New, New TardisBuilders!

2005 plans or dimensions?

Started by DoctorWho8, Dec 06, 2009, 09:30 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

DoctorWho8

Dec 06, 2009, 09:30 pm Last Edit: Jan 17, 2010, 08:51 pm by scarfwearer
http://billrudloff.com/NewTARDISfront.pdf
http://billrudloff.com/NewTARDISsides.pdf
These are the current links.  I need to update the drawings as I have recently discovered I have the pitch of the roof too short.  I need to almost double the height.
Bill Rudloff

Edit:  I have now updated my drawings.  So for anyone who has downloaded them in the past 4.5 years, now would be a good time to get the fresh copies.

DoctorWho8

Feb 01, 2013, 10:49 pm #1 Last Edit: Jul 03, 2019, 03:35 am by warmcanofcoke
Here's my progress on my plans update. Thanks to Chris Evans for doing the Metric to Imperial conversions.  These are going to be idealized Imperial plans.  The measurements will be standard 1/16" increments.  This also has the narrower panels for the doors like I have on my original plans to reflect the props used on the show.

On the left is my original.  On the right is the idealized version based of the original BBC plans.
TARDIS Plans Comparison.jpg
As you can see, I was pretty darn close.  Just when you get to the roof it gets a little off on my original.
Bill "the Doctor" Rudloff

slidin_sidewayz

Don't forget the small details, like the fact that the pull-to-open phone door doesn't have 45 degree corners in it's construction- the edges were square cut. Also the window frames were all of the same width material, both outer edges and bars. The handles were different sizes, too, and there was a small recessed detail running around the inside edge of the square trim which ran around the panel edges (approx 5 mm). Also the posts had a chamfer on their outer corners but only up to the detail near the top where it changed to square, and the panel/door stiles and rails were routered AFTER they were assembled, resulting in a feature where the door/wall panel 45 degree chamfer did not line up with the vertical seams on each rail. This was rectified on the MST but was obvious on this model. Glad to see the sign box cutout detail on the posts is the same size as the square trim undef the sign box. (30mm on mine) Seems I got most of my boxes details right too, but that was because Breezy was even more particular about detail and accuracy than I was. :-D

galacticprobe

Feb 02, 2013, 06:13 am #3 Last Edit: Feb 02, 2013, 06:13 am by galacticprobe
Looking good, Bill, and boy do you have one heck of an eye! I'm eagerly awaiting your updated PDF!

Bravo!

Dino.
"What's wrong with being childish?! I like being childish." -3rd Doctor, "Terror of the Autons"

DoctorWho8

Feb 02, 2013, 02:53 pm #4 Last Edit: Feb 03, 2013, 08:56 pm by Scarfwearer
Quote from: slidin_sidewayz on Feb 01, 2013, 11:23 pm
Don't forget the small details, like the fact that the pull-to-open phone door doesn't have 45 degree corners in it's construction- the edges were square cut.

Actually the doors sign area is beveled on all NSTs.  Case in point:
tardis-david_00265539.jpg

QuoteAlso the window frames were all of the same width material, both outer edges and bars.

I see that better on the photo I posted above.  On some shots further away, it looks thicker around the edges.

QuoteThe handles were different sizes, too,

I'm not worried about that for the plans.  These are just for placement only.  Even on the BBC plans, they are the same size, so it's not a concern for me.

Quoteand there was a small recessed detail running around the inside edge of the square trim which ran around the panel edges (approx 5 mm).

That small detail won't show up very well at the 1:12 scale I'm working at.  That is more for a closeup detail shot.

QuoteAlso the posts had a chamfer on their outer corners but only up to the detail near the top where it changed to square,

Again a small detail that won't show up well at the scale I'm using.

Quoteand the panel/door stiles and rails were routered AFTER they were assembled, resulting in a feature where the door/wall panel 45 degree chamfer did not line up with the vertical seams on each rail. This was rectified on the MST but was obvious on this model.

I leave that up to the builder if they want to go that route., but I can adjust the plans for hat feature.  It just might confuse people not conserned with that minutia of detail.

QuoteGlad to see the sign box cutout detail on the posts is the same size as the square trim undef the sign box. (30mm on mine) Seems I got most of my boxes details right too, but that was because Breezy was even more particular about detail and accuracy than I was. :-D

Wonder what Breezy has been up to.  Have seen her around in years.

galacticprobe

Feb 02, 2013, 03:27 pm #5 Last Edit: Feb 02, 2013, 03:32 pm by galacticprobe
Quote from: DoctorWho8 on Feb 02, 2013, 02:53 pm
Don't forget the small details, like the fact that the pull-to-open phone door doesn't have 45 degree corners in it's construction- the edges were square cut.

Actually the doors sign area is beveled on all NSTs.

Bill, I think slidin_sidewayz is referring to the actual frame around the PTO panel, not the stiles on the door around it. In the New Series, the PTO door frame doesn't have the 45-degree mitered corners like those of the Classic Series - its corners are actually butt joints; the sides of the frame go all the way to the top of the door opening, and the top and bottom cross pieces are "sandwiched" between them.

Also the window frames were all of the same width material, both outer edges and bars.

I see that better on the photo I posted above.  On some shots further away, it looks thicker around the edges.

I think it's an 'optical illusion' of the outer edges of the window frames looking thicker from further away, caused by the bevelling of the door stiles surrounding the frames.

Glad to see the sign box cutout detail on the posts is the same size as the square trim undef the sign box. (30mm on mine) Seems I got most of my boxes details right too, but that was because Breezy was even more particular about detail and accuracy than I was. :-D

Wonder what Breezy has been up to.  Have seen her around in years.

Straying just a bit OT here, but, who's Breezy? I've been a member here since January 2010 (after browsing for about a month or two beforehand) and I don't remember her, so she must have been away for quite a few years now.

Dino.
"What's wrong with being childish?! I like being childish." -3rd Doctor, "Terror of the Autons"

DoctorWho8

This should look more correct now.
2005 TARDIS Plans 1-13.jpg

slidin_sidewayz

That looks great! The thing that annoys me is that Sarah (Breezy) measured the horizontal door frames or stiles as being 92 mm, and these plans show 75. I wonder if the side stiles on the box she measured had been 75 all along. One thing Bill, the sign box seams are missing. Just being thorough!   ;D

galacticprobe

Feb 07, 2013, 05:21 am #8 Last Edit: Feb 07, 2013, 05:22 am by galacticprobe
Great drawing/diagram, Bill! Is it still on the scale of 1 inch = 1 foot?

Dino.

DoctorWho8

Quote from: slidin_sidewayz on Feb 06, 2013, 11:28 pm
That looks great! The thing that annoys me is that Sarah (Breezy) measured the horizontal door frames or stiles as being 92 mm, and these plans show 75. I wonder if the side stiles on the box she measured had been 75 all along. One thing Bill, the sign box seams are missing. Just being thorough!   ;D

Well, I used this straight on pic of Tennant looking out of the TARDIS from "School Reunion", and I used it to judge my measurements.
2005 TARDIS Plans 1-13a.jpg

And Dino, yes it's still 1:12 scale.

DoctorWho8

Front and sides illustrations done.
image.jpg

Kingpin

slidin_sidewayz

You're probably sick of me making suggestions, Bill, but in my mind the post detail cutout that goes around the sign boxes is wider than the sign box frame thickness. I don't know the actual dimension- I made mine 30mm for aesthetic reasons, same as the width where it goes under the sign box. However it may be 25mm, but it is definitely wider than 20mm. I give you these-
Image005.jpg Image006.jpg
all of which were taken of the 2005 prop, (which is the one I made a replica of) but that may have changed in subsequent boxes.

ThisJustinOnline

They changed them to 45s for the New Matt Smith build. All the ones up till then had it this way. :)

Nice job Bill!

DoctorWho8

Quote from: slidin_sidewayz on Feb 11, 2013, 08:41 am
You're probably sick of me making suggestions, Bill, but in my mind the post detail cutout that goes around the sign boxes is wider than the sign box frame thickness. I don't know the actual dimension- I made mine 30mm for aesthetic reasons, same as the width where it goes under the sign box. However it may be 25mm, but it is definitely wider than 20mm.

Funnily enough, I asked Purple about these plans, and he told me they are not the working blue prints for the actual boxes.  These plans that we thought were real blueprints are actually done up by Department Six's licensed Art Portfolio.  And some of the numbers do not add up right to him, as he's worked on the fiberglass NSTs over the years.  They're in the ballpark but not quite correct.  I'll try and revisit Breezy's stuff.  At the moment my drawings are matching up with photos, so the cosmetics more correct now.