Apr 19, 2024, 01:39 pm

News:

New, New TardisBuilders!

A transcendence of TARDISes

Started by solidbronze, Dec 31, 2012, 07:58 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

galacticprobe

Jan 01, 2013, 09:39 pm #15 Last Edit: Jan 01, 2013, 09:45 pm by galacticprobe
After looking through the grabs in here http://tardisbuilders.com/index.php?board=44.0 it seems that the front always had the blue letters on white. The weathering on the side Top Signs doesn't help when the image isn't close to straight-on, but in at least two images each side has the white lettering on black, though they may be from different stories. Is it possible that when the TARDIS was assembled for filming, the Top Signs that went on the sides were switched around if only one had the white on black?

Though no matter how you look at it, the front always had the blue on white, and at least one side did keep the white on black.

Dino.
"What's wrong with being childish?! I like being childish." -3rd Doctor, "Terror of the Autons"

mordrogyn

Oh my god how hard is blender????
I can't even work out how to draw in it!
I know there are tutorials, but tutorials are like instructions and who reads instructions??
(http://i50.tinypic.com/20kan9v.jpg)

DoctorWho8

When I got some time, I'd like to share a few more notes on your boxes to help improve their appearance.  You've done really good so far, just need to minor tweaks and you're there.
Bill "the Doctor" Rudloff

Rassilons Rod

My understanding is that after filming of the pilot it was sealed together. It was only broken apart once again in The Massacre (for the shots of Dodo running towards it on Wimbledon Common), and was always a bit wobbly after that. Perhaps that's one reason why they did the 1966 refurb.
In the cities in the streets there's a tension you can feel,
The breaking strain is fast approaching, guns and riots.
Politicians gamble and lie to save their skins,
And the press get fed the scapegoats,
Public Enema Number One.

solidbronze

Quote from: mordrogyn on Jan 01, 2013, 11:50 pm
Oh my god how hard is blender????
I can't even work out how to draw in it!
I know there are tutorials, but tutorials are like instructions and who reads instructions??

I did...

mordrogyn

I would imagine so given your excellent renders, however I personally subscribe to The Doctor's theology and throw all instruction manuals into supernovas..... well.... not really but that's only because I can't reach one.
(http://i50.tinypic.com/20kan9v.jpg)

Rassilons Rod

Here's another clearer photo of the clover leaf stoppers.

d2-2u-078.jpg

Public Enema Number One.

galacticprobe

Jan 02, 2013, 09:47 pm #22 Last Edit: Jan 02, 2013, 09:49 pm by galacticprobe
Quote from: rassilonsrod on Jan 02, 2013, 08:08 am
My understanding is that after filming of the pilot it was sealed together. It was only broken apart once again in The Massacre... and was always a bit wobbly after that.

From everything I've read on that subject, both here and in books such as Doctor Who: A Celebration and Doctor Who: The Early Years, and on a few web sites writing on the history and evolution of the TARDIS prop, you are correct, sir! (At least about the bit of the box being sealed together after the pilot, which is why they couldn't recreate the tracking of Barbara's dash into the TARDIS when they re-filmed the first episode for broadcast.)

I can't remember which story it was broken apart for - my books are still in storage - but it got very wobbly after that, and it still remained a bit wobbly even after the refurb. I can't remember if anything was ever said as to why they changed the roof so much with the refurb.

Dino.
"What's wrong with being childish?! I like being childish." -3rd Doctor, "Terror of the Autons"

Rassilons Rod

We knew it was the massacre because of the poorly hidden 9 pane windows on one side. Check out the publicity shots of Jackie Lane on Wimbledon Common :-)
Public Enema Number One.

galacticprobe

Jan 03, 2013, 07:33 am #24 Last Edit: Jan 03, 2013, 07:33 am by galacticprobe
Ah. I knew it was already broken apart in "The Massacre" (and yes, I have seen that 9-pane side window publicity shot: ugh), but I just wasn't sure if the prop was broken apart during that story or a previous one.

Dino.

Rassilons Rod

Jan 03, 2013, 08:14 am #25 Last Edit: Jan 03, 2013, 08:15 am by rassilonsrod
My understanding is that it was done during, just so they could do the publicity shots AND show it in the studio. Unfortunately they didn't have any spares yet, resulting from the cheap duplicates built for Celestial Toymaker...

I have a theory (that I stumbled upon yesterday). I think the one shown in the studio scenes in Terror of the Autons may have been the white two-sided one from The Mind Robber. Not totally sure yet, but I think the paint work is in way better condition in the studio than outside, and also in the next story, the outside prop looks equally battered.

But that's more of an aside.
Public Enema Number One.

davidnagel

Wow what an impressive set of renders there mate!

Permission to use in fan fiction related artwork please?
Regards
David

solidbronze

Yeah, go for it - with a credit (to Andrew Orton).

Cheers!

davidnagel

Quote from: solidbronze on Jan 03, 2013, 04:51 pm
Yeah, go for it - with a credit (to Andrew Orton).

Cheers!

Of course O Holy Orton

*worship him*
Regards
David

gerald lovell

I've been watching/listening to all the episodes from the beginning and have recently moved onto the Newbery box era.  So from that, it looks like by the end of the life of the Brachacki box, only the right hand top sign was black/blue background with white lettering; in fact, this seems to have been the case from late Pertwee onwards.  By then, the rear and left hand side top signs were like the front one.