News:

New, New TardisBuilders!

Wonky Toronto TARDIS (aka Metebelis-3)

Started by thingee, Jul 31, 2011, 09:18 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

willfleming

HUGE Doctor Who,GHI,GH and Torchwood fan

geminitimelord

At first I thought why didnt you document this as you built it. But now I am glad you waited as in a short time span we all got the payoff. It is nice to see how a build will progress.

Very nice looking box you have there sir!

thingee

Thanks for the lovely comments, folks!

With the first coat of paint dry, it was time for a few last bits and pieces - more caulking, more sanding, more spackling, the taping of windows and sign boxes, and finally the whole "dig-the-back-end-of-the-TARDIS-out-from-under-the-garden-which-was-slowly-trying-to-retake-it".

Taping the windows was definitely annoying. I can see why most people on these boards paint them BEFORE installing them. Below is a photo of the TARDIS with the windows still all taped-up and the second coat drying in the moist summer air (save for that one corner, which I was still digging out).

taping_windows.JPG

thingee

Here 'tis the next (foggy) morning, looking fairly ominous and dark.

foggy.JPG

thingee

The last few steps came relatively quickly... once I was in a groove, I just worked nonstop until the TARDIS was finished. I *finally* glued the door sign onto its designated area, attached and installed the lamp, and began the process of frosting the windows.

The lamp I purchased at my local Rona (an extremely crappy Canadian version of Home Depot), which was the only place that carried a lamp that matched what I wanted. I fully acknowledge that while I did build a modified 1996 Hudolin TARDIS, the white door sign, the sign boxes, and the style of the lamp kinda make it more of a hybrid with the 2005 version. It's okay, though... it was by design. I just like the look of the white door sign a bit more.

2nd_coat.JPG

thingee

Frosting the windows was a lot of fun. I didn't even realize that such a product existed until my wife pointed it out - I was just gonna buy plastic sheeting or mottled glass samples to place behind the clear plastic windows I had already placed, but one can of that spray-on glass frosting was absolutely perfect.

Although, my enjoyment of the frosting process may have something to do with the lack of ventilation inside the TARDIS. I guess I made it a little more air-tight than I realized.

new_tardis_01.jpg

thingee

I suppose all that I have left to do is the lock (which I purchased, but haven't gotten around to installing) and the interior.

We bought some chalkboard paint, so that I could allow my daughter to decorate it any way she likes.

new_tardis_03.jpg

airwuf

Apr 30, 2013, 01:29 pm #67 Last Edit: Apr 30, 2013, 01:30 pm by airwuf
How's build going? ??? I want to build a Tardis as a garden shed for my wife, but we do not want to build it full size. Say, 6-7 feet tall. Does your plans scale your Tardis smaller? FYI: I live in AJAX On.

thowell3

May 02, 2013, 05:30 am #68 Last Edit: May 02, 2013, 05:30 am by thowell3
Nice Job, Recently some one contacted me about building a Garden shed Police box for them after they saw the TARDIS my dad and I built in the Library.