Mar 28, 2024, 07:55 am

News:

New, New TardisBuilders!

NST - 2013 Style

Started by stocklen, Mar 08, 2013, 09:40 am

Previous topic - Next topic

stocklen

Gerald

I know what you mean.  Of course a lot of people warn against the mould problem but venting does seem to spoil the look of things somewhat.

The only other thing I can think of, apart from the moisture trap device, is to re-paint the interior in a mould resistant paint.  Something like the dulux bathroom mould-tech paint.  Maybe that in conjunction with the moisture trap device might keep things at bay.

I have no idea, but will come across these things soon enough I guess!

Volpone

Mar 24, 2013, 08:06 pm #46 Last Edit: Mar 25, 2013, 12:23 am by volpone
I've got a floor that isn't airtight to allow for some ventilation there (with a plastic sheet, slightly smaller than the TARDIS base for a vapor barrier).  Then I used my lamp for a vent.  Mine just has a solar garden lamp as the light source, so I was able to have a small gap between the lamp glass and the roof (with a hole in the roof, slightly smaller than the glass).  Then I added drain holes to the framing for the lamp base.  So far it seems to be working (although it has been awhile since I looked in, I should check on it today).  Will I end every sentence with a parenthetical qualifier?  (I don't know.)

Yeah.  I bragged too often.  It is all damp and moldy inside. :(
"My dear Litefoot, I've got a lantern and a pair of waders, and possibly the most fearsome piece of hand artillery in all England. What could possibly go wrong?"
-The Doctor.

gerald lovell

Quote from: stocklen on Mar 24, 2013, 01:37 pm

The only other thing I can think of, apart from the moisture trap device, is to re-paint the interior in a mould resistant paint.  Something like the dulux bathroom mould-tech paint.  Maybe that in conjunction with the moisture trap device might keep things at bay.

I have no idea, but will come across these things soon enough I guess!

Thank you for the advice, stocken, I will give that a go.

G

raines883

Out of all the ones I've seen so far yours is the best. I'm working on transforming my front door into the front of the TARDIS and was wondering where you got your handles from. That's my missing piece I need to finish my project.

stocklen

raines

Thank you for the compliment.  There are many builds here much better than mine, but thank you!

The handles are easy to source.. they are just sash handles.  Cheap too.

here:

http://www.doorhandlecompany.co.uk/sash-window-handles-102mm-125mm-or-152mm-polished-chrome-sat-135/

part numbers AA96CP and AA97CP

Hope that helps.

christhetimelord

Hey, I was wondering if I could get a copy of your plans, they are clearly perfect and I am needing to build a Tardis exactly like this one for a friends wedding, could you help me out?

Thanks,
Chris

DoctorWho8

stocklen

3 months on... and the paint job is as I feared!

All is well, there is no damage but the cuprinol is not holding up too well.  I think its because I used a primer / undercoat first.

So... the weather has changed, and I have some rain-free days ahead....

I have decided on a new paint job, using Dulux Weathershield.  Its nice paint, easy to apply, but not cheap!.... Apparently guaranteed for 6 years so we shall see.

The only colour off the shelf that is suitable is their 'Oxford Blue' in the satin finish.  It is a slightly brighter shade of blue than the cuprinol, but it is acceptable and considering it is necessary to ensure longevity, then Im not complaining!

Will paint this weekend, and put some new pictures up when im done!

stocklen

Painting done... more or less.

May well do another coat but the paint went on OK.  Its a couple of shades brighter than before, but the paint is good stuff (and not cheap!) I am hoping that it will suffice to keep things protected for a while.

I discovered an area of water damage on the roof where water had managed to penetrate the ply on one corner.  Just goes to show how water gets everywhere and even through 2 coats of rubber, and 5 coats of paint!....

Still, thats fixed now, so ill keep an eye on it.  Hopefully the satin finish of the dulux paint will make it easier to keep clean and keep the water at bayIMG_3153.JPGIMG_3154.JPG

Volpone

Aye. Between the TARDIS and the garage windows and roof, I've come to hate and fear water.  I feel like I have a leaky rowboat.  And if it isn't rain, it is condensation and/or humidity.  Gives one a whole new appreciation for the Grand Canyon.  Even stone can't resist the persistent efforts of water. 
"My dear Litefoot, I've got a lantern and a pair of waders, and possibly the most fearsome piece of hand artillery in all England. What could possibly go wrong?"
-The Doctor.

galacticprobe

Jun 10, 2013, 04:53 am #55 Last Edit: Jun 10, 2013, 04:54 am by galacticprobe
"Water is patient... Water just waits. Wears down the cliff tops, the mountains. The whole of the world. Water always wins."
- 10th Doctor

Seriously... It's a nice build: really nice! As to the water problem, where there is still bare wood (maybe like the interior?) you could try giving her a good coat of that Thompson's Water Seal. This way if water does get in again, it won't do any damage; it will bead up and roll away rather than seep into the wood. (Hey, if it works as well as they say it does protecting those decks at Niagara Falls, then it should do well to protect the inside of a TARDIS!) Worth a try anyway.

Dino.
"What's wrong with being childish?! I like being childish." -3rd Doctor, "Terror of the Autons"

stocklen

Jul 07, 2013, 02:05 pm #56 Last Edit: Mar 02, 2014, 06:02 pm by deck5
New paint job update.

Well, its been a month and thanks to the ever unpredictable british weather we have once again had a a few downpours to deal with.

The paint has held up pretty well.  I never got round the a second coat that I really should have done, but have recently re-coated the roof and a lot of the sides including the columns.

The bonus of this paint is that when the TARDIS gets dirty - and it does pretty quickly with all the surrounding plants and trees etc. in the summer - it can be washed down with a wet cloth to keep things looking nice.

Being a satin paint, you have to be a bit careful with brush marks so I tried a roller for the top coat to see if it looked OK.  Its all good anyway, but when the sun catches it at the wrong angle, it does show up some inconsistencies.  My advice is not to paint in the full sun when its hot - it dries out too quickly.

Anyway, here is the (final) result.  I guess it will never really be final as it will need a lot of TLC over the coming years but its worth it after all the hard work making it in the first place.

photo.JPG

gerald lovell

Excellent work, stocklen; a lovely build and one of my favourites on here.

(The sideways view gives it a "Time-Flight" appearance!).  ;)

G

stocklen

Thank you for the compliment Gerald.

If I could change the pic to portrait I would!.... always used to work fine uploading here but for some reason its gone a bit wibbly wobbly recently!

mideeetwee

THIS. IS. THE. BEST.  :o

I can you upload the plans of these?