Apr 20, 2024, 01:35 pm

News:

New, New TardisBuilders!

Central collar/dais/bit below the column

Started by kiwidoc, Jan 28, 2013, 09:40 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

kiwidoc

Hi folks, I've been looking closely at this, have a few thoughts to share and wonder if anyone has anything to add.

Looking at images, it seems to me that the out flared area tapers in and rises to the point where the swivelling arm is placed, then there is a little more space and the ceramic disc is placed atop.

!ab1.jpg

I think that the flared section is most likely a found item -that it is possible the top of a very large flowerpot which has been cut off (around 20cm high?).  I think that the strips of metal  inlay were probably added to fill up gaps in the original shape and were probably several arcs of brass/copper cut to shape and screwed on - you can see several spots where screws seem to hold sections on.  ALTHOUGH... the early concept pics do show brass sections so maybe they did add these intentionally and carved up the flare shape to suit.  Hmm.

ab2.jpg

I theorise that there is a hollow wooden/steel structure inside this flared rim and that it is this that monitor arm is attached to.  Looking back at the early construction pics, it seems that the metal weights on the monitor arm are real metal and once shone brightly, and presumably they are they purely to counter-balance the monitor and allow it to swivel without snagging on it's support rim due to uneven weight.   I really like MD's copy of these which has hockey pucks for those weights - looks just right to me.

ab3.jpg

It's interesting to note the lip at the bottom of the flared section - tha'ts what made me start thinking of flower pots, though I'd love to hear any other theories.    I simply don't know how to replicate this so will probably visit a few garden stores just on the very off chance

galacticprobe

Jan 29, 2013, 04:25 pm #1 Last Edit: Jan 29, 2013, 04:27 pm by galacticprobe
Glen,

I have seen flower pots with this shape. They're mostly terracotta-colored plastic (though I have seen other colors), and have a "curved in" top to them. They're mostly straight from the bottom up and do flare out like this at the top, and then have that curved in top. So if you go that route, you'd have to trip the curved part at the top to get that little "out flare" (once the pot is turned on its head). Then just measure how high the "collar" on the console is and cut the pot off there. The pots come in all sizes so finding one that's a close match to the collar's size shouldn't be too much of a problem.

The pot's walls aren't all that thick (about 1/16th of an inch or so), so I know it will definitely need some internal re-enforcement to support both monitor swivel and the column and its pieces. The "<" shape around the bottom of this does have the texture of those pots, but the black areas above, between the brass strips, are smoother so that part would need a filler and some sanding to get the smooth look without thinning the pot wall to smooth out the texture.

I hope this is helpful. (And I winder why I didn't think of this before?! Sorry, M.D. :P)

Dino.
"What's wrong with being childish?! I like being childish." -3rd Doctor, "Terror of the Autons"

museumdave

I am always struck by how neat and tidy this console looked at the begging of its life!  I love these photos thanks for sharing them.

What I am thinking about this part- is like this-  If you can find a flower pot that is the right shape you should use it!  I used plastic barrel, tire side wall and old school barrel hoops- and I KNOW the shape is not quite right!  It was important for me to have the centre hollow to hide the mechanism for the rotor movement and to allow the central column to move in or out depending on celling height.

Also- Hockey pucks Though close to the right size (a little small maybe?) But as counter weights they are quite inadequate!  The original has big chunks of brass- pretty heavy also kinda expensive.

But If you do find the perfect shape in a flower pot let me know where to look ;D ;)

cheers and good luck

Dave
"I could retire and be the curator of this place,"  the 11th doctor or maybe the 12th?

kiwidoc

Don't beat yourself up MD, I think your solution is really clever and more than does the job of looking right.  I don't have access to the same gear so I'm starting from square one and thought it would be useful for the group to look at what it might have been originally.   I'm also quite jealous of your barrel hoops!

Regards the weights - I wonder whether I could cast some in concrete... would that be heavier than pucks?   Oh well, plenty of time to think that over - at least yours LOOK right!

hobbitdude13

I'm tackling it this way:

Consolebitpdo.png

I had a friend whip up a blender model of this part of the console, which I extracted as an .obj and have imported into Pepakura. I'm going to use cardstock to assemble it, then use resin,fiberglass and bondo to smooth it out and strengthen it enough so it can be hollow for a weight-bearing support structure inside for the monitor swivel and time rotor. I'll post pics as it goes, and I hope it works!

superrichi1a

You utter genius. That is a fantastic idea, bloody brilliant. I can't wait to see how it turns out, but I think you've hit a winner. My own first hardboard attempt failed miserably, hopefully you'll have more luck! :)
Isn't it how ironic that we have to think of solutions out of the box, in order to build our boxes a lot of the time?

asimov

Hi,

Have you thought about 3d modelling some of the smaller components and getting them printed on a 3D printer?

Asimov
------------------------------------------------------
Asimov

hobbitdude13

No I don't own a 3D printer, or I would. I have the curvy "flower pot" and the two "ceramic" rings as .objs, but that's it. I only had those made up because they were the  (currently) hardest to try and make from scrap or purchase. My console is still light-years away from the smaller dressing and details of the panels.

asimov

Nov 26, 2014, 11:10 pm #8 Last Edit: Nov 26, 2014, 11:10 pm by asimov
Hi,

I didn't expect you to have a 3D printer but there are online services where you can send off your 3D models and they will print it for you. Some sites are not that expensive either.
I have never done it myself, but I may soon. As I have quite a lot of 3D models i have built over the years.

I mean for parts where you really can't find a part that fits.
------------------------------------------------------
Asimov