Mar 29, 2024, 12:38 pm

News:

New, New TardisBuilders!

2012/2013 Console Room

Started by pmc, Dec 28, 2012, 03:38 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

type63

Also, are you going to add detailing to the console?

Kingpin

I'm certain he will, we just need better photos of the console before pmc can make some major headway on it.

type63

Yeah I s'pose. Bring on 2013!

pmc

Jan 04, 2013, 03:46 pm #18 Last Edit: Feb 24, 2014, 10:39 am by pmc
OK some more updates here.

The console is almost done apart from all the controls. I do hope to do these but as mentioned above, when I get more reference photos. I'd love all the symbols for round the top of the 'Whirl-y-Gig' section, I'm not sure if these are repeated or all unique, we may never know unless they decide to publish them. I'd also like the symbols from round the internal/external door surround too.

Most of the big stuff is now done. I have the secondary control consoles to do from around the edge of the main console plus all the railings. Once done I can start texturing and lighting it correctly. It's at this point things will take time as getting the big stuff in place is easy.

Just for reference I have added textures to the console as done by Kingpin (hope you don't mind Kingpin) to give an impression of the controls.

Things may not be exact but it's a starting point.

ncr06.jpg

ncr07.jpg

ncr08.jpg

Paul

psion

Well done, Paul! I'm really starting to love this console room and hope as different directors experiment with camera angles and lighting it takes on a less sterile look than it had in the Christmas special.

With regards to the whirl-y-gig, I'll direct your attention to this image which shows different symbols on each face:

newTARDIS.jpg

Kingpin

Jan 05, 2013, 03:01 am #20 Last Edit: Jan 05, 2013, 03:02 am by Kingpin
No problem from me, but in the final image, the two panels with large round elements should be in the other way around... with the panel featuring the "riveted oval" first, the panel with the six circles and two large flip switches, and then the panel with the currently undetailed circle.  The orientation of the panels should have the "six circles" panel facing the doors.

Aside from that, looking good.  The reference photos might be enough to help work out the feet attaching the console to its base.

galacticprobe

Jan 05, 2013, 07:11 am #21 Last Edit: Jan 05, 2013, 07:18 am by galacticprobe
Great render so far! One comment on the two "spikes" in the center of the column: rather than being lights, they're more like fluted metallic spikes. (See here: http://tardisbuilders.com/index.php?topic=4135.75. Rather than being lighted, I think they're just reflecting the light from the light tubes surrounding them. And since they're brighter than their bases, the spikes may even be mirrored, or white, but I'm just guessing there.) You do have their shape down perfectly, though.

Quote from: psion on Jan 04, 2013, 03:53 pm
With regards to the whirl-y-gig, I'll direct your attention to this image which shows different symbols on each face:

That whirligig does have a different symbol on each face in the above photo. The question is, does the pattern repeat after a few faces, and is there any repetition on any or all three tiers? It all happened so fast in the Christmas special, and I think most of us were still in awe of the technical workings of this column and the whirligig, that we didn't notice. (And once it got spinning it would have been hard to see any repeating pattern.

The key would be if someone recorded the special on their DVR (unfortunately I didn't :-[), and freeze-framed the whirligig as it started rotating, maybe advancing things frame by frame (if your DVR allows for that) to try and catch such details. It's something that would be a great detail to know. (I've heard the January issue of the DWM is having an in-depth spread on this new console room, so maybe that will yield more details. I just hope we can find that issue in the US!).

Dino.
"What's wrong with being childish?! I like being childish." -3rd Doctor, "Terror of the Autons"

Dario

Nice work!

I've been wanting to start my own model in sketchup, but i've been distracted by Strata 3D that i just bought in a christmas sale  :)

Doctor Who magazine out on the 10th could have a few more detailed photos, i might start mine after i see what's inside.

pmc

Jan 05, 2013, 07:19 pm #23 Last Edit: Jan 05, 2013, 07:56 pm by pmc
GalacticProbe I see what you mean about the central spike so I have changed the texture to chrome.

ncr09.jpg

ncr10.jpg

Paul.

galacticprobe

Jan 06, 2013, 05:51 am #24 Last Edit: Jan 06, 2013, 05:52 am by galacticprobe
Looking very nice so far, Paul! (Of course, you realize that as soon as I start to like this console, the design department will pick it up on my brainwaves and change the console - and room, again. ;) ;D)

Dino.
"What's wrong with being childish?! I like being childish." -3rd Doctor, "Terror of the Autons"