Looks like they did consider a Met design for the new series...

Started by the_doctor, Feb 28, 2013, 02:03 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

the_doctor

This might be widely known so apologies if it is. But this excellent design from Matt Savage from March 2009
shows a slightly more accurate TARDIS exterior design (barring minor details like the wrong sign box font).
Probably budget constraints got in the way...

MS03.jpg

bobjohns

Astonishing, I have never seen that before, what a shame it never happened. Guessing it was the usual budgetary considerations that led them to base Matt's TARDIS on the previous box.

Rassilons Rod

You're quite right, budgetary reasons are often given, it's true. And quite often I totally fail to see the correlation.

But if it's a new build... New materials... New workshop time... Everything new... How can the budget be the reason?

The only real difference between the two boxes are cosmetic. So if they're making a new one, why *not* make it narrower and
follow the guidelines set (for example) here? Speculation only, but perhaps they figured that all the New Series fans would freak
if the outside changed too much...
In the cities in the streets there's a tension you can feel,
The breaking strain is fast approaching, guns and riots.
Politicians gamble and lie to save their skins,
And the press get fed the scapegoats,
Public Enema Number One.

bobjohns

True. It has also occured to me that 'Brand' might not like a substantive change either, although Daleks, TARDIS interiors, Cybermen changes don't seem to bother them too much!

Rassilons Rod

Quote from: bobjohns on Feb 28, 2013, 02:18 pm
True. It has also occured to me that 'Brand' might not like a substantive change either, although Daleks, TARDIS interiors, Cybermen changes don't seem to bother them too much!

I almost mentioned those changes too. Glad to see I'm not alone in these thoughts :)

The design does look rather superb though :)
In the cities in the streets there's a tension you can feel,
The breaking strain is fast approaching, guns and riots.
Politicians gamble and lie to save their skins,
And the press get fed the scapegoats,
Public Enema Number One.

Kingpin

A pity it wasn't used, as it would've been a nice "full circle" back to the Hartnell era TARDIS design.

Mark

Very nice. Not 100% accurate but would have worked for me.

Looks to me as though the drawing is giving the impression the box is indeed to look like concrete too.

It was mentioned briefly by a member here (can't remember who though) that the BBC had toyed with the idea of using a more accurate Police Box prop and even gone as far as building a scale model (possibly the one one ebay of the Barnet box a while ago?) but the member wouldn't say any more than that.

superrichi1a

I think you mean the legendary Purple, who mentioned once that they actually constructed a mock-up of an alternative Police Box design for Series 5. He couldn't say any more than that at the time, but it looks like perhaps this is what it was!
Isn't it how ironic that we have to think of solutions out of the box, in order to build our boxes a lot of the time?

galacticprobe

Quote from: Kingpin on Feb 28, 2013, 02:51 pm
A pity it wasn't used, as it would've been a nice "full circle" back to the Hartnell era TARDIS design.

It is a nice design, but I think it harks more to the Cushing box than the Hartnell. (Though I wouldn't have minded seeing a true Hartnell re-creation, even in the Matt Smith color. I think that would have looked cool.) And it is a pity they didn't incorporate some of this design in the Smith box since they were building a new one anyway: the Top Signs (but keeping the background black); the moulding trim on the corner posts; the white PTO doorframe (Pilot version); and the PTO door sign wording.

Dino.
"What's wrong with being childish?! I like being childish." -3rd Doctor, "Terror of the Autons"

thecloisterbell

I wonder if they are going to use this design for Peter Capaldi. I mean the BBC confirmed that Capaldi will have a new police box.

DoctorWho8

Tempus, look through the recent updates to the Series 7B Console Room thread. It's mentioned by the tour guide the doors would be changing on the room as they are making a slightly redesigned Police Box (again!).
Bill "the Doctor" Rudloff

rob49152

At one point I heard it was the toy companies that said 'nope' to a new TARDIS shape. They didn't want to re-tool the line. But since then we've seen toys of the other TARDISs so maybe they've relented.

I really hope they'd go with something more 'classic' like this design.

fivefingeredstyre

Quote from: rob49152 on Aug 16, 2013, 02:19 am
At one point I heard it was the toy companies that said 'nope' to a new TARDIS shape. They didn't want to re-tool the line. But since then we've seen toys of the other TARDISs so maybe they've relented.
Was that actually fact though, as I posted that as a joke somewhere back in February when this design detail was first discovered...

I do hope they go back to making the box look more like a real police box once again. We have a near perfect TARDIS interior now (It would be perfect if there was more in the way of roundels on the walls and a bit more up and downy motion in the Time Rotor department... ;)

It would be great if they perfect the TARDIS exterior as well.... :)

mechanoid

Bill..Sorry, but I cannot find a reference to "Series 7B Console Room thread" anywhere on the forum!