Apr 19, 2024, 02:49 pm

News:

New, New TardisBuilders!

7th Doctor Pocket Prop

Started by 13drwho, Dec 28, 2012, 02:25 am

Previous topic - Next topic

13drwho

Dec 28, 2012, 02:25 am Last Edit: Dec 28, 2012, 02:27 am by 13drwho
I have been working on pocket props to go with my 7th Doctor costume. This prop is the Eye Medallion from the episode The Greatest Show In The Galaxy. The medallion is a small circular medallion that is a key prop in the episode.

The original prop appears to be a 3 inch mirror with copper tape around the edges and plastic details glued to it. To me this seemed way to fragile to stick in a pocket and run around all day. I decided to compromise accuracy for durability, so I wanted to make it one piece out of resin.

I made a master version with wood and plasticard. I used a photo of the actual prop as a template.

After I was reasonably happy with the prototype I made a silicone mold. From that I cast three. They were sanded and painted.

I think it came out pretty well. One is in the pocket of my costume, and one is on display in my TARDIS room. Here are some pictures, let me know what you think.

Mine
7th doctor pychic circius medallion post.jpg

The Original Prop
Story 151 - Necklace Web.jpg

warmcanofcoke

looks fantastic- now you need a sword to go with it.  ;)
why doesn't the Guide mention them? - Oh, it's not very accurate.
Oh? - I'm researching the new edition.

galacticprobe

Dec 28, 2012, 06:28 am #2 Last Edit: Dec 28, 2012, 06:28 am by galacticprobe
Looks pretty darned accurate to me. How thick was the original? (It's hard to tell in that photo and it's been ages since I've seen that story.) Also, if you ever decide to strive for that mirrored look, I think craft places like A. C. Moore or Michael's have a plastic mirror that's three inches in diameter - more resilient than glass. You could use your castings of the eye (and "eyebrows/lids") and glue them to those plastic mirrors. (Not sure about that copper foil, though: no idea where to find any that thin except maybe in a hobby store for that foil stuff they use on lunar lander models.) Your paint for the copper looks like it's got the right tones to it, so maybe to heck with that foil anyway (too much work to shape and glue in place to get it right).

Anyway, yours is a great piece! (It reminds me of that charm called "The Evil Eye" or "Eye of Medusa" that supposedly wards off evil spirits - only on steroids! And who knows? Maybe that's what it was patterned from.)

Dino.
"What's wrong with being childish?! I like being childish." -3rd Doctor, "Terror of the Autons"

davidnagel

Awesome! Well done.

I had started the ball rolling on this one for myself but only got as far as a vector graphic and measurements.
Regards
David

13drwho

Thank you all for your kind comments. I'm very happy with how it turned out... now I need to got to Hobby Lobby and buy a chain. Thank you all for taking the time to comment.

The Jason