Richmond-Thomas 2005-on TARDIS Plans

Started by galacticprobe, Jan 03, 2013, 10:27 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

galacticprobe

Jan 03, 2013, 10:27 pm Last Edit: Dec 06, 2015, 07:51 pm by galacticprobe
Greetings, All!

I've gotten the "All clear" to re-post these photos of the New Series TARDIS drawings that are on display at the Doctor Who Experience in Cardiff. These are a bit larger than the ones in the other thread, so if they look the same size, open them in a new tab or window to see them full-size; the measurements will be much easier to read. (Yes: these have the measurements on them.) There are a few more images here because when originally posted they must have been cropped a bit differently.

These were first posted some months ago, before the rules were relaxed, but I was lucky enough to see the post and download the images before the post was pulled. Now that we are able to post these, and I have, I can give proper credit for them where it's due.

All photos, credit to quiettype5.

2005TARDIS-Prints01.jpg

2005TARDIS-Prints02.jpg

2005TARDIS-Prints03.jpg

2005TARDIS-Prints04.jpg

2005TARDIS-Prints05.jpg

2005TARDIS-Prints06.jpg

2005TARDIS-Prints07.jpg

2005TARDIS-Prints08.jpg

And that's all of the ones I've got from the original post.

Dino.
"What's wrong with being childish?! I like being childish." -3rd Doctor, "Terror of the Autons"

slidin_sidewayz

Is there a closeup of the bottom left showing the details of the drawing? These appear to be the Smith Box to me. I'd like to see who has signed off on them and therefore by whose authority these are accurate.

galacticprobe

Jan 05, 2013, 06:33 am #2 Last Edit: Jan 06, 2013, 06:47 am by galacticprobe
The second photo down is the best I've got for that lower left corner. If you open the first photo in a new tab/window and view it full size you can see the whole corner, but the things in the little box are difficult to read.

Going by the style of lamp on top and the fact there is also no indication of the St. John Ambulance logo to be placed on the box (i.e. a circle on the right-hand door and line pointing to it saying "St. John Ambulance Logo" or some such): no, this is not the Smith box. (As someone said when the images were originally posted - before the post was pulled - this looks like the Series 1 Eccleston Box plans; the large "DOCTOR WHO I" in the lower left corner of the info table seems to agree with that statement.)

These plans are on display near the exit of the Doctor Who Experience. One of our members (quiettype5, as credited in my post above) posted them here before the Forum rules on posting New Series props' details were relaxed - this after learning the BBC was publishing them in a book. I (and a few others) was just lucky enough to see the post and I grabbed a copy of the photos before the original post was pulled: the Forum rules not having been relaxed yet back then.

Since these plans are on display at the DWE, I would say they received those plans from most likely the BBC (unless someone at the DWE made meticulous measurements of the Eccleston/Tennant box on display there and created these plans, in which case the measurements would be accurate anyway). Therefore I would say is it by their authority (BBC/DWE) that these are accurate.

So, enough said on that until more "inside info" on them materializes (pun indented).

Dino.
"What's wrong with being childish?! I like being childish." -3rd Doctor, "Terror of the Autons"

Gregory Hacienda

Thanks for posting these.  I went to the DWE in the summer, and it's amazing to me how quickly they change the stuff in there.  I guess, if you live in Cardiff, you should go every week to see the new stuff!

These are a huge help, as I plan on graphing everything out before I start the build, making a supply list, charting out each step.

I'm that person... I've measured once and cut twice enough in my life to have learned the lesson.

Thanks again!

DoctorWho8

Keep in mind that the plans were deviated a bit when concerning the doors.  The panels were narrower on the doors than the sides for the 2005 boxes. On subsequent boxes, all sides now match the door width. In weeks or months coming, I will be releasing a new version of the plans I've had available for 7 years.  I've had the public version with no measurements, but I've also had ones with measurements I've kind of figured out on my own that I've made available in private.  They will be in inches, but I might to an idealized version of these plans factoring in the differences in the door inset panels.
Bill "the Doctor" Rudloff

quiettype5

Aha! I took those photos back in the summer holidays when I took my family to the Experience.

I am so glad to see them being useful now.

They were, at the time, part of a huge photomontage wall near the exit.
I didnt take anymore of the plans, I wish I had grabbed a better one of the bottom left, I think it had the date on it.

I actually plan on going to the experience again in a couple of weeks, I am obsessing about the Yardley Jones and want to have a look again.

Enjoy the plans!  :)
Brachacki, Newbury, Yardley-Jones, Hudolin and Richmond.
To everyone else they are just names.

galacticprobe

Jan 06, 2013, 05:57 am #6 Last Edit: Jan 06, 2013, 07:02 am by galacticprobe
Quote from: quiettype5 on Jan 06, 2013, 01:21 am
Aha! I took those photos back in the summer holidays when I took my family to the Experience.

Thank you for making this known! (I'll be modifying my above posts to reflect that.) And thank you for taking those photos!

I am so glad to see them being useful now.

You, and about... oh... 927 other people (at last count). ;)

They were, at the time, part of a huge photomontage wall near the exit.
I didnt take anymore of the plans, I wish I had grabbed a better one of the bottom left, I think it had the date on it.

I actually plan on going to the experience again in a couple of weeks, I am obsessing about the Yardley Jones and want to have a look again.

Great! If those plans are still part of the display, take a good shot of that lower left corner. If you e-mail me a copy I'll add it to the ones posted above so everything is in one place.

Enjoy the plans!  :)

What? Did you actually think we wouldn't? ;) ;D ;D ;D

Thanks again for letting us know who (pardon the pun) the credit for these belongs to. You deserve it!

Quote from: DoctorWho8 on Jan 05, 2013, 05:41 pm
Keep in mind that the plans were deviated a bit when concerning the doors.  The panels were narrower on the doors than the sides for the 2005 boxes. On subsequent boxes, all sides now match the door width.

Thanks for reminding us of that, Bill. Some of us (me, myself, and I? ;)) tend to forget that. (Old brain cells.) Also, didn't someone say that after Series 1 they built a new prop (which might account for the sides matching the front from Series 2 on)?

Quote from: DoctorWho8 on Jan 05, 2013, 05:41 pm
In weeks or months coming, I will be releasing a new version of the plans I've had available for 7 years... They will be in inches, but I might to an idealized version of these plans factoring in the differences in the door inset panels.

Great news (especially about them being in inches; that covers just about every measuring system)! When you say "idealized", do you mean just the version with the front panels' width matching those of the sides? (Or are you going to do the version where the side panels' width is greater than the front's as well?)

Either way, I patiently await your refinements, and heartily thank you for your efforts.

Dino.

DoctorWho8

Idealized meaning they factor in the variances made in the final prop versus the original plans.  I may do the Series 4 variant, which had the walls and doors deeper set, like the Series 5-7 boxes.

marinedalek

Jan 07, 2013, 01:06 am #8 Last Edit: Feb 02, 2013, 11:42 pm by Scarfwearer
Here's a cleaned-up version of the entire plan sheet which I snapped at the exhibition in September. These should only be used for measurements, not as a backdrop for 3D modelling because of the distortion introduced by both my camera, perspective correction in Photoshop and the camera used to photograph the plans for the display in the first place.

2006-Box-Plans.jpg

I also have pictures of another set of plans on the display if anyone's interested. They're for the central column of the 2010-12 console.

galacticprobe

Jan 07, 2013, 06:47 am #9 Last Edit: Jan 07, 2013, 06:50 am by galacticprobe
Quote from: marinedalek on Jan 07, 2013, 01:06 am
I also have pictures of another set of plans on the display if anyone's interested. They're for the central column of the 2010-12 console.

Great composite of those plans! (You can even see "BBC CYMRU WALES 2004/2005" in the bottom left corner.)

I would be greatly interested in the central column of the 2010-2012 console (if those are permitted, of course) as I love to see how things go together. But if those plans are allowed to be posted, they should go in the http://tardisbuilders.com/index.php?board=102.0 Console Reference Section (probably in a new topic so they don't get lost in the other reference images).

Dino.

DoctorWho8

Hang on, the date is December 1, 2006? So they would have been filming Series 3 at this point.  I wonder if these are revised plans for the prop that actually came into service in Series 4.  Notice the diagram of the corner post.  The panels and doors are set back further and the molding around the doors is like on the Series 10-12 boxes. Hmmm.

galacticprobe

Jan 08, 2013, 06:23 am #11 Last Edit: Jan 08, 2013, 06:29 am by galacticprobe
Quote from: DoctorWho8 on Jan 07, 2013, 10:34 pm
Hang on, the date is December 1, 2006?

Maybe I'm going blind (wearing trifocals at any road), but I don't see any "December 1, 2006" date written or stamped anywhere on these plans. What I can see is that "BBC CYMRU WALES 2004/2005" in that very bottom left corner:
LowerLeftCorner(Table).jpg

If you're referring to the name of the photo, Bill, well, I have no idea where that came from.

Dino.

kiwidoc

Don't forget that the US date convention is around the other way from UK eg 1/12/13  vs 12/1/13 

Look just under where it says "EXTERIOR TARDIS"

ThisJustinOnline

These are simply blown up plans from the concept art from Series 1. Note the sign graphics and more than a couple dimensions being different than the final TARDIS we got. You could actually purchase these plans awhile ago, to the point I actually made a similar plan set for Series 4.

Attaching what my drawing set had.tardisblock.jpg

marinedalek

Quote from: galacticprobe on Jan 08, 2013, 06:23 am
Maybe I'm going blind (wearing trifocals at any road), but I don't see any "December 1, 2006" date written or stamped anywhere on these plans.

Just here:

datehighlight.jpg