Mar 29, 2024, 01:49 pm

News:

New, New TardisBuilders!

Lamp struts

Started by slidin_sidewayz, Jan 12, 2013, 11:39 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

slidin_sidewayz

Jan 12, 2013, 11:39 pm Last Edit: Jan 13, 2013, 08:26 pm by Scarfwearer
If I might just point one more thing out, the lamp bars on the NST lamp went right down to the square lamp base and it sat with the bars in the corners of that base.
2005TARDISlamp01.jpg
There are a few pics of it being fitted wrong but it was mostly properly rotated. Very cool pictures though!

galacticprobe

Jan 13, 2013, 07:14 am #1 Last Edit: Jan 13, 2013, 07:22 am by galacticprobe
Quote from: slidin_sidewayz on Jan 12, 2013, 11:39 pm
There are a few pics of it being fitted wrong but it was mostly properly rotated. Very cool pictures though!

You are correct about the 2005-2009 TARDIS lamp. I think the "incorrect" mounting of the lamp you're referring to is the lamp on the Promo (or stunt) prop. It has the same lamp, but for some reason they affixed the lamp bars on differently, making them look like they "flare out":
25.jpg
Promo/stunt TARDIS Prop - auctioned at Bonham's a couple of years ago and won by a former TB member's friend somewhere in Texas (I think). It is the same lamp, but as you can see they did something odd with the lamp posts. (If it looks like there is no "box" under the lamp's base, it's because of the angle of the photo; you just can't see the box because it's sitting back too far on the roof.)
TARDIS-2005(medium).jpg
Promo/stunt prop in full so you can see the angle up to the roof - images from Bonham's on-line listing of the prop

Dino.
"What's wrong with being childish?! I like being childish." -3rd Doctor, "Terror of the Autons"

slidin_sidewayz

This was my desktop pic for a while but the lamp being rotated annoyed me. 
tardis.jpg

timerotor

Jan 13, 2013, 01:09 pm #3 Last Edit: Jan 13, 2013, 08:33 pm by Scarfwearer
Quote from: slidin_sidewayz on Jan 12, 2013, 11:39 pm
If I might just point one more thing out, the lamp bars on the NST lamp went right down to the square lamp base and it sat with the bars in the corners of that base.
2005TARDISlamp01.jpg

With all respect to slidin_sidewayz, THAT is highly likely a misconception made because of this pic.
From pictures (especially the one you refer to) it would be very easy to make that assumption, but that is simply not the case.
The picture which you have found showing the 'lamp bars' going all the way to the base...  (I don't know where that picture originates from) but it looks like a fan made copy to me. (or if it is genuinely from the production, it could have been one made for exhibition - or even filming... but it is most certainly a one off - whatever it's origin!)

All the actual filming prop lamps I know of (3 in total I think) (2 of which I have seen) (one of which I worked on at DWE Cardiff) all had the side bars added and connected to the circular base of the 'Guardman' style lamp housing. I think the one in your picture is indeed a one, so the fact which you state is, in fact, quite the opposite of the truth (in my opinion) :)
tardisbits2010036.jpg
get-attachment-7aspx_zps83ea1972.jpeg
And the only reason the lamp housing was sometimes rotated during fitting was to hide the fact that at least ONE of these side bars had usually fallen off. (they were only stuck on with glue!)

There, hope that informs & corrects, with out upset.
Best wished,
MBH
living, learning, loving, refurbing, & preserving!

DoctorWho8

Is that from the exploded TARDIS prop used in Series 4 or was it just really damaged in storage/shipping?  And thanks for the clarification and closeup details.
Bill "the Doctor" Rudloff

galacticprobe

Jan 13, 2013, 04:28 pm #5 Last Edit: Jan 13, 2013, 04:34 pm by galacticprobe
Timerotor had said that destroyed lamp was the one used on the crashed TARDIS (the one on its side in the shed?) in "The Eleventh Hour": http://tardisbuilders.com/index.php?topic=3346.msg38351#msg38351

Dino.
"What's wrong with being childish?! I like being childish." -3rd Doctor, "Terror of the Autons"

slidin_sidewayz

Ahh...  I see.  What I think has happened is that I started collecting pictures to use as reference when the series (re) started and that particular  picture is one of a few behind-the-scenes shots of,  I guess,  the original timber box used by Mr Eccleston.  It was definitely a timber box being set up on a street shoot by the BBC.  Once I had the pictures I needed to build mine I didn't really look at subsequent lamps,  which appear to be the ones with the bars glued to the lamp.  Sound right? Funnily enough the original authentic lamp I was planning to use didn't end up coming so I ended up using something more like the later,  bars-glued-to-the-lamp one anyway.   ::)

kiwidoc

That picture of the lamp with bars into the base is from one of the first public sightings of the Series 1 box, it was being assembled for a night shoot (possibly The Unquiet Dead?) and it was our first good look at the lamp, door sign and windows, all thanks to a fan with a camera (who later gave me permission to host them in the TARDIS Library for posterity0.  

To be honest, I've never looked back at lamps since then either since that was such a clear image and seems like such a logical placement of the bars.    Guess my replica is wrong but I think I can live with it  :)     So, it is a 100% real photo and it is 100% of the series 1 filming prop but it wouldn't be at all surprising that they changed how they built /attached the lamps sometime afterward.

- Glen

slidin_sidewayz

I guess it's a bit like building a KITT replica (which I've always wanted to do) but only going off the pilot episodes.  Of either series.  They chopped and changed a lot  but it all comes down to what you decide you like,  yet again. I agree, Glen, that does seem more logical and even similar to preceding boxes. The later lamps just have that tacked-together look. 

ThisJustinOnline

Jan 13, 2013, 10:27 pm #9 Last Edit: Jan 13, 2013, 10:30 pm by Primrodo
Also of note the lantern pictured above also has a spare bottom retrofitted as the Top piece under the lid. Either they Frankensteined the lantern for exploding or they had to make a repair at some point and could not use the original top portion.

As Kiwidoc has stated, that picture is of the very first sightings of the TARDIS and yes, the posts went into the base. Lets not forget that there were, what? 5 TARDISes built for Series 1, and then in 2007 they started making fibreglass models and then finally started making new builds with the thicker corners by 2008. Lots of various options, and it seems they eventually felt that the posts should attach to the lantern. Good on them for that!

Also of note, the "nipple" at the top looks to be a cast, and some other misc things to the original lantern!

whofan88

Well from the looks of it, it seems like there are at least 4 variations of the lamp struts. 

-The Promotional prop lamp struts attached to the flared ridge of the base and angled out to fit underneath the cap.
See galacticprobe's Bonham's Auction reply to the thread.

-At least one of the series two prop lamp struts attached to the corners of the square lamp block fitting underneath the cap vertically. 

vlcsnap-2013-01-13-17h20m25s123.jpeg
From a screencap of New Earth

-One prop in the promotional wallpaper from the Doctor Who website in 2006, with the lamp struts rotated out over the edges of the lamp block not in alignment with the corners. 
See slidin_sidewayz's wallpaper reply to the thread.

-The lamp struts attached to the flared ridge of the base and underside of the cap
See timerotor's reply with images. 
There's no point being grown-up if you can't be childish sometimes.

-The Doctor

galacticprobe

Jan 14, 2013, 05:39 am #11 Last Edit: Jan 14, 2013, 06:28 am by galacticprobe
There are a few more references to the early lamp (Series 1 & 2) and its struts here http://tardisbuilders.com/index.php?topic=864.msg16889#msgx16889. A reference to how it looked in Series 4 is here http://tardisbuilders.com/index.php?topic=897.0 (last post on Page 1) and you can see they've taken to attaching the struts to the base of the lamp rather than the corners of the box it sits on (at least two of the three corners we can see have been).

Quote from: Primrodo on Jan 13, 2013, 10:27 pm
Also of note, the "nipple" at the top looks to be a cast, and some other misc things to the original lantern!

That "nipple" came with the original (as in from-the-store) lamp. It had a large ring through it for hanging the lamp. (It was a split ring, and strong, but with two wrenches/spanner or pliers you could easily twist it open and slip it out of that little hole. http://tardisbuilders.com/index.php?topic=613.60#msgx4706 4th reply down) The "flat" under the nipple is an add-on (piece of thin sheet metal - possibly one of those blanks that you can knock out of an electrical junction box so you can get the wires through it?) glued/soldered in place to cover the hole left by the removal of the "bee hive" piece that went under the nipple.

One thing I did notice since this focus on the lamp, is that an original lamp has three "domed" sections, then the bee hive, then the nipple. The lamp on the prop (this version) has only two domed sections: the bottom of the lid and the next larger section before the flat, and then the nipple. It's a trivial detail, I know, but I never noticed that before.

(On a side note, and I think everyone already knows this, but for the newbies: in Series 5, the Smith TARDIS lamp's cap still has only two domed sections and the "flat", but had the nipple replaced by the bee hive part, albeit a smaller bee hive than on the from-the-store lamp. http://tardisbuilders.com/index.php?topic=1522.msg42533#msgx42533)

Dino.

ThisJustinOnline

Jan 14, 2013, 12:36 pm #12 Last Edit: Jan 14, 2013, 12:46 pm by Primrodo
Hey Dino, I know thats how the lantern works.... I have one :P

IMG_2203.jpg

My point was that the posted images by timerotor actually looks like the nipple is cast as the hole is filled in and there is no base to it.

And yes, that is another detail I say, they either cut apart, cast it and removed the last ridge. That whole lantern is amazingly bashed together. Now they may have cast it to use before using some of the tops for Smith's TARDIS though.

Here is a couple looks at the unmodded lantern:

488190_10151009054012756_1208524112_n.jpg

431405_10151009054332756_1916451511_n.jpg

galacticprobe

Jan 14, 2013, 05:33 pm #13 Last Edit: Jan 14, 2013, 05:33 pm by galacticprobe
Ah... Justin, so I see. :P Well, hopefully my post will be of help to newbies.

Dino.

slidin_sidewayz

Unmodded? There was no perforated cylindrical section under the top cap on that one?