News:

New, New TardisBuilders!

Senior Project TARDIS

Started by linkjrep, Mar 06, 2013, 03:31 am

Previous topic - Next topic

linkjrep

Mar 06, 2013, 03:31 am Last Edit: Mar 06, 2013, 03:57 am by linkjrep
Hey tardis builders!!!  ;D
Wow, I can finally call myself a tardis builder now that I've actually started (after 13 months of waiting and planning). For those who don't know, I am a high school senior and at my school, we have to take on a year long project. Being the dedicated whovian I am, I decided to build myself a portable tardis so I could use it as a workspace. I'm going to be heavily using Astrid's plans (aka sillysparrowness)and (if she ever sees this), thank you; the video was an inspiration for such an amazing project. Anyways, today was super productive!!
base halfway done  resize.jpg
It started with this: a base. We (by we, I mean my mentor and I) just put some plywood on top of a redwood frame we made earlier.
and the first piece falls resize.jpg
cleaning it up resize.jpg
(ooh, it's me) Here, I had to use a jigsaw (I think, I wasn't really paying attention to tool names...whoops!) to cut L shaped holes into the wood for my corner posts.
two corner posts in  resize.jpg
We quickly made some corner posts, slipped them in, and then cleaned up my messy cuts. In my defense, this was my first time ever handling ANY type of tool so...I'm super proud of myself  :D
We repeated the process again (minus cutting the holes) to make the roof. We measured it a bit and adjusted it.
roof shot resize.jpg
So that happened. I'd like to point out that the wood on top isn't our final one; We were just deciding what size and how far away we should have it (so much for my dimensions. Also, huge thank you to Bill Rudloff for the plans.)
In the end, we got this sexy thing tardis quite far in just 4 hours  :o
in all of its glory resize.jpg
inside resize.jpg
Geronimo!

Also, I forgot to thank Scarfwearer for helping me finally get this up after two days of frustration. You rock.  ;D

Scarfwearer

Looks like great progress in just four hours! - though you'll have to be patient when you get to the windows. There are some shortcuts, though.
Quote from: linkjrep on Mar 06, 2013, 03:31 am
Also, I forgot to thank Scarfwearer for helping me finally get this up after two days of frustration.

You're welcome, though since I created the photo upload feature in the first place, I'm also responsible for the two days of frustration! :-[ :D

Crispin

linkjrep

Really? Good! I'm supposed to take 70 hours for the while project and I'm currently at 44! I need to fill in the time somewhere  :D
Also, 2 days of frustration was definitely worth the wait. It has given me a glimpse of....*drumroll* patience. Which I need more of.

DoctorWho8

So in your design of the TARDIS, you are making the roof and sign boxes one entity instead of separate elements so they act as a lid, like on the cookie jar TARDIS?
Bill "the Doctor" Rudloff

linkjrep

Actually, they do come apart. Part of the project was to make it portable so I could assemble anywhere (well...mostly anywhere). I'm going to be using this as a place to work inside (my desk isn't shielded by my little brothers: my artwork has been a victim for too long!  :P) cookie lid tardis....that's an easier explanation than "well I put this top on that's just like the base but it doesn't have holes and then I make sure it fits on snug-"

atomicgraph

nice start, and its good project to do. every thing looks to be going off  with out a hitch so your defentaly speeding along.

DoctorWho8

It's kind of like the way Dave Gibbons illustrated the TARDIS in Doctor Who Weekly and Monthly.
image.jpg

linkjrep

@atomicgraph, thank you, now let's hope it continues that way  ;D

@doctorwho8 WHOAAAAAAA THAT LOOKS COOL!!! I think once I truly figure out what I'm doing and start to develop everything a little better, it'll lose it's basic cookie lid look  :)

DoctorWho8

Since you've already got the signs boxes assembled, maybe you should go for a real-life version of the Dave Gibbons TARDIS. ;)

linkjrep

Mar 16, 2013, 07:44 am #9 Last Edit: Mar 16, 2013, 07:53 am by linkjrep
We meet again, tardis builders.
To Doctorwho8, it may turn into that. I'm not sure how to fix my mistake at the moment, but I'm more worried about getting everything else together than fixing my first mistake. I have an idea that may work but I'm unsure right now, so I'll do that part later.
*ahem* sorry for that interruption. I started building again (I've been building every Sunday-and procrastinating on this journal) and this time it felt like I didn't make much progress even though I did. Today's objective was...*drum roll* the roof!
But here I am. Here's all my pieces out and side by side.
pieces so far resize.jpg
I was able to carry them all by myself (individually, I have absolutely no strength) which is good! (I highly doubt it will last this way.)
the first step resize.jpg
The way we did this first step was adding the actual wood on top of our first level and then cutting out the center of it for more room inside (I think we are using this piece later for the roof. I forgot to ask) This is pretty much how it went the whole time; same process repeated again.
starting roof resize.jpg
roof shot resize.jpg
And then we started doing the incline. Unfortunately, my mentor had to leave and I had to stop there. Not that I did though. I ended up staying outside and doodling designs for the panels (I'd show but the pencil marks were wayyy too light and I also didn't like the way it looked; That's tomorrow's goal).
I'm nearly done with one piece of this project, so yay for progress.
standing tall resize.jpg
That's how it looks now  ;D Right before my mentor left, he cut the sheet into the right size and told me to start the designs and fit it in (if you look really really really closely, you can see the markings. I don't reccomend straining your eyes for that.) It makes everything so real when it's in, like "wow, I'm actually building a TARDIS, this is actually happening."
welcome resize.jpg
I just wanted to show that, because that's what I get to see everytime I walk in. It's a very nice view  :)
Geronimo!

linkjrep

Hullo tardis builders,
So today was a pretty big day. It's the last day I'm going to be building with my mentor (though he may return later to help with my final cuts for my panels) but we got a few things done today. Starting with.....
standing inside resize.jpg
The roof! It was so big, I couldn't resist standing inside :D We finished that part pretty quickly and fit it on. This was the first time the roof was put on by two people (first time I ever put it on as well) and I'm surprised it didn't weigh like a million pounds!
with the finished roof resize.jpg
First we had a roof and one panel (not shown)....
two walls inside resize.jpg
and then there were two...
three walls far away resize.jpg
a wild wall appears...
doors open resize.jpg
AND BAM! I got my doors on!  ;D This was the biggest moment for me because I finally finished all the structural building and I'm now able to start all the "cosmetic" parts. I need to start working faster though because it's due on April 8th and I'm technically supposed to have 75% done by tomorrow (big presentation time, crossing my fingers I don't mess this up). I need to start the signs too, so if anyone knows a good sign shop, I'm listening.
Geronimo!!!

linkjrep

Apr 13, 2013, 02:57 am #11 Last Edit: Apr 13, 2013, 03:26 am by linkjrep
Hola, tardisbuilders.
*hides behind tardis door* okay, okay, I've been a naughty builder and neglecting my journals (this one AND my school journal) but that doesn't mean I didn't do any work!!! and I'm sorry about that...but Spring Break happened and work got done (and of course minimal pictures were taken. Sorry for the terrible quality: iPads aren't the best cameras when you're working quick)
wall  resize.jpg
I had to measure for everything. So I laid it all out and measured. I made a lot of mistakes here (this took forever) because I didn't realize some of my doors are wider than others due to the way I made my corner posts...which I messed up on. It's fine, I recovered.
almost there  resize.jpg
there!  resize.jpg
[attachid]finally built tardis resize.png[/attach]
It started looking more and more like a tardis everyday (I woke up early and went to bed late: Spring Break was major building time for me) but unlike most builders, I had a school deadline (Monday, April 8th I had to be done) and it was crunch time.
I went out and bought the last of my supplies like paint (Behr paint and primer Royal Breeze- one of the employees recognized my model tardis and helped me pick a color out), plexiglass, and stickers for the plexiglass (vinyl, both the top signs and the pto door).
two walls down resize.jpg
signs and socks  resize.jpg
st john  resize.jpg
I don't have any pics of the PTO sign yet because I'm still working on them (teacher gave me a little extra time. I am not about to rush this project for a grade and have my hard work not look as great as it can be.) Also, thanks to warmcanofcoke for making the St. John sign (if anyone knows if wallpaper stickers can work on wood, please let me know. I'm not sure it will stick on) :D As of right now, everything is painted and I'm ready to touch it up and add windows. My big senior project night (all the seniors in my program- all 178 of us- get together and show off our projects) is on Thursday so I have until then to fix it up and add LEDs for the top signs (WHICH IS GIVING ME SO MANY PROBLEMS, PHYSICS DID NOT PREPARE ME FOR THIS- my lights come in tomorrow). I'll show more pictures as soon as I can, but until then, Geronimo!

linkjrep

Hey everyone, just a real quick update. I just got home from senior project night, where all 180 students in my learning community come together and show off our projects. Mine was a hit! It went great and it looked fantastic. Too bad my PTO sign broke as soon as I got there; there was a huge gust of wind that knocked over my door. I was able to repair it and everyone loved it and I'm glad it turned out so well. Ill post the detail techy tardisbuildery pics as soon as I can (aka after this week because I am fried. Seriously.) Geronimo! image.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpg

warmcanofcoke

I was just wondering how much of the year was left before projects were due.. Sorry to hear about the sign - but glad your Tardis was a hit. I'm sure you'll mend your sign in no time.  can't wait to see more pics of the build. Looking good.  ;)
why doesn't the Guide mention them? - Oh, it's not very accurate.
Oh? - I'm researching the new edition.

linkjrep

Apr 21, 2013, 09:01 am #14 Last Edit: Apr 21, 2013, 09:26 am by linkjrep
@Warmcanofcoke-Thank you   :D
Come onnnnnn then! The Doctor will see you nowwwww!
Okay, I finally got some decent more technical pictures of my build. The only thing that I still want/need to show is the bolt system I made to lock it into place...another day I guess (as soon as it's assembled again).
full build resized.jpg
Here she is, in all of her beautiful glory. This was taken that night at school, thus the people. One man walked up to me, pulled out a pocketwatch, said "it looks just like mine", and mysteriously walked away...
roof finished (resized).jpg
I wanted to show this, my finished roof, because I was really pleased with the way I attached the signs (notice the hinges. Also, I opted out for the not-accurate but nice looking garden lamp. It's solar powered so I don't have to worry about lighting that up). I have made them to open upwards, revealing the lighting underneath if I ever need to replace it and it makes it easier not to ruin when transporting. It looks like this:
sign lights (resized).jpg
I utilized the lights so they light up the inside and the outside (very well actually) although I did add a single light for additional lighting.
my lighting situation (resized).jpg
It is all run by (another clever positioning thing that I did) 6 volt batteries. I made a box and hid in the corner so I can identify which way is front and I can add new batteries later. That looks like so:
the battery box (resized).jpg
I made my top signs the same way as sillysparrowness, with false frames. My windows also have false frames (I glued them on), but I really liked Deck5's transom windows so I used beaded chain and a hook to make them open and close (I'll show those next update). Until then, windows (yes, that is a crack on the far left. The wind that knocked it over cracked it: as soon as I get money and time, I'll repair it.)
frames and the cracked glass (resized).jpg
the (broken) sign (resized).jpg
Here is my lovely PTO sign, all broken with battle damage. There is tape on the four corners and painted by yours truly. I would glue them back together but the sign doesn't belong on top so I'm considering jigsawing out the center and having the sign behind it. Again, time would be lovely and if anyone wants to donate some, I will gladly accept it  ;).
All collapsed and what not, it looks like this in my garage (to my parent's dismay due to it taking up space):
collapsed (resized).jpg
And finally, the piece de resistance:
mural resized.jpg
I painted the exploding TARDIS inside! I may not be a builder, but I am most definitely an artist (that's what I'm known as in these parts of the school  8)) so I couldn't resist doing a mural inside. I originally wanted the console but due to lack of time (and patience since paint is my nemesis) I chose Pandorica Opens. I need to finish that...more pictures (eventually)!
With that, I am off to rewatch tonight's (yesterday's?) episode going to bed. Adding all the photos one at at time has drained my mind of all thinking capabilities. Goodnight, tardis builders. Geronimooooooooooooo!