Apr 20, 2024, 11:22 am

News:

New, New TardisBuilders!

Custom Hudolin/Yardley Jones TARDIS.

Started by drgonzo, Feb 13, 2013, 04:10 am

Previous topic - Next topic

drgonzo

At just about the four month mark I had finally reached the "blue" phase. My friend deliberated over a few different color samples and finally decided on an Olympic paint hue named "Annapolis Blue" for his Tardis. But first each piece was primed with Zinser 123 tinted to a medium grey.

When I first painted this color on I had doubts, but then it dried to this rich, deep, Tardisy blue. In Flat latex it was a beautiful choice. In subsequent paintings I fell in love with it even further.

annapolis.jpg

My girl was kind enough to let me set up a little painting shop in the house for the winter. So off I went. Painting away 'on the thin ice of a new day'.

Roof

IMG_5031.JPGIMG_5035.JPG

drgonzo

Doors

IMG_5166.JPG

Slipping the "pull to open" door in place with its brass handle, just to get the look of it.

IMG_5172.JPG

drgonzo

Feb 23, 2013, 01:53 am #62 Last Edit: Feb 23, 2013, 02:48 am by drgonzo
Door Frame

Possibly the most important component, the frame holds the front doors and attaches just like any other wall. The black cross brace is easily removable and is used to help stabilize the arch when its being moved around.

IMG_5181.JPG

drgonzo

Feb 23, 2013, 01:56 am #63 Last Edit: Feb 23, 2013, 02:54 am by drgonzo
Base

IMG_5217.JPG

In the photo below you can clearly see the alignment blocks attached to the top of the base. These correspond to the 2x4 cleats that run along the inside bottom of each wall. The cleats have a gap on one side or on each end (depending on the wall) into which these blocks fit. This makes aligning and fitting the walls into place very simple.

IMG_5219.JPG

Theta Sigma

I love it!  Especially that blue!  Thanks for sharing the exact color!
"I just put 1.795372 & 2.204628 together." - 4th Doctor

drgonzo

Feb 23, 2013, 02:03 am #65 Last Edit: Feb 23, 2013, 02:55 am by drgonzo
I'm happy to!

It took a ton of virtual mock ups and much gnashing of teeth until it was finally chosen as being the best looking, both outdoors and indoors. The color has great depth and variety, from a bright Yardley-esque blue in the sunlight to a deep Hudolin blue in the shade/shadow.

drgonzo

Walls

Each wall was first painted flat black on the inside.

IMG_5188.JPG

drgonzo

and given two coats of blue

IMG_5205.JPG

here is the "paint shop"

IMG_5202.JPG

drgonzo

Window frames

Each of the eight window frames was given a primer and two coats of blue. This was painstakingly applied with a 1/2" model brush. When I tried to use a larger brush I just wound up spending more time chasing drips then actually painting.

IMG_5197.JPGIMG_5198_2.jpg

drgonzo

Feb 23, 2013, 02:21 am #70 Last Edit: Feb 23, 2013, 02:37 am by drgonzo
To aid in assembly of each component I created a simple "dot" identification system. You can see one in the photo below.

IMG_5180.jpg

Throughout the build are these recessed dots painted in white. They correspond to identical dots located on matching Tardis components. For instance; three dots along the side of one of the walls, corresponds to three dots located on the inside of that particular walls corner-post. Four dots above a particular door corresponds to four dots found on the back of that walls corresponding sign box and so on....The dots are placed such that they are hidden by the very components they Identify once those components have been placed.

Putting the box together correctly is literally just a matter of matching up the dots.

Here are the boys, look carefully and you can see the white dots. The ones along the sides of the walls match up to individual corner posts that will install at those wall intersections. The ones above the doors match individual sign boxes.

IMG_5230.JPG

drgonzo

My house overrun by bits of Tardis. ;D

IMG_5303.JPG

DoctorWho8

It's a exploded TARDIS in your home. And a nice one too.
Bill "the Doctor" Rudloff

slidin_sidewayz

What sort of house you living in, mate? The construction of that is intriguing too.  ;D

drgonzo

Hand built log cabin. I didn't build it, but I know the guy who did and it took him 3 years start to finish.