Apr 19, 2024, 08:34 am

News:

New, New TardisBuilders!

Barking Road (and Stephenson Road) Thats K35 then!

Started by Dalekoracle, Feb 13, 2013, 03:41 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Dalekoracle

petewilson

Good Find Mark...any idea what year?
Incidentally do we know what year the Met Boxes were given their new (darker) Blue (and white Windows) Colour Sceme?
As my next photo(well photocopy!) is a strange rarity!  :o

Dalekoracle

No idea Pete. The photo is uncredited and there was no information at all regarding date. In fact there was no mention of location either. The old power station in the background narrowed it down to the East End, so its pre 1960's. Location came from a site featuring long lost pubs. (The Bridge Inn is now a grassy verge)

Not sure at all regarding the White Window frames. I recall it was mentioned in another thread, but couldn't say when for sure.

Mark

hb88banzai

Great find, Pete.

I think I have the position a little to the right of your shot from comparing Google Earth images and per the Met List description. 

I wouldn't have thought there was room for that building on the right. No sign of it on 1945 Google Earth - just what appears to be a wide pavement between the road and the railway bridge on Barking Road (hard to tell what ends where). Interesting to note that though the Met List says this is Stephenson Road, it's actually Stephenson Street at least as far back as 1940 (and considering Bartholomew's didn't update their maps much in the early years, probably much further back).

Canning Town Station was just over the bridge and behind camera on Victoria Dock Road (now closed off and partially re-routed for rail line expansion, forming a closed loop off Silvertown Way).

hb88banzai

Feb 14, 2013, 11:47 am #4 Last Edit: Feb 15, 2013, 10:13 am by hb88banzai
Quote from: petewilson on Feb 13, 2013, 04:08 pm
Incidentally do we know what year the Met Boxes were given their new (darker) Blue (and white Windows) Colour Sceme?
As my next photo(well photocopy!) is a strange rarity!  :o

Good question. There is evidence the change happened around 1950 plus or minus a couple years, with marginally darker colour for the boxes coming first (marginally darker than the 40s medium blue, but much darker than the mid 30s blue), then the white trim at a slightly later date. Even darker blue was then applied some time in the mid to late 50s. These changes don't appear to have been rigorously applied across the whole force at the same time, but rather when regularly scheduled maintenance repainting was performed.

There is some contradictory evidence on all this, however, so a more rigorous survey of available photographic evidence will have to be done at some point to try to get a more accurate picture of the time line.

Dalekoracle

Quote from: hb88banzai on Feb 14, 2013, 11:33 am
Great find, Pete.

I think I have the position a little to the right of your shot from comparing Google Earth images and per the Met List description. 

I wouldn't have thought there was room for that building on the right. No sign of it on 1945 Google Earth - just what appears to be a wide pavement between the road and the railway bridge on Barking Road (hard to tell what ends where). Interesting to note that though the Met List says this is Stephenson Road, it's actually Stephenson Street at least as far back as 1940 (and considering Bartholomew's didn't update their maps much in the early years, probably much further back).

Canning Town Station was just over the bridge and behind camera on Victoria Dock Road (now closed off and partially re-routed for rail line expansion, forming a closed loop off Silvertown Way).

Thanks. I'll change my name.
The whole junction has been redeveloped and is off by a few yards to the original. Canning Town Station is still there. And yes, theres redevelopment happening, though thats less to do with Crossrail and more to do with improving the local area and pedestrianising part of the junction under the dual carriageway rail section (no closed loop though LOL)

I'm local, can't you tell. I can even do the cockney accent!

Mark

hb88banzai

Feb 14, 2013, 04:54 pm #6 Last Edit: Feb 19, 2013, 02:58 am by hb88banzai
Love to hear it  :D

No, meant the closed loop is regarding the roadway - actually only semi-closed. Loops around the old block instead of continuing south along the tracks, and even then it's in a different position eastward (per the maps and Google Earth, anyway). That road next to the tracks is now railway track itself south of the station.

EDIT: In looking again at Google Earth, I think the left side, where The Bridge House was, has changed a couple yards, but the wall bordering the tracks is still pretty much in the same position. Note that many (if not all) Google Earth images are, to varying degrees, out of alignment with each other, so just clicking back and forth is rarely enough.

petewilson

May 27, 2017, 09:14 am #7 Last Edit: May 27, 2017, 10:51 am by petewilson
Here's another photo of this box from around 1964...
The group at the front are the famous  the Bumps In The Night
(Photo found by Dalekoracle)

K35  Barking Road, Canning Town.jpg

Dalekoracle

Thanks for uploading this Pete. Issues with my photobucket account persist. It's so annoying!
I might just open a new account with them!

The band was the BUMPS in the Night

And some further digging... the photo was taken in 1964.

If a higher res photo turns up, i'll forward it on.

Mark