTardis Chicks.jpg

linkjrep

This looks really nice :D I just wanted to say visible deck screws are nothing bad! I was on the same boat: I "attempted" to caulk them all (the sanding process ended up getting rid of most of it). If you really really really get annoyed with visible screws later, you can always screw it in from behind and it'll be fine (I did that too until I had to re-cut pieces and I got annoyed with flipping it over)